Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,214 Times in 1,739 Posts
Default February 2017 Homestead and Garden Thread

Today on the farm there will be many good people working together for a common dream. There will be music, laughter, story telling and food. I believe there will be six of us.

V is helping J with her cabin wiring and is making fry bread for lunch. J has a bad knee so she gets light duty and will be V's side kick. Nothing like getting to spend the day with a Medicine Man to perk up your attitude and heal!

P and I will be taking soil samples and doing general farm chores. I look forward to his company.

D and G have the storefront. Those girls are the most amazing team! They have completely reworked the stuff of this business. I'll try to get pictures on here soon.

Through all of this my rock has been my mom. She is my well of life.

I'm so grateful for them all

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Catbird (02-01-2017), Mousehound (02-01-2017), Thymeless (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I bet you're tired after an exciting & busy day.

How is Miss Petunia faring?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

It was a wonderful day. Sadly, within that petunia passed over. She went very peacefully as I sang to her. She was a very sweet sow and a good mother. I believe she had some sort of bowel obstruction.

I'm staying tonight with friends and tomorrow I'll be taking my mom to see her sister. I'm going to enjoy the break!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-02-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

A lot has happened since my last post here. The weather has been incredible with cool nights and warm days. Seeds are sprouting in the greenhouse (none of which I planted, hard to believe that!), there has been a sweat lodge (the first of many I hope), V, P and I made a road trip to pick up some salvaged goodies including lots of firebrick for the wood fired kitchen and today V, his sweet wife, my mom and I unloaded it and in a few days we go back for more. We also picked up a couple of tractor implements and some cast iron benches. There are enough insulated steel panels to build the commercial kitchen and so that project is looming on the forefront. V is determined to leave his mark here and we are doing everything we can to aide and abet LOL. He's on a schedule with projects that need to be done back home in AZ so we'll get whatever we can possibly accomplish while he's here. P and V are FULL of ideas LOL. It's been a grand time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Catbird (02-09-2017), Feather (02-09-2017), flourbug (02-09-2017), Thymeless (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I'm starting to get antsy & twitchy to get in the gardens - both my veggie patch & my perennial border. Sadly, it's the middle of deepest winter & everything is frozen solid. It's 15F or -10C with another bitterly cold night & day before it breaks a bit. It will be 9-10 weeks before the first pale, green spears of anything poke through the ground.

So I'm stuck staring longingly at houseplants that are only now just starting to think about coming out of winter hibernation. I have to do a proper inventory of what they'll need in early March, when I get them ready for a full growing season.

I need to buy a decent sized bag of good, fresh potting soil for houseplants - I've been recycling old soil too long. Several plants need bigger pots - I'll have to buy a few of those.

My poor Ming aralia is looking pretty ragged. I repotted it in the fall & it 'shattered' - meaning, many of the leaves simply fell off. That's not an uncommon reaction & in the long term is good - each former leaf stands a good chance of becoming an entire branch. I successfully rooted 4 cuttings from it - never had luck doing that before. I rooted baby went back in the main pot & is soon to be joined by another... it will make a nice clump in a few more years. The other two, I'm going to play with - training one as a bonsai specimen & trying to get some gnarly looking trunk action going with the last.

I have several houseplants that simply aren't earning their keep. They're not dying but they're not happy here. I'll be finding them new homes soon. My African violets finally appear to have stopped blooming - or almost. They all need dividing. I have no experience with dividing those so am a bit nervous.

I'm up to ten orchids now - every single one different & that's it - I've not got room for any others. Nine are blooming beautifully & should for another few months, then they too will need repotting. Nerves again - no idea how to do that.

My jades should really take off this year. I've reduced my stock of those to four - one turning into a nice tree & three different attempts at bonsai.

All fun - but not the same as playing outside. Early spring coming I think though - the birds & squirrels are really active already, making noise & scouting out nesting sites.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Those are some of my most favorite house plants, Sue!

There's a fair assortment of them here. There are two large split leafed philodendron left in my care when the owner's moved ten years ago or so LOL, a really tall pony tail palm that I've had forever, a rescue ficus that has taken years to recover from its last major pruning, a couple of nice angel wing begonias, a trailing bleeding heart, a bougainvillea and a burro's tail. In the greenhouse there is a small section for other assorted plants but most of it is filled with seed trays. The greenhouse is so lovely right now. It's warm and moist and feels like spring

Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,461 Posts

Does anyone know what variety of peppers these are?!?
Feather (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,550 Times in 4,609 Posts
Peter peppers.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-15-2017), rb. (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Pick a peck of Peter Peppers

Today was farm day and the crew mostly worked at J's getting her a few steps closer to moving into her cabin. I made a trip to the feed store and grocery store and tried to stay out of the way. D and G made room so I could move the feed to a new location. We are going to clean out the feed room/shop and make it into a tiny home for D. It will also serve as the farm office from time to time. In moving the feed the feeding station also changes to a location MUCH closer to the house. It took a little convincing but once the critters got the idea they were fine. This change will eliminate lots of muck and mud plus it will allow us to take out some old fencing and rework the system a little. In its place there will be a gravel foundation and a craftsman's pavilion with side shed for the smithy. Dream the life, live the dream!

Catbird (02-16-2017), Feather (02-15-2017), flourbug (02-15-2017), Thymeless (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,752 Times in 1,510 Posts
Can you buy the Peter Pepper plants? I'd love to surprise DS with one.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,461 Posts
I was being silly, I had no idea these were real peppers! You can buy the seeds here Feather: http://www.peterpeppers.com/Peter_Pe...er_peppers.htm
Feather (02-15-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #12
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Some of the woody cuttings are sprouting!!!! Waaa Hoooo!!

The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-16-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #13
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The Universe has spoken. I don't know what to say. Most of you know that for most of my real adult life I have had working German Shepherds. A few years ago I lost Morgan and Java within 3 months. Since then I have been copiously blessed with herding dogs and strays. I have so missed the shepherds but couldn't justify either the expense or the extra dog. Even so, I have kept a watchful eye out for the right dog and the right timing. This evening a neighbor posted about a pup that was apparently dumped (It happens quite often around here). It took me 5 minutes to get to what as the crow flies, is only maybe a quarter mile. She was there, scared, hungry but brave and came when I called. She snuggled right in and her personality is exceptional. I know there may be someone looking for her and I will do my best to find them but I'm totally in love and if all works for our favor she will stay. I believe she's 4 or 5 months old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweet girl 21717.jpg (131.4 KB, 42 views)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-18-2017), Cactus Az (02-18-2017), Catbird (02-18-2017), Feather (02-18-2017), flourbug (02-18-2017), Mousehound (02-18-2017), Ross (02-18-2017), RottieMom (02-18-2017), Sonny (02-18-2017), Thymeless (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,266 Posts
What a pretty girl!

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Big, beautiful ears on her!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #16
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,371 Posts
You can see her heart in her eyes and face. I think you've found a new bestie BG.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #17
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,434 Times in 418 Posts
Yup, she's a very young pup - got some more growing to do to fit her ears. LOL

Enjoy, both of you.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,752 Times in 1,510 Posts
She's beautiful! I love shepherds and she looks like my Wolfie. I miss having one but if I ever get another dog it will have to be a small breed so I don't have to walk it several times a day.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #19
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

She's the sweetest thing. Very smart, very brave, looks right into my eyes. She was half starved and pooped quite a bit of trash today. No sign of worms. She has a lot of manners to learn but she's going to be just fine. We'll have to work on her interest in chickens and her lack of fear around the pigs and mules. She stays right with me and slept next to my bed last night. She is at my feet right now. I am smitten.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-19-2017), Cactus Az (02-19-2017), Catbird (02-19-2017), Feather (02-18-2017), flourbug (02-18-2017), Mousehound (02-20-2017), RottieMom (02-19-2017), spinnerholic (02-21-2017), Thymeless (02-19-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #20
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

My world is like a hurricane at the moment. It's all about business start up, marketing, fund raising and material salvaging LOL. Toss in SPRING planting, chores and my dad's care and it's quite a mix. Then add one incredible Navaho motivator, experienced fund raiser and a man on a mission to help people. Oh my, oh my. We just returned yesterday from a trip to pick up salvaged materials and more fire brick (for the wood fired ovens and grills). On the way home we had a trailer flat and that added a bit of excitement. Today I played catch up and rested as best I could (only two massages) Then tomorrow we leave for TX to pick up a riding mule for his FIL. He wants to do a mini fundraiser a week from this Sunday just to test the waters and get the word out. Navajo fry bread is the principle menu with assorted taco fillings will be provided. We're looking primarily for donations. On Memorial Day we'll (him, his wife, a couple of his sisters possibly and farm associates will have a booth at a music fund raiser where part of the proceeds go to the folks in need and part will go to the farm. Its being held on a farm a mile away from here and is a three day event. Breakfast, lunch and dinner Indian tacos anyone?

V and his family are still in the process of moving here and next trip plan to bring a work crew who will get to stay in a newly vacated trailer (D's) by the lake. Remodeling in preparation for rental or sale will go with the deal. They will be helping here with pavilions, a hogan bunk house, a craftsman's area(s) and D's tiny cabin/office.

It's all quite exciting and a little overwhelming but the world is still level and everyone is in for a penny, in for a pound.

I'm off to take a hot bath and pack for tomorrow

OH and her name is Maja. Its a loose combination of Morgan and Java. She's a real sweet heart and is at my feet as I type.

Catbird (02-24-2017), Feather (02-23-2017), flourbug (02-23-2017), Mousehound (02-24-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #21
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The mule trip was a success! Her name is Maxine and she's a dandy. Personally, I think she's too much for the 80 yo FIL but he's determined to have a mule. V's wife is the 'real' owner and we'll just keep our fingers crossed that the FIL doesn't get hurt riding her. Maxine is pretty bomb proof and has a good level head on her. She was no problem at all to haul. Last night though she wasn't too sure about unloading in the dark but in then end she made it just fine and I sang to her while she got to know the boundaries of her new digs. When I left she was rolling in the dirt and nibbling on grass. I got home around 11pm and it was 28 degrees outside with frost on the ground.

Today, I'm going to try to chill as best I can. There's a trailer load of firebrick that needs to be unloaded but I think it will wait until tomorrow. I hardly slept last night or at least it took awhile to get there and I got up early this morning. I've done my chores and I feel a mid morning nap coming on. Maybe a movie, a pillow and a blanket on the couch by the fire...

Catbird (02-26-2017), Feather (02-26-2017), Mousehound (02-27-2017), Thymeless (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #22
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

This morning V and I unloaded that trailer. We worked it in small batches and it went well 6 bricks at a time. We figure there were around 800 bricks. I spent the rest of the day watching movies on the couch and running the washer and drier

This Sunday the farm is hosting a meet and greet potluck. V is going to make Fry Bread and the guests are going to bring sides and fillings. The idea is to recruit potential instructors and prepare to start filling the calendar!

I'm off to soak in Epsom salts and head for bed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-03-2017), Mousehound (02-28-2017), Thymeless (02-28-2017)

Tags
2017, february, garden, homestead, thread