Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,723 Posts
Default The Goat and Sheep Thread

We've been working hard fencing in a small "pasture" and getting ready for goats. We're interested in meat goats and have spent a lot of time doing our homework before getting into this game. We like the Kiko breed for its hardiness, parasite resistance, good birthing and mothering skills and temperament.

http://www.kikogoats.net/

http://www.butterflyhillfarmgoats.com/

There has been a big upswing in the goat industry and lots of breeding going into meat-type goats. TexMaster goats are one of the results of this type of program. These are Boer/Mytonic goat crosses like the ones pictured here:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/texmastergoats.html

Another new arrival on the meat scene is the Genemaster goat, a cross between Kiko and Boer:

http://www.extension.org/pages/19292...eds-genemaster

We've looked and looked for good candidates for our little hobby and today we found them!!

They full Kiko/Texmaster cross. The Nanny looks like the tan and white nanny in the second Kiko link and the Billy looks like the white buck , OCR Hayes, in the TexMaster link but much younger and therefore not as stocky. Both are full blooded though not registered. In fact the buck came from Onion Creek Ranch! We bought twin doelings and they are absolutely adorable. They're spotty black and white and we'll bring them home in about a week! The best part is the folks that have them don't live far at all. I've been following their farm on facebook and after contacting them found out that I've know the wife since she was a wee tot. She's a year younger than my DD. Her mom and I have been friends for a long time. Sometimes things just work out don't they?Pics soon.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The fencing is finally finished and we have a small area ready for the goats when they first come. We want to have time to get them use to us and their new surroundings in a more confined space before we open up the larger "pasture".

Next step is to make arrangements for bringing them home!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We brought the goats home Thursday and they've been settling in nicely. Today we plan to introduce them to the larger pasture. There's a patch of vinca minor in that area thats a worry but goats don't prefer it and it can be killed out by trampling. Our plan is to start walking a path from the shelter through the vinca patch to the browsing area. We'll expant the path and encircle some areas that we can then burn off to further the eradication/control. The doelings are sooo cute and they've got sweet personalities to go with.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Aren't they sweet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0254.jpg (227.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0255.jpg (224.8 KB, 90 views)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,200 Times in 4,481 Posts
Okay, the pics hooked me. lol

My middle daughter always wanted to be a "goat farmer". All the while she was growing up, whenever anyone asked her what she wanted to be when she was older, she'd tell them she wanted to raise goats. The look on people's faces when she replied was priceless. Baby goats are sooo sweet!
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Max named them Nillie and Gillie LOL. The one on the left in these pics is Nillie. Ruby is completely taken with them and they like her as well. We're delighted. Instinct is such a wonderful thing.

Last edited by blue gecko; 05-08-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Meet Ralph! He's a TexMaster/Kiko Billy 1 year old and he's a beauty:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0264.jpg (218.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0265.jpg (219.2 KB, 85 views)

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The goats are doing so well. We love watching them play and its amazing to see how quickly they are eating down the overgrowth in their pasture. They are adjusting to the other critters in their pasture and take little notice when the poultry comes to visit them. We have a great view of the area from the deck so we get to see them play. Its pure joy!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
What a wonderful addition to the homestead!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,472 Posts
Never take your car in to get detailed and tell them that those are goat hoof prints on the hood. They just can't deal with that in a big city.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,239 Posts
So what are your plans for the goats? Do you like eating them, goat milk, or are they just furry lawn mowers? Personally, I could only use them as lawn mowers, as I don't like their flavor in any form.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

These goats have been bred for meat. We chose them specifically for those qualities. They come from an excellent line of TexMasters, a newly developed breed bred from Boers and Tennessee Meat Goats (Myotonic) crossed with a high quality Kiko line. Kids are in high demand by small time homesteaders like us. Our Does and Buck are of the same high quality but unrelated so they will be the foundation of a small herd. Once we get that herd going we'll sell some and put some in the freezer.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,239 Posts
I'm such a wimp. I don't like knowing and petting my food, but I can deal with eggs.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,351 Times in 395 Posts
I so very much enjoy reading your posts, BG and Max! Thanks for sharing your lives with us.

HUGS!

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

You're welcome spinner! We realize there aren't a lot of homesteaders on this forum (yet ) Perhaps, if we build it they will come. In the meantime its awfully nice to be able to share our lives with our on-line friends. It is our hope that more folks of like mind will join this forum, share their experiences and help build an information base...something the folks here at TBM are exceptionally good at doing!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Some handy goat links:

http://goat-link.com/

http://www.olsonacres.com/Goat%20Care.htm

also Homesteading Today has a great goat forum

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Little by little we're learning more about raising goats. So far they seem to be thriving and its impressive how they are working through the forage in their pen. Every day they do something hilarious. Its a joy to have them.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
blue - I'm another one who thoroughly enjoys your posts. Hmesteading isn't possible for us for a plethora of very good reasons. But I thoroughly support anyone with the gumption & skills to do so & very much enjoy the info the two of you so very generously share with us.

A lot of what you tell us, tips/techniques... can be adapted for use in more conventional 'life settings' - suburban houses, apartments, non-homestead country property. And even what can't is fun to know.

I love Max's work - what he's shared with us in photos & on video. Your crops & critters.. well, I can almost taste them & at least with the ritters - they're cute to see.

Hopefully, more homesteaders will find their way here or better yet, you sharing your adventures here may nudge some current posters into taking those first steps.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Gilly is expecting, we're not really sure when but soon. Her bag is filling and we have the impression she's scouting out a "nest". Nilly may be expecting but it will be awhile possibly around July 1. It will be our first time to become goat grannies

Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Hey Booger!! Don't I remember you mentioning that you had developed a goat worming formula? I know you're really busy right now but when you get a chance would you share it with us? Please, pretty please??

Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Keep in mind that I'm not a know-it-all, no matter what I tell my kids. This is just what I came up with after mucho anal reading and I'm sticking with Fias Co Farm's dosing & timing since it's very similar to hers.

Wormwood forumla. Do not give to pregnant does. Feed once each day for three successive days, doing this once every two months.

1 part wormwood
2 parts black walnut hull
2 parts fennel

Weekly formula. Give once weekly, except for the week you are giving the wormwood formula. Safe for even pregnant does.

2 parts pumpkin seeds
1 part fennel
1 part mugwort
1 part thyme
1 part hyssop
1 part cloves
1 part brown mustard seed

I used 1-2 tablespoons of the mix for each goat, depending on size. (One very scant tablespoon for a small kid. Up to two tablespoons for a big, beefy buck. Use your own judgment here.)

You can either sprinkle on their feed if they'll take it that way and you have individual feeding stations so as to ensure each goat gets its proper dosage. Or you can make "dosage balls" per Fias Co Farm. I use 1 part slippery elm to 2 parts of the herbal mixture and mix with roughly 1 part (unsulphured) molasses and/or honey, as stated at the link. The goats all LOVE them! It's so much easier than trying to get them to eat the dry mix sprinkled over their feed or, even worse, drenching them with it.

I've recently obtained a microscope again (yay!) so I'm going to start doing my own worm counts to verify for myself that things are working or tweak as needed.
blue gecko (03-05-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

This morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0545.jpg (211.2 KB, 37 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
driveshesaid (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Congrats!

These are meat goats, right? Or do you plan on milking her as well? I'm sure you already said that somewhere but I'm a space case and can't remember.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Yes, these are meat goats (Kiko/Texmaster crosses). This is a little buckling. I don't know if the doe is finished. She sure looks like there could be another. She doesn't seem stressed at all so we're just keeping an eye on her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0548.jpg (210.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0549.jpg (209.3 KB, 6 views)

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

http://fiascofarm.com/

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/

Old 03-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Good article on marketing goats:

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...F/FSA-3094.pdf

Tags
boer, dorper, goat, katahdin, kiko, meat goats, sheep, texmaster