Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness > Armory

Armory Our modern, fully-stocked armory is where enthusiasts gather to discuss shooting and other martial arts, and related subjects.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,711 Times in 803 Posts
Default Firearms Safety

I thought I would post the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety. Please, feel free to add your safe practices to the list:

Rule 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again. Too many people are shot with "unloaded" guns.

Rule 2
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.

Some might call this the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 3
NEVER ALLOW THE MUZZLE TO POINT AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

Also known as keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, usually, but not always up towards the sky.
You may not wish to destroy it, but it must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle point in an unsafe direction.

Rule 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it. Most hunting accidents are caused by a violation of this rule. Also, bullets do not stop just because they have hit their target. Even the little .22lr has a range of over a mile. Ensure that you have a proper backstop, especially when not on a designated firing range. Always remember, public land is just that, public. If you are shooting, someone else may be hiking, camping, hunting, etc. Try to align yourself so that you are firing into a hillside, mound or riverbank, the softer the better. Richochets can be deadly.

The above rules are the basics. Any violation of these rules can and have resulted in property damage, injury and/or death. You cannot ever call that bullet back. Once it leaves the barrel, it will strike something. If that something is the center ring of your target, great, but if not, your life may change forever.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glockd For This Useful Post:
Auburn Boy (10-09-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,711 Times in 803 Posts
Folks, as we close on the election and gun sales skyrocket once again, please take a moment to refresh yourself on the basic safety rules. Even if you do not have a firearm in the home, chances are someone you know does. And chances are, your children will be in the home of someone who does. Much like teaching children not to touch power tools, hot stoves, curling irons left to cool on the bathroom counter, light sockets, etc. etc., please advise them the potential dangers of toying with any kind of firearm. I was raised around them, as were my children and most of the crumb munchers that pass through my doors. Whether or not they have on in their home, I teach all of them the basic's, remove the mystery, and warn them of the potential for danger.

Not one of my guns has ever jumped up and fired a shot by themselves, it takes human manipulation and/or improper handling for them to go off.

Thank You and Stay Safe!

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glockd For This Useful Post:
Auburn Boy (10-09-2016), Feather (10-07-2016), Sonny (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,714 Posts
Booze and guns.

I agree take the mystery from them and kids are "Meh".

Worked for me when young.

My friends who were denied went wild after they started driving and away from parental influence.

Forbidden Fruit and all of that.

Many got into trouble, PI, DUI, illegal carry or both.

Hoplophobes really ***** me off when they tried to kill off Eddie Eagle gun safety program. Too middle of the road I guess. They want nothing but a "Guns are bad!" Course which feeds directly into forbidden fruit.

Lastly I could never work the counter of a gun store. While pro 2nd Amendment, some people do NOT need to buy firearms. Not because of race, color or creed but do you ever just "know" that people would be stupid?

Tags
firearms, safety