Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

Default Need help with spinning.

A local heritage sheep farmer gave my son two free fleece. We cleaned them and took them to a local wool processor. While we were there, she asked my son if he would like to learn to spin. Of course. She showed him a bit and lent us a spinning wheel.
I knew there would be issues. It took me four years to teach my son to knit. He wasn't going to get spinning by watching someone for ten minutes.
So, I could use any advice, good YouTube videos, books, any recommendations would be appreciated.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,528 Times in 4,599 Posts
A spinning wheel is a serious investment and does require some skill. An alternative is a drop spindle, and that is actually the way most spinners start before deciding to invest in a wheel. You can make a drop spindle yourself or purchase them inexpensively on ebay, etsy, even amazon. If you can, have the yarn processed into pencil roving. If you already have the fiber, sit near your son and pre-draft. That just means to pull the fiber out at the size needed to spin. That way he can concentrate on twisting the spindle and winding the fiber around the spindle when it is long enough.

One problem new spinners have is the drafted fiber breaking because you overdraft or overspin. One trick is to take thread and spin it along with the fiber.

spinnerholic and I can probably answer any questions you have.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
flowerchild (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

If it works out is 250 a good price for the wheel? Where do you buy your roving? What is a good price for it?

I think I may end up being the one to do this. I am going to watch those and try to figure it out myself before teaching him.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
flourbug

What kind of wheel is it? $250 is a very low price. I have this wheel: http://woolery.com/kromski-symphony-...FcVahgodF00KTA It is considered a moderately priced wheel. Mine is 10 years old and the only thing I have ever purchased for it is sewing machine oil and a new cord. It can really do anything but excels at sock weight yarn which is what I mostly use.

I get fiber wherever I find it. Price varies according to type and what was done to it. I've purchased from Paradise Fiber, Ebay, or Ravelry sellers. I even got a big haul of gorgeous fiber from a Craigslist ad. The person belonged to some sort of fiber club and moved to Florida and no longer had a use for it. I've tried it all, from raw skirted fleeces to hand died batts. Even from my own dog and rabbits. Not all fiber is created equal. Some smooth, some highly crimped, some barely 1" long, others can be 4-6". It's good to experiment, try everything you can get your hands on, and find out what you LIKE to spin. You may also enjoy dying fiber. Undyed fiber is cheaper and you can get nice colors from KoolAid or natural substances like onion skins. My daughter just went home with a scarf I died with blueberry KoolAid.

Ravelry is a good source of information as they have a lot of groups for spinners, including some for buying and selling.
flowerchild (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

Thank you so much. She had lent this one to me to try, it is a bit older. It looks just like yours, but not so shiny. I just wanted to know if that was a good price before I bought it from her.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
flourbug

If it is a Kromski Symphony it is a VERY good price. There are a few videos on YT by the importer, who tells you how to assemble and care for it. They are worth watching because they show you how the wheel SHOULD work. Look for cracks or dryness, inspect the wood on the Mother of All, Maidens and Bobbin to be sure they are in good condition. The Maiden is held in place by a Maiden Bearing that is a thick, stiff piece of leather. It's not something you want to replace, so be sure that isn't cracked through or falling apart. I use Tung Oil on all the wood, twice a year. Use sewing machine oil on all the moving parts so they swing freely. You should not hear any noise at all when it is in use, just the woosh woosh of the wheel going around. You may need to replace the leather strips that hold pieces together (leather shoelaces or even regular shoelaces will work) and I recommend replacing the drive band with a polycord belt (about $10).

I emailed Tim for some info a few years ago and he was very helpful. Hopefully he's still with the company:

flowerchild (08-26-2016)

Tags
spinning