Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,172 Posts
Default House centipedes

ARE THE CREEPIEST NASTIEST LOOKING THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!

That said, I need to figure out how to keep them out of my apartment. I don't care if they're in the basement. I understand that they eat other bugs that I might not want around.

I've seen 4 in here since we took over the apartment in late May. The first one was on the wall in my son's bedroom before we even moved in. The second he found in the kitchen sink at 3:00 am one morning. The third was in the shower yesterday morning and the 4th in the same place on his bedroom wall again just now.

The friend I took the apartment over from, and who moved to a house up behind me owned by the same landlord, says she only ever saw them in the shower and in fact has had 2 in her bathtub up there since she moved in. This leads me to believe that maybe they're coming up through the septic system. She is on a septic system up there as well.

Does that sound about right?

Other possibility, coming up through the vent, there is one in my son's room not far from where these two have been on the wall.

These things are horrible looking and although I haven't seen one move, I understand they're fast as hell.

What can I do to keep them downstairs eating bad bugs? The basement is barely finished. It's an older house, maybe 1960s, and the floor is basically raised boards over dirt, the back wall is basically hillside. There is no way to seal any cracks down there.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
If the basement is not properly sealed, I don't think you can keep them out. I had that problem in a basement walkout apartment in southern Ontario years ago. I was laying in bed watching tv, boyfriend snoring away, on his back, mouth open. Centipede dropped from the ceiling, missing his mouth by about 2 inches. i moved out about a month later. They were there everytime I turned around.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
drummagick

UGH UGH UGH UGH

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

I am going to literally coat the interior of the apartment with Raid now.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
rb.

The rRaid's probably worse for you than the centipedes.

How is it that most of us can handle bugs outdoors, but not indoors?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
drummagick

I can't handle this indoor or outdoors. Maybe under the rough floor in the basement, eating other bugs and keeping them from coming upstairs.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
rb.

Yeah, when they move, their legs look like hairs. Funny enough, I never see them indoors here, just the earwigs.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
drummagick

I finally asked my landlord about it and he said ALL the houses around here get them. This house is built right into the hillside on my level, I don't know that I'm going to be able to keep them out. Just killed another one this morning.

Well, I don't see any other bugs in the house, there's that. *rolls eyes*
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
drummagick

In 1902, C.L. Marlatt, an entomologist with the United States Department of Agriculture writes in Circular #48 – The House Centipede: “It may often be seen darting across floors with very great speed, occasionally stopping suddenly and remaining absolutely motionless, presently to resume its rapid movements, often darting directly at inmates of the house, particularly women, evidently with a desire to conceal itself beneath their dresses, and thus creating much consternation.”
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
rb.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,723 Posts
http://blog.ecosmart.com/index.php/2...omment-page-2/

How to control house centipedes

Control begins with prevention:

Make sure you eliminate small insect problems like silverfish or ants. Centipedes prey on smaller insects, so getting rid of them eliminates their food source and attraction to your home.

Also, keep your house dry. Centipedes love moist, dark places, so a basement flood aftermath is their dream scenario.

Sealing cracks in your walls and foundation will also keep centipedes out. Cut out the access to your home, no centipede problem.

If you do have a centipede problem, control it:

Controlling a centipede problem starts with killing them on site. Yes, they’re fast and might give you the willies, but if you kill a centipede when you see it then you might have eliminated a further problem. Unlike ants and other household pests, centipedes don’t invade in large numbers.

Setting sticky traps is a good way to discover the breadth of the problem. If you set sticky traps and catch multiple centipedes, they have probably started invading your home.

This leads you to the final line of defense: insecticides. Once you discover that you have a problem with multiple centipedes, you’ll want to pick an insecticide to control them. Centipedes aren’t attracted to bait because they prey on insects, so you’ll want to spray insecticide along the base of walls and other places where centipedes enter your home. This will kill them and keep them from reproducing.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

http://www.getridofthings.com/pests/...centipedes.htm

The only creatures that need to worry about house centipedes are their fellow pests, since centipedes kill and eat a variety of things you'd probably rather get rid of, like bed bugs, termites, silverfish, spiders, and even cockroaches. Technically, then, they're desirable in the home, but people have been telling me that about spiders for years, and I don't want to find one of them in the shower with me, either. So if you're with me, read on, and I'll help you get rid of centipedes.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
rb.

drum...there's a cottage industry for you! Breed them, and sell them as an organic bedbug solution! The big cities would love you!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
drummagick

I think I'm already breeding them

well, I have not seen one spider in this place. I don't mind spiders though, they do eat other bugs. Centipedes are eating my spiders that are eating other bugs!

Why can't centipedes develop wings and eat all the freaking gnats that are driving us insane when we want to go outside at night? Make themselves useful?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
drummagick

BG, I don't know that sealing wall and foundation cracks is going to be possible. The house is built into a hillside, with this floor going way back into it. Under me is a very unfinished basement that someone laid a rough floor above dirt and put a pressboard wall up on one side. If you open the door in the wall to get to the water heater, you see...hillside. We call this The Body Room, because it looks like a room you'd see in a movie about a serial killer.

I think they must be in the walls. My bedroom was a later addition maybe, not sure, but it doesn't go as far back as my son's bedroom and the kitchen, therefore it is not in the hillside. I also haven't seen any buggies in there. Yet. (Please God, no) I think I need to have son move everything away from his walls and spray the baseboard area, then do the same in the kitchen, living room and bathroom. The house upstairs never gets them at all. They can have mine.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Sounds like you might have to lose your predjudices against centipedes drum. They really are the good guys. Borax around the baseboards might keep them from coming past the walls and might be worth a try. My gut says you're fighting a losing battle LOL. Sticky traps might help reduce the numbers already inside. Also using essential oils like mints, citrus, pennyroyal, cinnamon and pine may keep them at bay.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
drummagick

I know they're the good guys. I just wish they were half the size and
had a quarter of the legs that they do.

And when one is on the wall and I spray it, it falls and heads STRAIGHT FOR ME at about 40 mph. They're as fast as cheetahs.

Ok, I'll try borax and maybe some cinnamon oil. Make the place smell good too. Better than Raid anyway.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
drummagick

I wonder if this is the reason I have never seen any of the little black sugar ants here, like everyone else in town gets. I swear we are built on a ginormous ant nest, and someday will collapse into a giant sinkhole of sugar ants.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
We have these creepies all over our house. The climate here seems to be just right for them.

I don't know about them liking moist in particular, because it's as dry as a mummies tomb here most of the time.

I like to leave spiders alone when they are stationary in their webs. They do kill a lot of things. I can tell from their dinner crumbs..,

I can only hope the centipedes are doing the same.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Chilopodophobia

Get over it...,

http://voices.yahoo.com/house-centip...st-182847.html

Quote:
...their prey of choice covers quite a few bugs we'd like to see less of: roaches, houseflies, clothes moths, silverfish, termites..pretty much every bug in the house. Centipedes, like spiders, are voracious predators of insects . Their life's goal is to catch and eat as many of them as they can. Centipedes have a long lifespan; they can live up to six years.
Nice.

Quote:
They're also increasing in popularity as pets. Don't believe me? Go to Arachnopet.com.
Not so nice??

Quote:
If you gently sweep them into a plastic cup and set them free in your cellar or outside, they will go on their merry way killing lots and lots of REAL household pests that carry disease, transport bacteria, or have babies that like to eat your winter clothes.
Very nice!!

Quote:
So they're scary looking; so's my uncle Bert. That's not a good enough reason to squash them! Just look upon centipedes as benign, chemical and pesticide-free super-exterminators who charge nothing for their services and keep to themselves... other than an occasional windsprint across your bathroom floor.
Hmmm.., I wonder if I can sell this to my wife?

Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!

Last edited by Auburn Boy; 08-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
P.S.:

October is "House Centipede Awareness Month."

LOL!!!!!
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,996 Posts
We had them in Italy, too. Our drinking water came from the base, and it was so heavily chlorinated that we had to leave the caps off the jugs to let it dissipate before we could drink it. Yeah. Try finding a centipede in your drinking water.

I finally took some fiberglass mesh and rubber-banded that over the water jugs, so the air could get in, the chlorine get out, and the 'pedes KEEP out.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
drummagick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
We have these creepies all over our house. The climate here seems to be just right for them.

I don't know about them liking moist in particular, because it's as dry as a mummies tomb here most of the time.

I like to leave spiders alone when they are stationary in their webs. They do kill a lot of things. I can tell from their dinner crumbs..,

I can only hope the centipedes are doing the same.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Chilopodophobia

Get over it...,

http://voices.yahoo.com/house-centip...st-182847.html

Nice.

Not so nice??

Very nice!!

Hmmm.., I wonder if I can sell this to my wife?

I'm almost convinced.

And it's dry as a mummy's tomb here too. Dryer.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #22
rb.

But the ground isn't dry. That's all it takes.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
drummagick

It's pretty darn dry right now, being the end of summer.

That was an interesting Yahoo article that Auburn Boy posted. And truthfully, this is the first place I've lived in that's totally bug-free (except for centipedes) since I've moved to this area. We had a lot of spiders in the big family home, and sugar ants (pretty bad infestation) in the last apartment I had.

Maybe I'll just concentrate on keeping them out of son's room. I could probably live with them anywhere else.

Anyone know if those electronic bug repellers actually work?

Tags
centipedes, house