Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
lilargal

Default Score!!

Just scored 2 boxes of sewing patterns for $2.00 and a free cloth measuring tape. Had to share.
lilargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,034 Times in 4,411 Posts
YAY! Congrats on your haul!

A few months ago I paid $40 for over $250 worth of roving that I found on Craigslist. I just spun up some delicious pure alpaca and now I have to figure out what to do with it. There's a ton of silk, several types of wool, cashmere, and more alpaca in different shades. It filled a big basket to the top.

Now I'm on the hunt for a jar of buttons. Not plastic crap. I want the type of high quality, clipped off of discarded clothes, buttons that Grandma used to hoard in a big tin under her bed. lol
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,701 Posts
Way cool!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
lilargal

Ohhhh that was a very nice find! I love deals! I saw some buttons earlier today $8 for a pint jar. Still seemed a little steep to me, but then again they didn't look all that great either. If I find a good score on some I might share!
The Following User Says Thank You to lilargal For This Useful Post:
flourbug (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
flourbug

When I lived up north I found a lot of goodness at garage sales. That's mostly because I like old stuff, and they have plenty of it up there. In Florida it's rare to find anything worthwhile. People leave their antiques and woolen clothes behind in favor of beachy decor and a flip flop wardrobe.

I used to check a site that allowed me to search multiple Craigslist locations but CL doesn't like those types of sites and blocked them. I'd have about 50 different keywords to scan through, and often got good deals - and if it was close to one of my daughters I'd have them run out and snag the item. They really took the wind out of my sails closing that site down.

DD#1 found a great way to recycle baby equipment. She belongs to at least a dozen 'moms of multiples" and new mom type Facebook groups. They put used items up for sale - and you know how babies can outgrow things before you even have a chance to cut the tags off - and buy from each other. The prices are usually MUCH better than CL, or even local advertisements. I haven't looked for craft groups but I bet they have some.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
lilargal

Pretty neat - I belong to some "destash" groups for the same reason. Scored again today though, all this in the pic, bolts piled on the couch and 2 bags, for $24!

No good buttons to be had though. Not for a reasonable price anyway. Maybe next time!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
flourbug

$24? WOW! What are these destash groups you belong to and how do I join? The buttons can wait, that fabric is an incredible deal.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,962 Times in 1,956 Posts
I do not need more fabric, I do not need more fabric, I do not need more fabric, I do not need more fabric...

One of my SCA outfits I call the $20 Italian Ren. A local hole-in-the-wall fabric store was switching to a quilt shop, and had all of its luxury fabrics on deep, deep discount. I got 3 bolt-ends: 2 yards of golden-brown cotton velveteen, 2 yards of peacock-blue brocade, and 1/2 yard cream silk for $1/yard. Juuuust enough, with very judicious piecing, for a box-pleated skirt (brown outside, brocade underneath) and brown bodice, with attached slashed peacock sleeves. The silk became undersleeves to puff out of the slashes. The other $15.50 was spent on trims and carnelians in settings to tie the sleeves together.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
lilargal

The destash groups are on Facebook - I got the above at another local sale (same as first post) it's a once a year event with basically yard sales on Hwy 64 in Arkansas...miles and miles of them. But the destash groups are great too! I can usually average $1-$2 a yard or less on those if I wait for the "it's gotta go" sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilargal For This Useful Post:
flourbug (08-09-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
lilargal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
I do not need more fabric, I do not need more fabric, I do not need more fabric, I do not need more fabric...

One of my SCA outfits I call the $20 Italian Ren. A local hole-in-the-wall fabric store was switching to a quilt shop, and had all of its luxury fabrics on deep, deep discount. I got 3 bolt-ends: 2 yards of golden-brown cotton velveteen, 2 yards of peacock-blue brocade, and 1/2 yard cream silk for $1/yard. Juuuust enough, with very judicious piecing, for a box-pleated skirt (brown outside, brocade underneath) and brown bodice, with attached slashed peacock sleeves. The silk became undersleeves to puff out of the slashes. The other $15.50 was spent on trims and carnelians in settings to tie the sleeves together.

Love it!

Tags
score