Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,401 Posts
Default Andrea's Garden Thread

So, I've got garden threads spread out all over the internet. I've even considered buying a domain name and starting a blog. But, have you read my tagline? I'm "one of those hopelessly disorganized people." (Thank you CanadaSue! ) In the past, I've posted most of my gardening info/pics/recipes/garden timelines over at MrsSurvival. Unfortunately, it looks like that site is having some issues. So, here I am. I thought about going to the Blog section here but this is easier.

So, I've been trying off and on for awhile to grow cut and come again lettuce indoors under grow lights. Why? Slugs, snails, sow bugs, you name it, it LOVES lettuce. I also don't grow regular spinach in my garden for the same reason. So, one week ago I planted two trays of lettuce:

The tray on the left, I lighted with these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/KINGBO-Reflec...f_rd_i=desktop

The ones on the right I used regular 2 foot fluorescent fixtures from Wal-Mart.

As you can see, the ones with the regular fluorescent lights are leggy and fall over when misted. The ones on the left have a stronger stalk and take misting well. Other than that, all seeds,soil, and watering conditions are identical. My original plan was to take both trays to completion. If I were an organized, scientist-type, this would be a great plan. But, I just want to eat homegrown lettuce, so I'm thinking I should switch the trays every other day or so.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,295 Times in 368 Posts
Good idea there andrea. I'm intersted indoiing the same thing. will watch this thread with great intrest.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spinnerholic For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (04-17-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,523 Posts
Do you have some kind of automatic misting system ?

I assume you will replant them when they get bigger ?
If so will you continue growing them indoors ?

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,082 Times in 642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCA View Post
So, I've got garden threads spread out all over the internet. I've even considered buying a domain name and starting a blog. But, have you read my tagline? I'm "one of those hopelessly disorganized people." (Thank you CanadaSue! ) In the past, I've posted most of my gardening info/pics/recipes/garden timelines over at MrsSurvival. Unfortunately, it looks like that site is having some issues. So, here I am. I thought about going to the Blog section here but this is easier.

So, I've been trying off and on for awhile to grow cut and come again lettuce indoors under grow lights. Why? Slugs, snails, sow bugs, you name it, it LOVES lettuce. I also don't grow regular spinach in my garden for the same reason. So, one week ago I planted two trays of lettuce:

The tray on the left, I lighted with these lights:

EEEEK!!!!!
http://tinyurl.com/kmvr6cp
EEEEK!!!!!
The ones on the right I used regular 2 foot fluorescent fixtures from Wal-Mart.

As you can see, the ones with the regular fluorescent lights are leggy and fall over when misted. The ones on the left have a stronger stalk and take misting well. Other than that, all seeds,soil, and watering conditions are identical. My original plan was to take both trays to completion. If I were an organized, scientist-type, this would be a great plan. But, I just want to eat homegrown lettuce, so I'm thinking I should switch the trays every other day or so.

Any thoughts?
First, use http://www.tinyurl.com
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auburn Boy For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
AndreaCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Do you have some kind of automatic misting system ?

I assume you will replant them when they get bigger ?
If so will you continue growing them indoors ?

No automatic missing system. Just me with a spray bottle. Since I mostly work from home, this shouldn't be an issue. As for replanting them, the plan is to let them get a few inches tall then harvest them with scissors. Supposedly you can get three cuttings out of them. This is an experiment. It may not work at all. Although, indoor micro green is a viable side business.
Ross (04-19-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
AndreaCA

I've been swapping the trays back and forth under the different lights every morning. The leggy plants (which I've been told is a symptom of not enough light) are growing additional sets of leaves now. Some of the slower to germinate varieties in this mixed lettuce blend are also starting to sprout. It will be fun to get this figured out and develop a rotational system so we can grow our own lettuce.

On other fronts, I've been busy dehydrating lemon balm and raspberry leaves. As soon as I finish gathering 2 gallons of the dehydrated raspberry leaves I'll move on to strawberry leaves and mint. The lemon balm is an ongoing process. I use a ton of the stuff in both tea and capsule form, the only drawback is that to make capsules, I need several gallons of dried leaves. Luckily, I have a ready source: lawn, flower beds, sidewalk cracks, you name it, that stuff has reseeded itself EVERYWHERE! It may just be the only plant capable of choking out jerusalem artichoke.
Feather (04-22-2017), Ross (04-22-2017), Thymeless (Today)
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #7
AndreaCA

My second bed of bush beans are up. I'm going to be drowning in beans this year. Yay! I love fresh beans. But, in order to preserve them, I've been cooking out of my freezer, which may account for my recent weight gain. Sure, veggie lasagna is "healthy" but it still has significantly more calories than salad!

My yellow summer squash already have little squash on them and one of my pepper plants has blossoms. This is a newish to me pepper called an orange lunch box pepper. It's a miniature sweet pepper that I tried for the first time last year. We really liked it so I put in six plants instead of the one I planted last year.

Other than that, I've got to put my compost strainer (mesh and wood) back together and sort through my compost piles. It's been a couple of years since I've messed with composting and it's time to get back into it. I'm contemplating buying a couple of the tumbler type composters to speed up the process and keep the compost section of the yard looking a bit neater. It's also in a shady spot so I'm stuck with the slow compost method.

Tags
andrea, garden, thread