Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Default Where to put all the yarn you bought at the Yarn Truck?!?

In the Yarn Room, of course!

D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to D. Gale For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-19-2016), Feather (02-19-2016), flourbug (02-19-2016), Mousehound (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
WVDragonlady
Working on it

I have shopping bags full of different yarns I picked at the goodwill store. I have sachets of lavender in with them so I'm hoping they keep until I buy some plastic containers for them
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVDragonlady For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,556 Times in 4,609 Posts
I put my wool in plastic baggies. The fiber is in plastic garbage bags. So far, no moths or other critters.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Wojapi
Member Level 4

Freeze your yarn for ten days, like grain.

--Mother Teresa
Wojapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wojapi For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,435 Times in 419 Posts
Ahhhh, DGale, you are my kind of woman. You too, FB. I love yarn. Can't ever have too much of it! I taught a verbal spinning class years and years ago on the internet, with only words of explanation and the help of photos in a beginners spinning book. Was truly amazed at how many women taught themselves to spin, and spin well, just from my efforts! Loved it! Probably will end up being my only claim to fame.

Anyway I have about 35 yers of experience with storing wool. And I very strongly advise storing it in ~paper~ grocery bags and putting them inside plastic ones. Reason being is air pressure changing with weather fronts coming and going will make the yarn contract and expand. Especially the super fine wool like mohair and silk. I lost half a pound of very expensive mohair that way. When I put that gorgeous sliver in the plastic bag it was wider than my hand. When I went to get it a year or o later, it had felted itself into a rope about 1 1/2" wide. And nothing I did to it made it spinable again. I wept crocodile tears for weeks.

Wool will still contract and relax with each front coming thru, but the bag is rough and it can't slide around in the paper like it can and will and does against the plastic. Just my experience, FWIW.

Anyone heard from Booger and family?? She's been missing an awfully long time now.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinnerholic For This Useful Post:
D. Gale (02-20-2016), NowVoyager (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
flourbug

I haven't done any spinning in almost a year, and my knitting has been on hold since November. My spare time is spent with my sister. I was knitting up a storm while she was ill - knitting on the commute there and back and also while I was sitting in her room. I made a big shawl and a couple of lace scarves. Then a nurse told me not to knit in her room because she was on oxygen and a spark could cause a fire (really? after five months of knitting right next to her bed, they think of this?) Then Jason asked me not to knit in the car because I was getting baby blue fuzz all over. It was just a couple of tiny wisps of mohair...

I don't have time to knit in the house. Other things take priority.

That baby blue scarf is sitting here next to me. I just pulled it out of the bag and I WILL finish it.

But first, Girl Scout cookies!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-21-2016), NowVoyager (02-24-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #7
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
a) That's a new one -- I don't think I've ever heard of anyone striking a spark with knitting needles. Maybe Swedish Firesteel needles? I can see a whole new market with preppers.

b) Can you knit with plastic or wooden needles?
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,222 Times in 2,048 Posts
My mother had a yarn room. Dad built it onto their mobile home for her when he put in a family room. About 5 feet wide and 12 feet deep. (When they moved away from Georgia, I brought home 5 big garbage bags of yarn to give away.) Now she has the bedroom at Shady Pines that used to be Dad's.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #9
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,435 Times in 419 Posts
FB, I believe the nurse was either dumb as a brick or yanking your chain. Wool is a fire ~retardant~, certainly not a fire hazard. if possible to strike a spark with the aluminum needles, I've neither heard of it or seen it myself.

Matter of fact, Earth Father (my new name for DH...) managed to flip a lit cigarette on the oxygen tubing laying on the wool blanket of our bed. The resulting fire was more than impressive. We got the O2 shut down almost instantly and the blanket was only scorched. Sure did melt a blouse I really liked tho.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinnerholic For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-21-2016), flourbug (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #10
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

I HAVE heard of knitting needles exploding, though. Hang on, and I'll see if I can find the story.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

http://www.paulalalish.com/needle.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
flourbug

I was knitting 100% merino wool with wooden needles - knit picks circulars. She said static from the fiber could cause the oxygen to ignite. Seems to me that polyester blouses would be banned from the hospital if that was true... but, no arguing with the nurse.

MA, that needle story is crazy.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

I sent the jpg of the yarn room to my sister and she sent this back:
Quote:
What's wrong with that? :-)

I had "restless brain syndrome" the other night and decided to get up. Couldn't find my book -- the gremlins had stolen it, and you know we only have ONE book in the entire house. Anyway, I decided for some reason to dig in the yarn stash, and found not one, but TWO sweater-sized lots of yarn I have no memory of buying. So I guess these book-stealing gremlins are of the swapping sub-clan.

I have lots of books I'd be willing to swap for nice yarn like what they left this time. Do you know of any gremlin-attracting substance I could put on the "romance" novels Friend keeps giving me? ("Oh, you'll like this one -- it's DIFFERENT." No. It's not.)
I don't find yarn. I find fabric that I have no memory of buying. Sometimes it's gorgeous fabric, sometimes it's "Dear gods and little fishes, where the hell did THAT hideous thing come from?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-22-2016), flourbug (02-21-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
WitchMisspelled
Member Level 2

Hi All! I knit and crochet and have a fair bit of yarn. I used to have it all over the house. Mostly stored in those gigunza Popcorn tins and acrylic yarn in a few bins. Circumstances caused me to close my website/store so I decided to clean out the cabinet where I stored stock and re-purpose it as yarn/crafting storage. As "yarn 'ho's" go, I admit I'm a lightweight storing only about 50 - 100 skeins at a time! Its in my living room now as I live in an apartment and my bedroom is where I store my food preps.

A few years ago, a friend was cutting down a cedar tree in his yard, and he made me small blocks from the tree. I kept one in each tin I kept yarn in and now have them all in the glass front cabinet where I keep the bulk of my yarns. I swear it's the primary reason I haven't lost any wool or precious alpaca to moths. Every year I take a little sandpaper and sand them down to get the scent oils reactivated.
WitchMisspelled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WitchMisspelled For This Useful Post:
D. Gale (02-28-2016), Feather (02-29-2016), flourbug (02-28-2016), Mama Alanna (02-28-2016)

Tags
bought, put, truck, yarn