Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs

Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs Tips for maintaining your car, boat, and all things mechanical.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default timing belt question

the recommended routine maintenance on my 2005 toyota Sienna minivan says I need to change my timing belt at 90,000 and while there I should change the water pump since they are right next to each other...

my question is how far can I safely push that out? its a $1000.00 job and I just do not have the cash right now the van is at 88,000 miles now...

makes me ill that a $55 timing belt costs $600 to put in and the $44 water pump is another $400...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,672 Posts
Must be at the dealership. Look arround for separate mechanic.

It is going to be expensive. Transverse mounted engines are a pain.

How long? It depends. Do you see fraying?

Here is the problem. Some engines have valves which might hit the pistons if the timing beltnbreaks. That is VERY expensive. BTDT beFore the replacement mileage.

Some go a long time. I wouldn't wait too long. Couple of months not getting crazy.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

It is a crapshoot. There are no guarantees. It could break next time you start it, or it could last to over 150k miles. I have seen a couple cars go to nearly 200k before their timing belt failed, but I certainly would not recommend pushing it that far. But it is a Toyota, so I would not sweat pushing it out another 15 0r 20K miles. And I agree with Pote; find a good non-dealer mechanic. Having a timing chain replaced at the dealer will cost you way more than you should pay.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I have checked with 2 other mechanics and the cost is within $50-$100 of the dealer (sad huh)... in that case I am leaning toward the dealer... at least if I go with the dealer if they fuck it up Im more likely to get them to fix it than a independent...

Tags
belt, question, timing