Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Default H1N1?

Looks as if my son may have H1N1. we are waiting for the lab to come and do the swab now. His school has just been closed for incidences of H1N1. At least 2 kids in his grade have tested positive. He was fine one day and then the next developed fatigue, sniffles, dry non productive cough, and sore throat. afebrile and on physical exam nada. I was against testing or treatment. these symptoms started on Sunday. Last night he developed a fever in the pm to 38.9 and this am has a lo grade temp of 37.3-37.5. i started him on a ventolin inhaler last noc for his cough which helped. My husband, who is not a medical person has a) insisted on testing and b) wants to treat with tamiflu if he is positive. I want to go ahead and test due to pressure from my spouse and since the school is closed anyway and then to treat with bedrest, fluids etc. i have also ordered a rapid strep since his throat is red and his tonsils enlarged. My physician has recommended a new antibiotic here instead which is a quinolone .

Disturbing factor is what has been discussed before. All the kids exhibiting same symptoms--- mild cold symptoms without fever or horrendous body aches and pains--- onset of fever is about 72 hours after cold symptoms.
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Samen
unregistered

How long for lab results?
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samen View Post
How long for lab results?
this evening at 9pm for the lab work ( CBC with diff and wanted to do a lipid profile with liver enzymes since he hasn't had any drawn), not until tomorrow for the H1N1- cannot ( and should have been able to obtain) the results of routine flu--A or B. they couldn't do a rapid strep so are doing a culture and sensitivity which of course will be another 48 hrs. He is doing better now- decrease cough, afebrile and less of a sore throat so maybe just a cold like I had thought. Such hysteria with the H1N1 in this country though .
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Kassy
Eurothrash

Best wishes for your son Mayerling.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
Best wishes and take care..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Mayerling
Member Level 5

thanks. He was fine during the day but at night had a temp of 39.4. Strep doesn't usually run with fevers like that. Seems too high of a fever for mono. Well, the diff of the CBC will at least give me an idea if this is viral or bacterial.

I am a medical person and not prone to looking for zebras. My husband more concerned than I am.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Well, always listen to the patient. My son is positive for H1N1. Strange presentation of symptoms. Started with sniffles and sore throat, cough and watery eyes on Sat-Sun am. No fever until Sunday night when it got up to almost 40 C. Yesterday no fever during the day ( well a mild one of 37.5) but shot up again at night. Fevers where only at night.

he is fine but now concern is for my husband who has bronchitis, and had TB -- and COPD. Fortunately, we were able to find Tamiflu on the local market ( a huge price) in case he needs it.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Oh no......I hope they feel better soon.....did you have the vax?
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Samen
unregistered

Be fast with the tamy on DH start it within 6 hours is what they say in Finland now.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Yes, got the vaccination yesterday only because i am a medical person. the vaccination not avail to the public yet here in egypt. they have it on a priority basis which does make sense. my son did not need tamiflu as his symptoms were fairly mild. I did start him on zithromax while waiting for the throat culture which i finally got last night and which showed staph,not strep. i normally wouldn't treat a staph infection of the throat but will on him so switched antibiotics to septra as resistant to zithromax. thanks for your concern and best wishes all.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
dessismama
Member Level 1

Hope your son is doing better now!! Many wishes for good health to everyone in your family!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
Hope your son is doing better now!! Many wishes for good health to everyone in your family!
Thank you! Everyone fine now. Mild case it seems. My husband and I are fine.

Tags
h1n1