Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Technology > Computers and Home Electronics

Computers and Home Electronics Desktop computers, laptops, TVs, audio systems, computer games, home automation and more have transformed our lives and our homes.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,752 Posts
Default More Microsoft skullduggery

Microsoft Apparently Ramping Up Heavy-Handed Tactics To Force Windows 10 Migrations

The clock is ticking for users holding out on Windows 7 and 8. For starters, Microsoft is blocking Windows 7 and 8 updates for Intel's seventh generation Core i3, i5 and i7 (Kaby Lake), AMD's Ryzen (Bristol Ridge) and Qualcomm's 8996 processors. The low-level Vulkan API will also not be supporting multiple GPUs on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and users will need to update to Windows 10 in order to support SLI or CrossFire with Vulkan.

Microsoft’s main argument is that this lack of updates will help them to focus on the deep integration between Windows and new silicon generations. Windows 7 was designed nearly a decade ago before the introduction of x86/x64 SOCs. Windows 7 is unable to run on any modern silicon without device drivers and firmware emulating Windows 7’s expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states. According to Microsoft, “redesigning Windows 7 subsystems to embrace new generations of silicon would introduce churn into the Windows 7 code base” and break the company's commitment to security and stability.

More http://hothardware.com/news/microsof...-10-migrations

Last edited by Potemkin; 03-19-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-19-2017), lonfa (03-21-2017), rb. (03-19-2017), Ross (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Enh. I'm still running Win7 on my laptop, using only Office, Outlook, a touch of IE, and my property management software. If I update Windows, I have to update everything else, which I refuse to pay for.

When my 7 year old laptop dies, I'm going back to paper for property management (if I still have them), my old iMac for word processing and spreadsheets, and iPad for email and browsing. I'm not updating OSX, either. Screw them all.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,023 Posts
The problem is that MS and others lie. When they release a new operating system, they let on that it is designed in a way that old software will work with it forever. They know full well that they already have features in the new, "backwards compatible" OS that will eventually cripple older software that is not specifically updated or upgraded to work with it. We are talking about billions of dollars wasted on pointless upgrades just so software will work with new operating systems. With MS getting a huge cut of that to "certify" the new software, of course.

If it was a just world, the executives who peddle these lies would be jailed for fraud, but it is not a just world. If my company sold a car that was supposed to work with 87 octane gas, but it only worked with 91 octane gas, it would be paying out billions to consumers to fix their cars so they work with the 87 gas. But, operating systems, not so much.

Last edited by Sysiphus; 03-19-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Yeah, but outside of business, how much are computers used now? They've kind of screwed themselves with phones and tablets, clouds, and online software. Originally, computers were only found in business, with very few of us using them at home for personal use. (My first was in 1988.)

Then we all jumped on them with the internet, cool things they could do. Hell, I used to create and print my kids' valentine's cards for school on Illustrator! Personal budgets and grocery lists on spreadsheets! Now there's apps. Who needs a clunking computer (laptop) when you have a smart phone or tablet? My printer prints wirelessly from my iPad, why turn on my laptop?

The trend is reversing, computers are going back to mainly business use.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,023 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but outside of business, how much are computers used now?
Unless you are a hard core gamer/dinosaur like me, not much at all. If it weren't for games, I would have no reason to use a computer after work.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
Unless you are a hard core gamer/dinosaur like me, not much at all. If it weren't for games, I would have no reason to use a computer after work.
I agree about the gaming. Tablets can't begin to handle the really complex games. And some games don't do well on a game box. They're best played on a computer.

But also, for now, a lot of people use their home computers for streaming video. None of our TV's are smart enough to stream directly from Amazon or Netflix, etc. Until we buy a smarter TV, when we do stream video, we watch it on my tower's 28" monitor.

For multi-taskers like me, a tablet doesn't offer enough windows or tabs to keep up with me. I also find that the smaller screen of my tablet makes working on graphics rather frustrating, simply because things are harder to see.

I'll be using my XP laptop and Win 7 tower for as long they remain viable.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
Thymeless
Member Level 3

As for us, we see a Linux OS in our future, when Win7 is no longer...sigh.
Thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, skulldugg