Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #26
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Seriously... Mouse... that's a heck of a lot of work. Focus on what you DID do. There's not one of us with a completely done 'to do' list.

I need to do some filing, place badly needs dusting, some drawers need vaccuming out. I have to finish cleaning kitchen cupboards... many etceteras.

It never ends.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
Cactus Az

I like a nice clean orderly house.

But..............

I get just so bent out of shape when I get it looking like I want, and the next day,it looks like a cyclone went through it.

Housework is just so damned daily.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #28
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I love a nice, clean, orderly house as well. It's perfect I can't manage & it took me years to let that notion go. So I'm stupid & stubborn. I don't figure I'll ever lie on my deathbed regretting not having done more vaccuming or any other chore though.

Three adults & three aging cats in a small apartment... maybe 700 sq. ft.?

It's invariably crowded - we're on our fifth year here. We don't use the main area in any traditional sense. Our 'dining' room has a freezer, microwave on stand, china cabinet, storage chest & 'my world' - my computer & TV setup. The cats are fed/watered/littered there as well.

This year, we have a gravel quarry operating less than a mile away & guess where the prevailing wind comes from? On the other side - a construction site. So dust in constant. I could easily dust daily but I don't; certianly not thoroughly.

A spotless kitchen is important to us - it's a small kitchen! We also find it depressing when it's not clean. Throughout the day, ishes are done as soon as there are more than a few & after supper, we do the dishes, counters, stovetop & anything that looks a bit grubby. In the morning when we get up, the worst thing we'll see is maybe a glass or two or small plates from evening snacks.

Litter box is cleaned many times a day & washed out every 2 days. The bathroom is 'attacked' every 2-3 days - everything tiled washed down, counters wiped. I sweep the floors daily, sometimes twice.

Bedrooms - meh! We make the beds daily & hang clothes immediately. When we go out anywhere, we don't permit ourselves to sit & relax until every item we took with us and/or brought home is cleaned or put in the wash or put away, we're cleaned up & we've tidied the bathroom behind us.

It all sounds onerous - nope. An hour, hour & a hlf per day between the two of us as needed for routine maintenance & added b'og' jobs are broken down so we're not stuck with big jobs lasting the better part of a day. I notice some aspects of cleaning need doing more readily than does SO & vice versa. If we see something we judge needs doing, we do it. And to be honest, right now he does at least 2/3 of the housework & 95% of the laundry.

I work outside the home at least one day a week & increasingly, more than that. I also do all the cooking, most of the shopping & an increasing amount of my time is taken up caring for D, co-ordinating her appointments & followups. SO would rather scrub a hundred toilets than touch any of that & vice versa.

It all works rather well for us & we find an ordered home sure cuts down on the level of mental chaos for all of us.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
I like a nice clean orderly house.

But..............

I get just so bent out of shape when I get it looking like I want, and the next day,it looks like a cyclone went through it.

Housework is just so damned daily.
Yup. It's like stringing beads with no knot at the end of your thread!
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Perfect description, MA.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
I don't figure I'll ever lie on my deathbed regretting not having done more vaccuming or any other chore though.

Words I live by!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,957 Posts
And at my MIL's funeral, none of her kids said "Gee, remember how much fun it was when Mom sterilized the house every day?"
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #33
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,715 Posts
I grew up in a terrible house that mother refused to clean. I never had anyone over being ashamed.

That carried to me as an adult where I never invited anyone over unless the house was perfect. Subsequently I never had anyone over.

Now, I care less. My house is lived in. Not nasty, not disorganized but lived in.

People's houses aren't perfect either. Neither is mine.

I lost a lot of chances at human interface and friendship with that messed up attitude.

I learned to ditch that.

Some people are turned off unless it is perfect. I have since found that those are the types of people I can't be acquaintances or friends with.

No loss.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #34
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Party is at you place......... next week-end...... Pot.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Mouse you need a cleaning person to come in and clean once every week or at least every two. No reason for one person to spend their life working away from home then on the home. That goes for everyone. Don't say you can't afford it. You can afford to buy yourself some time. 'nuff said by me about that. Sorry folks that goes for everyone. If you live in an urban area it is easy to hire an agency.

We here in the mountains have a difficult time hiring dependable and good folks. We luck out once in awhile and recently found a couple of people who take real pride in their work. We take pride in their work as well.

Pot my childhood home was exact opposite to yours and I didn't invite anyone home because they'd never understand the house rules. There were a couple of kids I did let in but not before I instilled in them the basics. Paramount was do not go anywhere other than the kitchen. Bathroom visits only if really really necessary.

My mother got up each day at 4 so she could clean the house before she went to work. No item of any sort sat in the house for more than 24 hours before it was cleaned. Each day everything was dusted wiped and dust mopped. My mother used white cloths to clean with an I do not recall ever seeing anything on the cloths. I do not tell a lie. Saturday all things in each room were moved to the other side of the room and it was cleaned. That was the day the vacuuming took place. One was not to vacuum around anything. Likewise dust or dust mop. Sweeping was not allowed in the house. The concrete basement floor could be swept by my father using a wet broom.
Spring cleaning was the biggest one of the year. All things went out of the house. Carpets were cleaned, floors were waxed. (maple hardwood) During the year they were buffed as needed They were waxed twice a year. Christmas cleaning and Spring cleaning. The scary part is my sister who is now in her late 70's is a carbon copy to my mother and has always been prideful of being cleaner.
A rule I broke in sisters house was socks on her carpet. I didn't know it was a new rule not in Mum's book.
One is to wear carpet slippers in the house not socks. Socks allow foot nasties to touch carpets.
I think her daughter caught the disease as well. She is 50's now but in her 20's at her wedding. The best man made a toast and also added. That he hoped he did all the things he was suppose to do according to her list or he was going to be in trouble.

Me, I ran from the crazy house cleaning germs. I feel exceeding nervous when I am near people who live in exquisitely clean houses.

Be comfortable is my best idea. I don't like a big dirty mess either. I like it homey!

In regards to things they say after you die. My father said a day or so after the service. She was an excellent housekeeper.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Wow - Sarrah! I can't imagine living in a place that clean. I am not living in a perfect world with perfect things & heaven knows - I'm far from a perfect person!

I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've lowered my 'standards' around the house in the last year or so - since my step daughter became ill. Don't get me wrong - it's a small & crowde apartment so we keep it CLEAN & we try to always put things away right after we use them. Kitchen is always cleaned before bed - save for maybe 5-6 nights a year & this may be one of them - LOL. I couldn't stop napping today - 2 days in the sun wiped me out.

But minor stuff like dusting which I used to do daily - forget about it. I've only got so much energy & lately, I'm picking up more paid work outside the home. We're experiencing a hot, humid summer & gardening for other people, (heavy weeding), is brutal. My cleaning jobs aren't THAT bad but if I've had a bad night before, it's tough. I'd rather save my energy for recharging my batteries & grabbing fun & relaxation.

Agency cleaning here is nauseatingly expensive. The agencies have to cover the costs of the cleaners they send, their overhead & profit. It's cheaper by far to find a private cleaner who's reliable.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #37
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Sounds like you have the cleaning sanely managed Sue. One thing with the agencies. You usually get way more than one person. So you may have all your work done in an hour, sometimes two. In the long run it is cheaper and they are insured. It helps with breakage etc. But of course one really good person on the side is better. The secret is finding them. We have the pick of two right now but man oh day the toads we had to hug to get this far.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
Potemkin

Well Mouse, did the visitor propose?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #39
Cactus Az

Well, my place looks like I want it maybe twice a year. for 10 minutes max.

We live in a 16x80 tincan. Have 5 cats, 2 old ones and 3 younger. 5 dogs, an old Great Dane, a 6 year old Chi, who might get to 6 if he stops peeing on things, and 3 Heelers, 4 and 3. Hair is a given. I`ll never get rid of all of it. So, I don`t try, except when the Heelers are "blowing". All 10 get at least a swipe with a brush every day,out on the porch, every hair left out there is one I don`t have to get later.

I figure that DD is making up for her having only one child by having furbabies. A hyst at 26 for cancer will do that I guess.

Her now husband has adjusted well. He never had inside critters when he was young. Now, they share their bed with 1 Heeler,sometimes 2, the Chi, and from 1 to 4 cats.

I get the 2 old cats, sometimes another one or 2,if the old gals will allow it. 2 Heelers usually sleep next to my bed, on their own sleepng bag.

GS usually just has "his" cat.

Now, if there is a T-storm, all dogs are one someone`s bed. Scardycats.

As the saying goes that you`re not well dressed unless your outfit has pet hair, we`re always top notch.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #40
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Well Mouse, did the visitor propose?
Not yet, but he is planning on moving here when he is done with his college degree.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #41
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Our male company from Spain will be leaving Wed. morning. I expect all hell to break loose with DD#1...probably him too.

Calorie Counter
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #42
sandyd
Beach Fun

Will she follow him to Spain?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #43
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,069 Times in 924 Posts
How much does a cleaning/ironing lady cost in your country ?

We pay $55, €45 /day

For a spotless clean house and wardrobe of clothes
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #44
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,037 Times in 4,413 Posts
Oric, cleaning ladies are hit or miss. Occasionally you'll find someone who is dependable and does a good job for $25 per hour or so. But most people use bonded services that send a team of 3 - 4 people for an hour. They do a thorough job for around $100.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
Will she follow him to Spain?
I doubt that seriously. She doesn't know any Spanish at all, and he can't afford to keep her while he is still in college.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
How much does a cleaning/ironing lady cost in your country ?

We pay $55, €45 /day

For a spotless clean house and wardrobe of clothes
I don't know what they cost here, but whatever it is, I can't afford it.

Calorie Counter
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #46
sandyd
Beach Fun

She outta go and learn teach German to the people in Spain, while learning spanish.

I know people do it to live in China with English! And no, they don't go knowing chinese.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #47
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
She outta go and learn teach German to the people in Spain, while learning spanish.

I know people do it to live in China with English! And no, they don't go knowing chinese.
Right you are.. Of course in China everyone WANTS to practice English. You want to practice your Mandarin they look at you like "WTF, you already know English. Why?"

No, or very little need for Mandarin or Cantonese in the major cities.

No English speaker is going to learn Simplified Chinese other than the character for the major cities, exit, stuff like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
sandyd (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #48
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,082 Times in 642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
I doubt that seriously. She doesn't know any Spanish at all, and he can't afford to keep her while he is still in college.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I don't know what they cost here, but whatever it is, I can't afford it.

How's that all working out for you?

Spanish boyfriend going home and all..,

Must have been an interesting couple of weeks.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #49
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Mouse - I hope she doesn't become too upset or rather - that she doesn't take it out on you.

Tags
coming, company