Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,633 Times in 2,797 Posts
Default No testing for teachers

God forbid that teachers would know the subjects they are teaching.

Where would you put all of the coaches?

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...eacher-/nPxBG/

Critics say higher standards could create teacher shortages

First, it was the tough, new Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test for students. Now it will be tougher tests for teachers.

Florida wants teachers to get higher grades on certification exams for some subjects, like chemistry and health.

But WFTV's Racquel Asa learned that the move could hurt districts because certain subjects, particularly involving science, are already hard to recruit for.

Andrew Spar represents the 4,400 teachers in Volusia County. He said the new standards don't guarantee the best teachers.

"What's worse, in my opinion, is having a classroom that has a substitute because we haven't been able to get a teacher who is certified and capable of being in that classroom," said Spar.

Last year more than 1,000 people passed the certification test to teach biology in grades six through 12. With the new standards, only 250 are expected to make the grade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,733 Times in 2,129 Posts
It's a difficult mix to achieve Pot, people gifted in the sciences are going to be lured by lucrative industry jobs. You also want that person gifted in the sciences to be gifted in the very different art of teaching. In my college experience, the brightest science guys were not the best teachers. You need good mix of both talents.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,460 Posts
I hope Florida is able to pull this off. Of course, there's that little matter of the teacher's union . . .
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Um, ok. If I'm getting this right, they expect the students to learn the material, but not the teachers? God help us.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,214 Times in 2,043 Posts
Why not? Teaching isn't hard. You just stand up in front of the class and read the textbook aloud. Tests are sentences from the textbook with a significant word left out, or a true/false. Make the little brats sit down and listen in silence. Class discussion just wastes time.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Exodia (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,633 Times in 2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
Why not? Teaching isn't hard. You just stand up in front of the class and read the textbook aloud. Tests are sentences from the textbook with a significant word left out, or a true/false. Make the little brats sit down and listen in silence. Class discussion just wastes time.
A large percentage of teacher I have know are exactly like that.

Either at the end of their careers (retired on active duty) and use the same tests, year after year, coaches they need to teach a few classes to get them the money they want, and new teachers barely out of the university.

Now textbooks come with teacher's editions (nothing new), PowerPoint slide sets to teach the materials by chapter, test development software (select the questions and print out or save as PDF files, workbooks for the students, videos and "notes" for tutoring labs and "BlackBoard" software on the school web server.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,505 Posts
Quote:
coaches they need to teach a few classes to get them the money they want
I don't know about other places, but most of the coaches I've met teach history. The football coach in the high school I went to the coach put history films on for the class or war movies about famouse battles. There normally were no girls in their classes, only footbal players. The days he didn't have movies they talked about the history of football and about either the games the past Friday night or the one coming up.

I do have a friend that's a wrestling coach, but I'm not sure what else he teaches. I do know he's very big on education and the wrestlers have to keep their grades up. He's had many guys get wrestling scholorships.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
flu-n-u
Member Level 1

Coaches are HISTORY teachers?

OH! When did THAT happen? The same time they decided 'teachers aids' were a better (read lower cost) way of staffing classrooms?

This explains the completely confusing NPR show I heard a while ago, about how football players are dying from heat exhaustion because their schools don't have athletic trainers working with the teams. Which made NO sense because all the athletic trainers I know just have a certificate or at most some community college. It's what jocks who can't get into a decent school seem to be doing now.

PE teachers I knew when I was in school had at least a bachelors degree from a 4 year university, plus a teaching credential. And physical education had a LOT of science, including physiology. Certainly enough to understand conditioning. And with ongoing training required for salary advancement, they should have been able to stay abreast of the science in their field!

Of course I just learned nurses are certified through multiple choice exams now. Race to the bottom. It's been won.
flu-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,214 Times in 2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu-n-u View Post
Coaches are HISTORY teachers?

OH! When did THAT happen?
1971. My "world history" teacher was a coach. And he was the one who "taught" by reading the textbook aloud, errors and all.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,505 Posts
Yep, the hisory teacher/coach at my school had been there quite awhile when I was there from 76-79.

Had a real jerk for a drafting teacher that didn't like a girl being in class and gave my projects low grades and all the guys, whose work wasn't as good, higher ones. The guy next to me and I traded drawings and turned them in and it happened again. That's when I went to the office to complain. They didn't do much, but his wife was a sub in my electricity class and when I told her what happened I started getting better grades, the ones I worked for.

Tags
teachers, testing