Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,723 Posts
Default Preparedness "Do's"

Live and learn. Post some of the things you've learned through experience.

Do put everything organic into mouseproof containers, jars or tubs. Even if its vacuum sealed mice will get into it.

Do O2 absorb, CO2 flush, vac seal or freeze EVERYTHING. Even boxed products with the paper/plastic bags are vulnerable to pests and bugs. Jars that are merely sealed with dry food are still prone to bug infestation.

Do rotate non-perishables like cloth goods, paper towels and TP. Those packages in the back make nice mice homes.

Do periodic pantry clean-outs all the way to the wall. Mice like to make homes behind those boxes in the back. They'll eat right through the sheetrock and make homes in the insulation in your walls.

Do date and rotate everything. Inventories are not a necessity but they sure do make it easier to keep up with what you have. We date with codes that don't look like dates (no dashes or slashes). That way if you give stuff away you won't shock people when they see how "old" it is

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
grannyclampett (01-16-2012)
Old 06-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,254 Times in 4,505 Posts
Ooh, I'll play.

Hide the chocolate somewhere YOU can't find it.

When you discover those six year old candy canes you got on clearance and put away as preps, you can eat them now.

Stash the good stuff behind ingredients - ie, bags of chips go behind the six cases of home canned turkey broth.

Try a small amount of a new product before buying case lots. That way when you serve it the second time and everyone who LOVED it the first time now says, "Eww, we don't like THAT!" you can throw all 48 cans at their heads and the judge will understand.

Want to rotate your preps? Invite your adult children over and send it home with them. Those SIL's are walking garbage cans who will eat ANYTHING.

Freeze it BEFORE you vac seal because apparently bugs don't need a lot of oxygen to hatch and crawl all over the inside of the glass.

Old flour loses nutrition way before it goes rancid. Without nutrition it doesn't feed the yeast and you bake bricks. Add malt powder and vit C to old flour to beef it up.

No cardboard or paper in the pantry. Metal, glass and thick plastic containers only.

You never have enough preps or storage places to put them.

When you cannot possibly cram one more package into your freezers, meat will go on sale - for the lowest prices you have seen in the last 10 years.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
grannyclampett (01-16-2012), l'Incendiario (11-16-2011)
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Zazzu
Longtime Lurkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Try a small amount of a new product before buying case lots. That way when you serve it the second time and everyone who LOVED it the first time now says, "Eww, we don't like THAT!" you can throw all 48 cans at their heads and the judge will understand.
Do carry a can opener, disposable spoons and napkins in the trunk of your car.
When you find new item and or it's on sale, buy one and sample it right there in the store parking lot. Saves a trip back to buy more.
Zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Bri2301
Member Level 4

Quote:
When you cannot possibly cram one more package into your freezers, meat will go on sale - for the lowest prices you have seen in the last 10 years.
There is no doubt.

Or, when you a convinced that you just hit the clearance of clearances and stopp of at another store and notice the item at the same "bargain price" you paid (or within 5 %).

For advice, rotate, rotate, rotate...

Jeff B.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
SarahS
ripple in still water

I can't seem to let go of out-of-date stuff, but if you can... donate to the local food bank or shelter, just before it expires. They will use it, and appreciate it too.
Keep cats for those out-of-control mice. I have no mice.
Of course, growing your own food is the best "do." I'm working on it. But I'm best at blueberries... about two hundred bushes... guess I will have to barter!
SarahS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

When you get a bunch of your child's favorite food (because it went on sale), they will immediately announce they are sick of it.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
Do keep old fashioned popping corn and know how to pop it on the stove. Its good for nervous snacking and you won't have to share the chocolate.
lilargal (08-05-2014)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

"Old Fashioned" popping corn is sold in 25# bags at Sams (and I'm sure other similar discount warehouses) as well as by concession wholesalers. Its quite inexpensive. It also makes decent cornmeal. Stored properly it lasts a long time, the major problem with the old stuff is when its popped there are a few more old maids. Be sure to put it in glass or vac seal it then put it into tubs. Mice will eat right through the vac bag and make a mell of a hess....

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
flourbug

OT! But for a good cause.

You can also get the big tubs of baking soda at Sam's and you know what popping corn and baking soda make:

KETTLE CORN!

7 quarts popped popcorn
2 cups salted peanuts (or pecans, or cashews, or macadamia nuts)
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup salted butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 250

Removing any unpopped kernels, put the cooled popcorn and nuts into a big roasting pan (you may need two).

Mix together brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a LARGE saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. When it starts to boil, keep stirring and boil for 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will foam up. (Which is why I said a LARGE saucepan.)

Pour over the popcorn/nut mixture and toss it all around until it is fairly well coated.

Put the pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring the contents every 15 minutes. You want to get it all dried out. It's going to clump up some but don't worry about that too much.

When it is done, dump it all into a big paper shopping bag. As soon as it is cool enough to touch, stick your hands in and start breaking apart the big clumps.

Eat, and get fat. This stuff is GOOD and it is ADDICTIVE.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Greta

The main one I have learned is NEVER buy and store foods item that you don't normally eat on an regular basis. What usually happens in the end, the stuff just sits on the shelf and goes to waste and expires, or it is something that nobody likes and won't eat so (there again), it goes to waste. And I hate wasting food.

The problem I have is my house is really small so there is very little storage space. That is one reason why I became interested in precious metals because I have very little space for preps.
Greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta View Post
The problem I have is my house is really small so there is very little storage space. That is one reason why I became interested in precious metals because I have very little space for preps.
There are some really innovative techniques to store stuff. Some of them are on the Internet but others are in magazines and books from the 1980s.

Heck, I can store 30-45 days underneath a queen size bed. Set the feet on bricks and I can get another 15 days. A "dust ruffles" covers them all up.

End tables for every couch? Cases of veggies covered with cloth.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
stars01
Member Level 3

If no electricity = no water find a way to store water. Berkey, rain barrels, 55 gallon barrels...even a hand pump on the well <I should take my own advice about the hand pump>

You never know how much you need water until you don't have it.

paula
stars01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
flourbug

Quote:
Dehydrated and freeze dried foods take up MUCH less room than canned goods. For example, six #10 cans of tomato sauce dehydrate down to fit in a half gallon container.

You can get just about anything dehydrated, even eggs and dairy products.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

A well bail bucket, an appropriate length of poly rope and a block and tackle are good to have if you have a well.

+1 on the dried foods. There are some products I actually prefer to canned. Tomato powder is awesome!

Berkey's for water treatment are terrific. Extra filters are a good idea to keep on hand.

Medical supplies and books are important and if you get the opportunity, courses on wilderness EMT are a good thing to have under your belt.

Food preservation skills and supplies are a must. The ability to can, salt, pickle and dry along with the supplies required including a propane cooker for pressure canning are a good thing to keep on hand if the power goes out for an extended period of time. Generators give you some time to work through your freezers.

Keep extra space in your freezer full of water filled jugs to conserve energy day to day and to help keep things frozen longer during outages.

Be aware that cooking smells travel a long way.

Be prepared to defend against Zombies

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
Look at what you do and use everyday and play the how can I game. Once you've come up with the idea test it.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I went out garage saleing last weekend. I scored big time. Some guy had a collection of oil lamps. I bought 6 for me and 2 for my brother. I think I have 8-9 now.A couple are really pretty.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Greta

Thanks for the suggestions to solve spacing issues for preps. I am definitely going to consider raising my bed some more, even though I already have storage containers under there where I keep some clothes, shoes, and stuff because I don't have much space in my closet because of the four buckets of wheat, and two buckets of rice.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta View Post
Thanks for the suggestions to solve spacing issues for preps. I am definitely going to consider raising my bed some more, even though I already have storage containers under there where I keep some clothes, shoes, and stuff because I don't have much space in my closet because of the four buckets of wheat, and two buckets of rice.

http://www.thefurniture.com/store/pr...phony-bd-wenge

Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
Greta

Hey, that is cool! What about building cabinets and/or drawers underneath the bed, but of course I would need a step ladder to get in/out of the bed.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
LizB
Member Level 4

Oils are essential. That canned butter supposedly lasts "forever" and needs no special storage.

To find willing recipients of the "outdated" canned goods you are cleaning out of the back cupboard, list the offer on freecycle. Lots of people grew up before the dating system and were trained that if the can looks good the food is edible, they will gladly take the outdated cans for themselves or for a struggling neighbor.
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
preparedness