Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Default Anyone starting holiday gifts?

I realize some of you crazy people start in January but July seems to be my trigger for thinking of starting holiday gifts. I'm not yet sure what I'll be making but I hope to have my fancy machine running again this week -- it has embroidery capabilities so I'm sure lots will involve that... somehow.

Whatcha planning?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
I can't think about that now. I'll think about that tomorrow.

Seriously, I am planning to delude myself into thinking that there is plenty of time, maybe think about it some more in October, realize in November that I don't have time to make anything by hand, and put together baskets of homemade canned and baked goods in December.

Again.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
I can't think about that now. I'll think about that tomorrow.

That's how I deal with laundry.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,923 Times in 1,857 Posts
Thinking about it. Want to do a throw quilt for SIL and DB, but I have to do both DDs' quilts first. And we see how that's progressing with #1 at this point.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Posting for purposes of peer pressure:

Think I've decided on making each of the kids a lap quilt and couple of pillowcases. I'll also make a bean bag game, cloth checkers, and cloth tic tac toe game (to replace ones I made years ago that are now half lost).

Still thinking on other things but I'll end up making each some sort of clothing as well.

Now I'll have to hang my head in shame should I forget any of this by Christmas.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
I've started. I've been painting terra cotta pots. I will grow some nice plants and just before Christmas put the plant in the pot and gift them to all those people who get little gifts at Christmas.

You can see many examples on Etsy if you search for hand painted pot or planter. The pots are very inexpensive - $1-3 for a small pot, up to $10 for a large. You'll need spray sealer, and I got the special Patio Paints on sale at Michael's (almost everything else just peels off when you use the pot). Then a few coats of non-yellowing spray varnish to protect it.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

That's fun, FB! I had the kids do a bunch of those a couple of years ago and we gave them as gifts (and kept some ourselves).
Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
flourbug

booger, here you go - just fill it with candy instead of a plant.

“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Hey, that's a cute idea, fb! I'm thinking of doing something like that with a collection of kitchen herbs in a basket. Of course, that means I'd have to actually plant the herbs in September or October....

Oops, better revisit post #2...
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Oh, cool Santa pot! I'd have never thought of that.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,398 Posts
I'm knitting hats for everyone - 5 down 11 to go. Was going to go all out and do matching scarves this year but we'll see how that goes!

In addition, I've been blessed/cursed with apricots, apricots, and yet, more apricots. Looks like apricot jam will be on everyone's Christmas list as well!

I also found some of those plain canvas tote bags on clearance so my daughter will be fabric painting custom reusable grocery totes for the grandmas & great grandmas. Inside each one will of course be the obligatory school photo!

Other than that, I'll make the usual breads, cookies, candy, etc and that will be about it this year. I'm really trying to cut back.
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,916 Times in 1,950 Posts
My sister collects dragons. This summer at the family reunion she hinted very strongly that she needs some placemats to keep her heirloom dining table from scratching. So I dug out the Asian fabric I had that had dragons on it, collected some coordinating fabrics, and voila! Dragon placemats.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Garnet

Placemats. Me too. I am always looking for fabric for placemats and napkins. I try to keep a supply on hand for gifts when I need them - and some for me.

The flat fold home dec at Joann is a good resource. Most are 54" wide and $6 a yard. This line is 50% on sale from time to time. You have to look for appropriate fabric content and style without any upholstery backing. A yard will yield 6 mats ( or fewer if you have to fussy cut around a design repeat.) So you are looking at 50c to $1 a placemat.

I have found plaids that I like, but some have olefin content. This means you cannot put them in the dryer or iron them, because this fiber melts. They can go in the washer and be flat or line dried - works fine for me. If you make them for a gift, be sure to include a warning.

Plaids that were coarse woven were fringed on the ends and other edges serged. Looked like rugs.

Other coarse wovens were straight stitched about 3/8 from the edges and fringed. Some that were not too heavy were finished with a rolled hem.

I have made table cloths from fabrics found in the home dec flat folds.

I have made quilted placemats, too, but they are more expensive and labor intensive.

I am making chef aprons for gifts, but they are more summer time gifts or for warm winter areas like AZ.
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
flourbug

If you have signed up for JoAnn's email promotions, they have coupons for 40% off any one regular priced item, fabric, and home decor fabric (a single cut of by-the-yard fabric, excludes sale-priced and clearance items, Red Tag fabrics and Best Value products).

If you order online the promo codes are:
regular item - EED213
fabric - EEFD206
home decor fabric - EEHD206
These promo codes are valid until July 25th, 2009
Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #15
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

no time to make ppl crap... I have 15 fall winter shows to get ready for
kaneohegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,700 Posts
I guess its time to bump this thread. Max and I have been making Canadian Bacon and regular bacon for gifts this year. The bacon is still curing and will be smoked later this week. The CB was sliced and vac packed. We'll do the same with the bacon. We've got some pear butter, peach butter, homemade beer and wine, breads and other goodies to add to some of the bigger gifts. The idea of buying "commercial" gifts just goes against the grain for us.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Garnet

Wow Bluegecko! Lucky people who receive your gifts!
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,700 Posts
We gave away the first package of Canadian Bacon to one of my clients yesterday. She was delighted!

The bacon is coming along.....Max sneaks off and massages it regularly...sometimes I wonder about that boy We'll prolly take it out of the cure this evening, wash it and let it dry overnight. Tomorrow we'll smoke it and after it cools we'll slice it and vac pac it. They're not huge gifts but they're done with love and hopefully will be savored with appreciation.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,066 Posts
My DW and I have collected favorite Christmas cookie recipes from each member of the family. We compiled them, along with some other family favorites into a family cookie cookbook.

We used the photobook section on the Walgreens digital photo site. You can make up photo books and add captions or text. They have all kinds of different themes for the background pages. So we picked a Christmas themed book, and just added text, no pictures. The books can get pricey depending on size and the number of pages you have, but Walgreens always seems to be running coupons for those types of things and we waited until they had a good one for photobooks (20% or 30% off I think).

They turned out great! We'll give them to the individual families when they come to Christmas dinner at our place.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
stars01
Member Level 3

I'm making my mother some powdered laundry detergent and she usually makes a bottle of vanilla extract for me.

paula
stars01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #21
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

In a most ominous voice:

It has begun...
Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,011 Times in 895 Posts
We put up our tree today - I love the hand-print ornament that Emily made at school in her kindergarten class.

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
flourbug (02-29-2016)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,444 Posts
The ornaments the boys made have always been my favorites.

I made tied fleece throws for all of the DGS's and their foster sister. Shania's is pink and tie-dyed lavender, Caleb's is yellow and tie-dyed yellow, Curtis's is red and AJ get's red and blue. I also have a cake that looks like a log for their parents.

I have enough red fleece left I could make DH sleep pants, if I could sew I should go out to Big Lots and see if they still have the little ones. They advertised one that was small and only $14.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #24
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

I finally got mine done and in the mail (Priority mail) on Monday. I guess they are trivets, but could be used under a plant to protect furniture. I kept seeing this really nice inexpensive tile at Lowe's and Home Depot and wanted to make something out of it, so this was it. One is glass and tumbled marble tiles, the other two have stainless steel and stone tiles. They are about 5.5" square and they have felt feet on the bottom. Total cost for each one, including Priority mail, was only about $10 each.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1937-1.jpg (119.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1942-1.jpg (140.0 KB, 32 views)
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #25
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

those are nice... I have a buncha tile in my basement that is mosaic tile I really need to explore using.

Tags
gifts, holiday, starting