Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,066 Times in 923 Posts
Default Tractor beams

I guess this article deserves to be here, rather than Technology and Privacy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...tm_source=dmfb

Quote:
Why American Farmers Are Hacking Their Tractors With Ukrainian Firmware
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oric For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (03-23-2017), blue gecko (03-23-2017), lonfa (03-23-2017), rb. (03-23-2017), Ross (03-23-2017), spinnerholic (03-25-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
lonfa
Member Level 1

Thanks! Oric

It won't just be the Yanks hacking their tractors, If they try that in Oz, Same thing will happen. It isn't in Western Australia yet anyway, The John Deere gear is so damn complex, You need a techie to fix it anyway...

Vid' Link>> Self propelled (SP) sprayer on an Oz farm= $465000+ for largest one
Every bell and whistle you can shake a stick at, Very little you can fix if anything goes wrong but =>>> Call John Deere...
Ross (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,523 Posts
It must also be a nightmare for John Deere because if something
goes wrong after the equipment is hacked then the farmer may
deny/conceal it and seek help from John Deere under warranty ( I assume there
is a warranty period of some kind ) .

Very interesting .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,700 Posts
So much for buying John Deere here. I need a tractor with a front end loader. John Deere has always had great resale value but I won't be looking for one anymore.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,389 Times in 2,786 Posts
This has been a problem for at least the last several years.

Small tractors such as I might use don't really figure into this. These are the big ones used on the larger farms with no-end of computerization.

I think Deere is hurting themselves with their uncooperative philosophy, but in a certain part of the tractor market they think they control things so there they are.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Dreamweaver
Senior Level 3

My son-in-law is a mechanic for Caterpillar. (makes almost as much as a Dr.) He told me that all of their machinery are hooked to the net so they can tell not only location, but if it's running and if it is, how well it is running. They can diagnose many problems from afar and know what it's going to take before arriving on scene.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,929 Times in 1,860 Posts
Why am I not surprised by any of this.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Oric
El Turco

By the way, one of the companies I am giving consultancy is in Autonomous car technologies. You know that by 2018 all new cars in USA will have the infrastructure for cooperative data sharing and possibly autonomous driving capabilities. It is predicted that in no more than 10 years, human driven cars will be like the rotary phones. Car ownership will be replaced by car pooling etc.

Industrial machines like tractors will similarly carry for autonomous functions and not require a human operator, I need some insight on how quick this transformation be.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
rb.

Autonomous cars won't help me driving a bush road to my house from the city. Nor would I trust one on that road, hills or curves.

They may have their purpose in heavily, densely populated areas, but not everywhere.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Oric
El Turco

rb. classic cars will exist but the new generations will accept the life with autonomous cars as the norm, a child born today will never get a driver's license. Needless to say from insurance premiums to parking spaces, hdc (human driven cars)will quickly find themselves disadvataged.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
Quote:
They may have their purpose in heavily, densely populated areas, but not everywhere.
Agenda 21 wants to push everyone into urban areas and re-wild areas with sparse population. Eliminating private means of transportation is a good way to achieve that goal.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
lonfa (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Oric
El Turco

A few countries like USA have this "wild wild sparsely populated" areas, the old world is either densely packed or there are public means to reach every corner easily
Old 03-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
rb.

Don't autonomous cars need some sort of sensors on the road to operate? In Canada they would be restricted to large cities. It takes me 36 hours of straight driving at 100 km/hr to get HALFWAY across my country. On a highway. The cost to install, maintain and keep those sensors clear of snow just on the Trans Canada highway alone would be cost prohibitive, never mind rural streets and roads. That would make prisons of our cities, where it would be more cost effective.

If they run on satellite maps, we'd all be dead here. A lot of the roads that show up on sat maps near my new house are skidder trails from logging. They are not roads, but they show up as roads anyway.

Autonomous cars will never take root in sparsely populated countries like Canada, espcially those with snow and ice half the year.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 AM   #14
Oric
El Turco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
Don't autonomous cars need some sort of sensors on the road to operate? In Canada they would be restricted to large cities. It takes me 36 hours of straight driving at 100 km/hr to get HALFWAY across my country. On a highway. The cost to install, maintain and keep those sensors clear of snow just on the Trans Canada highway alone would be cost prohibitive, never mind rural streets and roads. That would make prisons of our cities, where it would be more cost effective.

If they run on satellite maps, we'd all be dead here. A lot of the roads that show up on sat maps near my new house are skidder trails from logging. They are not roads, but they show up as roads anyway.

Autonomous cars will never take root in sparsely populated countries like Canada, espcially those with snow and ice half the year.
They use sensor fusion ... All the roads are mapped with HD maps, 10 cm (4 inch) precision, also the landscape is recorded and processed real time during the journey. The cars talk to each other via vehicle-to-vehicle to alert each other. The car can sense objects around and make manevours, But when all else fails the control is left to the driver. I guess 98% availability is good for go and they will update the back roads when the driver controlled smart vehicles travel over them and gather data.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,552 Times in 2,067 Posts
I love the name of this thread by the way. Well done Oric!
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
Oric (03-24-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,172 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
I love the name of this thread by the way. Well done Oric!
Ditto!

Tags
beams, tractor