Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Default Son is having side affects from vax

I thought ds was fine but I've just noticed he has fever 101.3 with ear thermometer & very tired!

I'm worried but I know that's a normal thing just hoping it goes away soon for him.
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Breathe...

This IS well within the realm of normal reactions Michele although not many people of any age experience this. I did one year with the seasonal shot. Let him sleep, fluids - basically treat him as though he had a heavy-ish cold or light flu. By tomorrow night,
onday morning at the latest - he should be fine.

If you'd like, I can take a few minutes to do more checking for you.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Sue thanks very much sure I'd like to know more, as far as I know it's ok, so this is not common though?
Poor kid, he looks horrible, like he hasn't slept in a week and his face is all red.

I feel horrible because I had him do his chores this morning, he said he was tired and I figured it was just him trying to get out of chores.

He's resting in bed watching tv now, having some water and he had soup before that.

This is the very first flu vaccine he's ever had. He had the adult dose btw, he's 10, so I hope that doesn't make it worse for him!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,144 Posts
I had a reaction to the seasonal shot this year for the first time ever. Fever 100 -101, body aches, headache. It was like a mild case of the flu with no cough.

He should be ok by tomorrow! It was about 1 1/2 - 2 days for me.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

What drum said usually applies. I said it's not common - as opposed to 'rare'. Your son actually would be more likely to have such a reaction. First flu vax ever, 10 years old, so right on the border line age for an adult dose. If he's a skinny weed like a lot of boys that age tend to be, yeah it's a nice, 'healthy' challenge for the immune system.

Like with any other illness or suspected reaction - especially THIS year & this being his first vax, keep an eye on him. Red face is fine. Red face with SWELLING is anything but fine & merits a quick trip to ER with Momma Tiger in attendence.

It's possible he was coming down with something right when he got the vax so watch him for the warning signs for problems for flu anyway.

I'll scare up some data here.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,082 Times in 642 Posts
The other possibility is tht he was exposed to swine flu before the vaccine had time to take effect, and he now has a case of the pandemic virus..,

As all recommendations above, keep a carful eye out!
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Just spoke to the telehealth nurse, what's most important to me is that she told me that any serious side affects would have happened within 2 hours so that's a big relief.

The nurse told me that 20% of people have side affects and it's fine to treat him at home but keep a close watch on him, anything new I should report.

As Sue mentioned she also told me if the fever isn't gone by Monday to have him checked since it may be a nasty coincidence that he picked up a virus at the same time he got his shot. She had me check for rashes and check in the injection site for anything oozing.

I just gave him some of my emergency supply of homemade soup, also he's taking some pedialite and the advil seems to be helping already.

I'm not regretting getting him the vax at all, I can only imagine how much worry I'd go through and how possibly sick he'd be if he came down with H1N1!

MMB
Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Michele, I'm sorry - I'm a bloody idiot.

FIRST thing I should have told you was that if any SERIOUS effects were going to happen, they WOULD have hit within a few hours!

I'm sorry...........
Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,555 Times in 2,068 Posts
I'll chime in and agree that it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he's actually sick.

I think plenty of people (unfortunately) are going to think they got sick because of the vax, when it fact they were exposed before their shot and were going to get sick anyway.

Keep an eye on him Michele, and good luck.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

That's OK Sue you are always such a big help it's not your fault. You've had a huge stress filled week yourself!

Auburn Boy, yes that crossed my mind as well, I sure hope not!
Old 11-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Thanks Ex, I know you are right and after the week I've had it wouldn't surprise me!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Update on ds, after the advil his fever went down and he felt better that was about 7 hrs ago and he's still fine, fever didn't return and he's feeling fine,eating well. I'm really thinking it must have been a side affect to the vax lasted a few hrs and he's on the mend! Time will tell, we'll know for sure by tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
Cassie

Is the H1N1 in your area? I'm just curious.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #14
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Well, I'm happy his fever is down and he's feeling better. It wouldn't have been nice for him having to get the vaccine needle and the flu!
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

I'm happy to report that ds is just fine today, no fever, fatigue, just soreness in the arm where he had the vax. Obviously it must have been a reaction to the vax and he's over it already.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Thanks again everyone for all your advice and support, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Sonny
Star Witness

From the description of your son's response I'm thinking your son will be better protected from this Flu, more immunity, than someone else who has no response or a very slight response. I don't know for sure It just seems logical to me ?
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,082 Times in 642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
From the description of your son's response I'm thinking your son will be better protected from this Flu, more immunity, than someone else who has no response or a very slight response. I don't know for sure It just seems logical to me ?
Of course, that's assuming the vaccine gave him his symptoms..,

I wonder if there will be a study to determine if this type of response to a vaccine is a better indication of peak immunity to the target virus?
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

I can't help but to think that because they gave him a full adult dose 50 ml (they give kids 10 & up an adult dose) that must have something to do with it! Plus because he's never had a flu vax in his life.
His arm still hurts but other than that he's fine.

Yes I did read that having a reaction to the vax is normal and means that your immune system is robust. I sure was less worried when I found out that a really bad outcome would happen within 2 hrs of getting the vax and also now that I know he didn't actually pick up the H1N1 virus by some fluke at the same time he got the vax.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #20
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,555 Times in 2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Is the H1N1 in your area? I'm just curious.
I think it's in every area now Cassie!
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #21
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
I think it's in every area now Cassie!
Ex you are right about that! Cassie it's in every Province in Canada now especially Ontario where I live and I know it's all over the US. I'd be interested to know if there are parts of the world where this pandemic didn't take hold. That information will come out years down the line I'm sure.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
Cassie

Ya I know, it's just that up until a week ago I hadn't heard of any cases in the small town I live in, then all of a sudden it exploded. I was just wondering if it was at the explosive level. But luckily it sounds like it was just a mild reaction to the shot.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Cassie, I would say it's definately reaching all the small towns by now. Yes very lucky that it was a mild reaction, lasted for the one day and he's still back to feeling well now aside from his arm being sore. I am just thrilled that both of my kids are protected (once ds gets through another few days) and then DH and I will have our turn asap.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #24
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,295 Times in 368 Posts
Cassie, that's exactly how it hit our area, like an out of control firestorm. When it hit, it downed people by the score and still is. I sure hope it levels off soon - not a whole lot of people out here anyway so it has to at least slow down sometime.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affects, side, son, vax