Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

Default Any leather workers?

Just finished redoing my dining chair seats, replacing the disintegrating PU covers with actual leather.

There are a few off-cuts left over and had an idea for creating a small leather covered display stand for a couple of large scale Roman Centurion models I have.

I would like to stretch the leather over a wooden form and eliminate any bunching, but not sure what sort of shape would be best.
My other figure stands are just small pine posts about 3-4 inches tall and 1.5 inches on each side, that have been chamfered and stained, with some decorative routed edging at the bottom. Ideally I would like a similar shape on the leather stand but I don't know if that's practical without obvious bunching. Would also be a larger stand as the figures are about 7-8 inches tall.
Any suggestions or hints on the best way to smoothly form leather are welcome.
I have done some basic research into soaking and boiling leather for forming, but have not yet begun to peruse YouTube, or really read in depth.

Another option I was considering was to cut a cross shaped piece of leather that could be folded over a square form and hide the cut edges with bronze or iron strip, which I thought might be appropriate for a Roman display. Only issue there would be acquiring bronze or iron.

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Last edited by pave_spectre; 02-14-2017 at 09:55 AM.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,012 Times in 895 Posts
You might try asking in the dungeon

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

Trouble is I might get more than I bargained for!

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leather, workers