Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,172 Times in 625 Posts
Default Thinking About Making A Hammock ...

I was thinking about making a hammock. I have to do a lot more research, but I think I have the design down ok. It would take a long time to make - a year or two would be a good estimate. Materials would be a couple of hundred dollars.

I would need, as the current design goes:

3 5' 6" exotic wood poles - the more exotic the better.
2-3 miles of nylon string, maybe more, maybe a lot more.
2 Smaller diameter same wood poles
2 stainless steel rings
500 feet of small diameter cotton string

I was thinking about building a scale model to get an idea of the lengths of fiber I would need. This is definately a once in a lifetime project that I would pass on to my Daughter on my passing. I think it would be called an heirloom.

A bit of mental math puts the labor at close to a thousand hours.

Yea, I am talking about a hammock - go figure. Who would build a $20-30 thousand dollar hammock? It's ART! I could lease it out to wedding photographers?!

We're not just talking about a simple canvas hamock here. The wooden poles may be thousand year old timber pulled from the Suwannee (....way down upon the SUWANNEE...). Pillows - yep. Pockets to hold ice for the bottle of wine - yep. Book holder - yep. Thousand year warranty - yep.

I would use macrame, and general knotting. No weave! just knotting. I think there would be several hundred thousand square knots.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts

Like this?
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,778 Times in 857 Posts
Many years ago my brother built one. Its not as time consuming as you may think. There really is only a couple hundred knots. Probably more time planning and collecting supplies than construction.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,220 Posts
I just can't see doing that when you can buy such nice ones.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
flourbug

It's the act of creation that makes it so enjoyable, MH.

I can buy a can of tasty soup at the supermarket, but it doesn't match the love and care that goes into preparing a meal for my family. I like picking the best vegetables, the nicest meat, the chopping and stirring and watching and tasting that goes into making my own.

I can buy a pair of warm socks at Walmart. But when I slip a pair of socks onto my child's feet, knowing I combed the fleece and spun the yarn, and knitted every stitch to fit perfectly... it makes me warm too.

I can buy a gorgeous poster online to decorate my walls, but I prefer to look at pictures I painted, and photographs Jason took with his camera. These things have meaning to me. It is more than the scene. Those pictures bring back memories.

Surrounding yourself with beauty is good for the soul. If you are the source - if the beauty comes out of YOU - then it is all the more glorious.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Right...well my life is different I guess. I don't have the time, or the weather to enjoy a hammock, so maybe that is part of my problem. I also usually start handmade projects, and end them about 2 days later after buying expensive pretty yarn for socks, and only making the shaft of the first one before giving up. Most pretty things around me get ruined through neglect because I don't have the time or energy left to care for them. So starting a project like Andy's hammock would be a real downer for me in the end I guess. I prefer to buy something like that and enjoy it right away, instead of spending the money on parts that will never be finished, and therefore a source of guilt in my life. I guess my creative days are over.

Calorie Counter
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
flourbug

I have the weather and the perfect spot for it, but realistically - a hammock would not see much of my body either. However, if andy follows through and makes it, I volunteer to give it a test drive with all due appreciation of his creativity and hard work.

For most of my life time was a factor too. I guess that's why I turned to things that are portable, can be picked up for a minute or two and then set aside until I find another minute or two. Sometimes they turn out wonky because I lose track of a pattern, but hey... Everything is temporary. The soup gets eaten, the woolens get lost or shrunk in the wash, and pictures fade. I don't get upset when something is ruined. I expect it. If something puts a song in your heart and a smile on the faces of the people you love, then it is worth it. If not... go down a different path. Do what makes YOU happy.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
andy
Senior Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post

Like this?
You got the idea exactly FB. The hammock would be very similer but white (purity). The knotting, again is intense. Not a weave as yours shows. If yours is kotted - it has very few.... maybe a few hundred.

I counted 138,240 knots!!!! Which is 4 across and 8 deep times 60 inches wide and 72 inchs long. 32 x 60 x 72 = 138,240. The ice pouch/book pouch and pillow accessories would be more. At about 4 knots per minute.... around 576 hours Like I said, a year or two.

You ought to see the collage (painting) I did with 6000 postage stamps! THAT TOOK TIME!!!!!

It IS the act of creation, the work, and the final peice of art that is the goal. Most of the time, I would be watching movies and Law & Order (Etc.) while building it.

A model will definately come first though! That would give me my knot count, wire length estimate, etc.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
andy
Senior Level 5

Check this one out....

http://hammockcompany.com/detail.php?id=NH13P

The stand is about $400.00 before shipping. Again, my design (hammock) is several orders of magnatude more substantial.

I found MARBLE endcaps for the 3 rods. The marble encaps were $25.00 each for $150 for the project. They were cute - but just a little extravagant and a bit overkill. Besides the weight of the endcaps alone would be about 30 pounds!

Instead, I think I found the perfect rods and endcaps. Wood..... not heavy, stained, nice design for the endcaps (which screw on to the rod ends). The rods are about and inch thick and already finished. The rods and caps will run about $90 total. Less than I thought I would spend but more realistic - and just as fancy.

I am going to build my model over the next week. I just cut some dowels to a foot long.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
andy
Senior Level 5

I am having a lot of problems simply making a model of the hammock. The purpose of the model is to be able to figure out how much string I need. I also might get wind of problems that could ruin the whole project. One of those problems was a cup of coffee that spilled on the first ball of twine I bought.

Then I bought a second ball of twine from Lowe's - it was flat twine - not round!

Then I bought a big ball from Home Depot - it was round - but made of a combination of fibers that would not hold a knot!!!! Talking about frustrated!!!!!

Then I bought a ball of twine from the hardware store (Ace Hardware). It is round, It seems to hold a knot, and it DOES say Nylon on the wrapper.

I have a lot of work to do. I have been on the road 12 of the last 14 days. I might have to pull one of those 24-36 hours days this weekend just to catch up. But, I will try to get to the new material.

The thing about Nylon is that it is soft. That might pose a problem in that it also stretches a bit. I remember from my days of rope climbing that Nylon was a great rope to save you in a fall in that it stretched a bit rather than breaking your back like Polypropalyne. Poly is the fiber that cant hold a knot.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
flourbug

andy, what about cotton? There are some very strong yarns made for crochet projects like string grocery bags, that should hold a knot.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Possible difficulties with your project:

Calorie Counter
Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
andy
Senior Level 5

I tried out the new "Nylon" last night - same problem to a slightly lesser degree! That is a third strike.

Now, I HAVE worked with the material in the past. I am not imagining things here. There was a commonly available version of nylon twine that I used to use for macrame. Now, the world is full of "Posers".

To restate the problem again, I tie a square not, and before I can tie the next - the first comes undone. The fiber has to HOLD a knot.

Plan A: Find another source for a purer nylon.
Plan B: Find a cold six-pack of Bud.
Plan C: Select another fiber.

I can't have an itchy fiber. Itch is OUT. It has to be cheap, cheap, cheap. I'll do some research in the morning. There is a big craft show in McIntosh, Florida tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

'Thing about cotton is that it rots - Nylon is UV sensitive but will go on for a long time in the dark (storage).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
andy
Senior Level 5

I am going forward with the model using a different design - or group of possible designs.

In the middle of the night, while midway between sleep and wake, I came up with a solution set. The design would carry through to the full fledge hammock - but can be tested as a model. The model will also provide twine length, load values, cost, time required, etc.

And, better yet - I can post photographs of the model.

The longitudinal strength should be around 120 pounds per lateral inch.

The latereral strenght should be around.... hmmmm..... I am going to have to work on that one. I was going to say .....7 pounds per inch - but that would be for sharp objects?! I might have to rethink this again. I'm sure I can beat this design problem.

There are a couple of disighn limitations here. First, a knot will cut the load carrying capability by 50%. Second, the system is rated by the weekest link.

I think a good test to the model might be a "Weight Bell" of "XXX" pounds. I might have to get an engineer to do a load analysis. I know that sounds kinda korny - but I dont want anybody to get hurt.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
andy
Senior Level 5

The numbers are coming in. 5 feet of string will make 1 foot of knotted material. Therefore 6 foot of knotted material will take 30 foot of string. 4 groups of knots will be required per lateral inch for the major work. Therefore each lateral inch will require at least 120 feet of twine. A 5 foot wide hammock will be 60 inches times 120 feet or 7200 feet of twine. At 500 feet per roll, I would need 15 rolls. At $12.00 per roll, I need $180 in string - for the major part.

Rough Budget:

String: $180
wooden bars: (3) $150
Misc. string: $20
Metal rings: $20

Total - hammock: $360

The stand for the hammock - if I go that far might be about the same amount.

My wife sez that I should finish the model as it would make a nice "Stuffed Bear" hammock. I think she feels that I will work the desire out of my system before starting the big hammock.

Hours: As the model is going, there are several parts to the hammock:

1) The "Major Part": The Major Part is 240 longitudinal runs of square knots. Each of these will take 3 hours for 720 hours total. Additionally, there will be an additional run of knots running laterally to hold the square knot runs together. These look good to be spaced at 1 inch intervals longitudinally. 72 of these at 15 minutes for 18 hours.

2) The "Pocket" section, which holds the ice for the bottle of wine, and the magazine holders would take around a hundred hours because of the details. I might have to stitch the sections together. Pockets, assemblies to hold the two bars together - 60 hours.

3) The ring groups - one at each end should be pretty simple. It might take 4 hours. Hell, I will spend more time thinking about it than will take to build that section.

Wrap up:

Hammock cost projection (not including wine): $360
Hammock time projection (not including sample): 802 hours.

This does not include the stand.

Last edited by andy; 10-29-2011 at 12:36 PM.
andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
andy
Senior Level 5

This is similer to the stand I was thinking about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rope-hammock-with-stand-wood-combo-t.jpg (2.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #17
andy
Senior Level 5

I am still thinking about this.... It would be my OPUS!!!!!!!

Tags
hammock, making, thinking