Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy

Economy Economy discussion forum. Discuss the politics and effects of the general economy and global economic collapse here. Please keep all politics out of the Finance and Investment subforum.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,634 Times in 2,797 Posts
Default Hard to be a 1%er

A Look at the Ugly Side of Getting Rich

In one photograph, the German-born, Harvard-educated hedge fund manager Florian Homm, who made and lost a personal fortune of more than $800 million, poses in a German brothel that he once co-owned. In another, Imelda Marcos, the former first lady of the Philippines accused of stealing billions from state coffers, sits in her Manila apartment beneath a gold-framed Picasso. Later on, a 43-year-old Chinese billionaire Huang Qiaoling is pictured walking from his mansion, built as a full-scale replica of the White House, to his chauffeured Mercedes S Class.

Lauren Greenfield’s Generation Wealth will be published in May.
Dozens more similarly lavish and disconcerting vignettes fill Generation Wealth (Phaidon, 2017), a 504-page monograph by Lauren Greenfield and out on May 15. A photographer who has spent the last 25 years documenting wealth, class, and status symbols, she offers a glimpse into the spending habits of ultra-wealthy tribes: hedge fund managers in New York such as “Suzanne,” whom Greenfield follows for several years as she attempts to have a child; entertainment executives like Brett Ratner, who is shown on St. Barts with a platinum American Express card stuck to his forehead; industrialists such as Italian apparel billionaire Renzo Rosso, who shows off the home gym in his 18th century villa; and “time-share king” David Siegel, who, with his wife Jackie, would go on to become the subject of Greenfield’s documentary, Queen of Versailles.

More https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-getting-rich
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,458 Times in 3,443 Posts
Must be rough

Took hubby to our favorite Mexican restaurant today. Good food, not expensive and they're dog friendly on the patio, so what better place to enjoy a bit and let the dogs join us?

After getting hubby and le dawgs back into the car I commented to hubby to look at the brilliant green car park behind us ..... Joked that one of their rims likely cost more than our car (2013 Ford Escape).

It was a Maclaren. Best I can figure out, it was a 570S.

Guess I'm not a 'car nut'. I can appreciate the design and the engineering of it but it doesn't make my heart beat fast.

Now my old 1990 Dodge Ram, short bed, 4x4 with 4 inch factory lifts, Smitty Built roll bar, bumpers front and back and steps -- That made my heart beat fast and was a joy to drive. Decent mudder too, if needs be. But a royal PITA to lock the hubs in the middle of winter

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Dietrich (04-19-2017), Sonny (04-19-2017), Sysiphus (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Dietrich
Niche player

NV, that sounds like a wonderful evening w hubby. The "White House replica" folks should be so lucky
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dietrich For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (04-19-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,634 Times in 2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowVoyager View Post
Now my old 1990 Dodge Ram, short bed, 4x4 with 4 inch factory lifts, Smitty Built roll bar, bumpers front and back and steps -- That made my heart beat fast and was a joy to drive. Decent mudder too, if needs be. But a royal PITA to lock the hubs in the middle of winter
Then you would appreciate my restored Chevy K2 Blazer. 350 4 bolt main, 10:1 compression, 2" lift, Smitty Built tube bumpers front/back/, 6 point internal roll cage, full skid plate kit and Recaro seats w/4 point harness. Rebuilt drive train front to back. All painted flat brown body/black accessories. Perfect "What a POS truck!". No one touched it.

I should have kept that. It would get way back to those fishing places no one else could get to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Exodia (04-20-2017)

Tags
1%er, hard