Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #26
Cassie

She just woke up with a fever of 103, she hasn't had any meds while sleeping for 8 hours. I gave her some advil, sponged her off, put some wet socks on her feet, and will recheck her in about 20 minutes. She coughed a little off and on through the night, but it doesn't sound bad at all.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #27
ilovedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
She just woke up with a fever of 103, she hasn't had any meds while sleeping for 8 hours. I gave her some advil, sponged her off, put some wet socks on her feet, and will recheck her in about 20 minutes. She coughed a little off and on through the night, but it doesn't sound bad at all.
Don't forget with the wet socks that you should be putting wool socks over top of them and completely covering the wet sock itself. At least she slept for 8 hours! Praying this is short lived for her and that she's on the mend quickly!
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Cassie

Yes I'll have to get some wool socks for that. I just put the wet socks on her feet this morning and every 10 minutes or so wet them again to cool them down until the fever came down to 101.

Exodia, you said you didn't develop a "bad" cough, does that mean you had no cough at all or just a slight one? My daughter has had a slight one since this started, today it's a bit more frequent but really still hardly at all. I know her friend that caught it before her had a bad cough the first day.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Cassie, Sorry to hear your DD is ill. My DD has had it twice, not a lot of cough at all. I'm just getting over it and I coughed hard the first day and after that, it was not so bad.

Both of us had very sore chests though.

I hope your DD is well again soon.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,080 Times in 1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
In the US, the same may apply unless more people than usual decide to go for seasonal vax.
More people ARE, or were. Kaiser HMO announced two weeks ago that they were cancelling all further flu shot clinics; they had run out of vaccine. Area drug store flu shot clinics were cancelled as well. Same cause.

Now, having said that, I also have to wonder if there was more demand, or if the stocks of seasonal flu got shorted because the manufacturers switched over to H1N1. There are only so many eggs produced every year for vaccine purposes, and the vax manufacturers can't just go to the supermarket and buy more. They have to be fertile eggs, and they have to be...I don't want to use the word 'sterile' because that is the opposite of 'fertile', but don't know what else to use. Pathogen free, perhaps? After all, you don't want to introduce something nasty into eggs that are growing flu vaccine. And considering that chickens only have one aperture, which is used for EVERYTHING eggs don't come out that clean anyway. So the chicken herself has to be pathogen free.
Mama Alanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #31
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Exodia, you said you didn't develop a "bad" cough, does that mean you had no cough at all or just a slight one?
I have had a slight cough, usually most noticeable when I wake up. For the four of us, it ranged across the spectrum: DW(bad)>DD>DS>Me(slight)
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #32
Cassie

So did the severity of the cough correlate with the severity of the sickness for you all?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Cassie -- Sort of a tough question. In the short term, my son was sicker (overall--fever, dilerium, aches, chills, etc) than my wife. But he rebounded quicker (except for the strep coming back). Over the course of the illness, I'd say my wife has been sicker-longer than anyone else.

My daughter's cough was worse than my son's but she's been struggling with a cough since the summer, and this just magnified it I think.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #34
flu-n-u
Member Level 1

"My DD fever went down to 100 this evening, but that was with rotating tylenol and advil all day, like the nurse said. She said she's dizzy and tired"

I went through the thread looking for mention of fluids, but didn't see any. It's very important with vomiting and a fever to keep your daughter hydrated. Can she keep down water, or dilute tea/juice/sports drinks? Fluids in vs fluids out is something to make note of & getting dizzy is one symptom of dehydration.
flu-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
Cassie

She slept for about 2 hours and woke up with a scratchy hoarse voice and a cough that is more frequent. She's on the phone with her friend and everytime she laughs she coughs. If this were just another cold the cough wouldn't concern me, but it kind of does.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Any update Cassie?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
Cassie

Because she napped so late in the day she didn't fall asleep until around 11 pm. I went in about 4 am to give her some advil, she felt hot and I really didn't want her spiking high again overnight. She's still sleeping now. She only coughed at one short spell during the night, but she really hasn't been coughing much while sleeping. Yesterday it was when she was awake.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #38
dessismama
Member Level 1

Hope the fever breaks today for good, Cassie!! Hang in there!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #39
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Yes here's hoping she feels better soon!

Not coughing during the night is a good sign I would think, so hopefully today is a much better day for her.
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #40
Cassie

She just woke up. She slept for 12 hours! She was tired. But she looks and feels much better this morning. Her temperature was 99.2, and that's with no meds since 3:30 am. I'm going to wait a bit and see what happens before I give any more.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #41
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Cassie, just catching up on today's posts - that sounds encouraging!

I hope her day was pretty good.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #42
Cassie

She's still blah and tired of course, but her fever has not gone over 100.5 today, then I gave meds. And she wanted to eat finally, mac and cheese. Hopefully this is coming to an end and not just on a break. Thanks for all of your well wishes and advice. It really does help calm the nerves when you talk to others who have had it before. This forum catagory was a great idea.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Cassie

She woke up with a slight headache today and fever of 101. Feels better after meds, still no bad cough. Really that fever is hanging on, and the tiredness.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #44
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

It's not going to go away very qucikly I'm afraid. It sounds like things have not escalated into a bad situation, which is good. Now you have to buckle in for the long haul of symptom management, trying to get her to eat/drink, coordinate school work, etc.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #45
Cassie

Looks that way. Fever back up to 101 again this evening, gave her meds again went back down to 99.5 ish. I also rubbed her feet down with vicks on one foot, and combination theives oil with tea tree and oil of oregano on the other foot. Couldn't decide which one was best so I did them all. lol I put some of the oil mixture on her chest too (not vicks though) , and it stopped her cough within a half an hour.

It's very quiet on this Personal Accounts board now, which I guess is a good thing.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #46
Cassie

Today was vaccination day in our school district. DD had no fever at all yesterday finally. I didn't give her any meds today just to be sure. I didn't want her to have the vaccination right now unless she was ok. I told them she was very tired still and had slight cough, they checked her temp and there was no fever so they said that was ok and she got her vaccination.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #47
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Glad to hear she's doing better.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #48
Cassie

So something has been going on with DH and I for over a week now. Started as a very sore throat with sinus headache. I took zithromax for 3 days, didn't really seem to help too much. I didn't get worse, but the only thing it did was help the sore throat some. I haven't had any fever and legs ached a bit a few days, generally tired. But for the most part carrying on as usual. Except for this sinus headache. There is now some post nasal gunk, and a dry cough. My nose wasn't even stuffy until yesterday.

Could this be the H1N1? My daughter was fever free about 13 days before my symptoms started. She had high fever, very tired and sick the first few days. Mine feels more like a cold. I'm just curious if anyone has tested positive with these symptoms.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #49
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
Cassie I don't know where you are but in my area we've got one heck of a head cold going around. I started feeling it on Nov 13th but it really hit me on the 16th and I haven't completely stopped blowing my nose yet. My kid started getting it Friday and the SO started sneezing yesterday.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #50
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

zpacks dont seem to work well for sinus issues with me ... good old fashion ceftin does wonders tho ask your dr

Tags
fever, guess, headache