Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Default I think flu she says cold.

The lady who works for us came in to work Monday morning looking shall I say a bit grey. She had the previous week been having a soar neck etc that she couldn't think how she had hurt. We brushed it off sort of sometimes we get a kink sort of thing. Monday she ran for the bathroom and said she'd best go home after that. Tuesday she came in, I didn't see her DH sent her home. He said she is sick and he told her not to come back until she was better. Wed she asked if she could come in and we said not until you are well. She said it is only a cold. Like a cold won't kill me just as good as a flu. So, tell me how long is a flu contagious for? Or a cold? May as ask both as it costs the same eh? She will definitely be wanting to come back tomorrow. She is cooking dinner today for her family. She is stubborn though.
I say pain, throwing up, deep cough, flu. Cold is sneeze, blow nose, all congested and if it goes on after that and moves into your chest then you get the bronchitis and chest cough.
I have not actually said anything about it being flu or cold to her. I am only interested in if she comes back am I safe. DH for that matter. No idea what we will do if he gets sick and I'm not. One of us will have to go. Me I guess, to a motel. It is too cold to be in the 5th wheel.
I am surprised at her actually. She has medical training, she has the papers and would put my life in jeopardy saying it is just a cold. Not worth the pay cheque she is trying to save if it is the last one.

How long is she contagious with whatever she has? Anyone know?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,675 Times in 976 Posts
Oh Gawd. It so depends on what she actually has, which could be just about anything based on the description.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
The lady who works for us came in to work Monday morning looking shall I say a bit grey. She had the previous week been having a soar neck etc that she couldn't think how she had hurt. We brushed it off sort of sometimes we get a kink sort of thing. Monday she ran for the bathroom and said she'd best go home after that. Tuesday she came in, I didn't see her DH sent her home. He said she is sick and he told her not to come back until she was better. Wed she asked if she could come in and we said not until you are well. She said it is only a cold. Like a cold won't kill me just as good as a flu. So, tell me how long is a flu contagious for? Or a cold? May as ask both as it costs the same eh? She will definitely be wanting to come back tomorrow. She is cooking dinner today for her family. She is stubborn though.
I say pain, throwing up, deep cough, flu. Cold is sneeze, blow nose, all congested and if it goes on after that and moves into your chest then you get the bronchitis and chest cough.
I have not actually said anything about it being flu or cold to her. I am only interested in if she comes back am I safe. DH for that matter. No idea what we will do if he gets sick and I'm not. One of us will have to go. Me I guess, to a motel. It is too cold to be in the 5th wheel.
I am surprised at her actually. She has medical training, she has the papers and would put my life in jeopardy saying it is just a cold. Not worth the pay cheque she is trying to save if it is the last one.

How long is she contagious with whatever she has? Anyone know?
Flu- high fever, joint and muscle pain ( severe),headache,overwhelming fatigue.

Cold- lo grade or no fever, minimal muscle pain,rarely joint pain, congestion, sore throat, sneezing.

Having had the flu twice ( both A and B and H1N1) going to work wasn't even a glitch on my radar screen. One is really really ill, toxic looking. Trust me, even getting out of bed is difficult. You have no desire except to sleep thru it.
Mayerling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
Mayerling
Member Level 5

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/fl...is-it-cold-flu

From Web MD
Mayerling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Sarrah

Thank you guys, but what I need to know is how long is she contagious. I don't want to sound uncaring but in this particular case I don't care what she has. I want to know how long before she is not contagious. Unless you are saying there is no way to tell.

I hope she is well soon for her own self. We do wish her well. DH has her coming over for a few hours this afternoon to do some running around chores. So, no need to come in the house she can leave mail etc outside. By Monday I expect it will be safe enough. Unless she is out shopping in the Black Friday ordeal and re-catches whatever. I am surprised at the lack of common sense this lady is showing. She is usually smarter than this. But I've not had time to explain it to her and she is not a self teaching sort of person. She does always appreciate learning things but I don't want one of them to be how not to care for me.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Kassy
Eurothrash

Depending on what she has.

Influenza: you're contagious from 1 day before symptoms to 7 days after the illness.
A cold: 3 to 4 days after onset with most efficient transmission on day three.

For details dee here:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/dise...contagious.htm

Maybe you should just ask her how she's sure it's just a cold.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Sarrah

Thank you Kassy. I am sure the cold is wishful thinking. But it will no longer be a problem here. She found another job. She had been hoping to get on steady at the medical clinic and there is a job available.
This morning I feel stuffed up more than normal. I am calling it increased allergens. It is what it is and DH and I have done our best.
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Sounds like Mono to me... my kid presented with the same symptoms... sore neck but not sore body vomiting and ect... previously before him I had the same dang thing but didnt know it... the crap can be contagious for a very long time
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

There is some-thing nasty getting around and I dont think "they" know what it is.
I had syptoms at the week-end that makes me think its something......... new
Its going Global and landed here by ship......... below
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/g...-1226522853012
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Kassy
Eurothrash

Well that's something else entirely. Norovirus & cruiseliners aren't exactly a new combo either.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Flu- high fever, joint and muscle pain ( severe),headache,overwhelming fatigue.

Cold- lo grade or no fever, minimal muscle pain,rarely joint pain, congestion, sore throat, sneezing.

Having had the flu twice ( both A and B and H1N1) going to work wasn't even a glitch on my radar screen. One is really really ill, toxic looking. Trust me, even getting out of bed is difficult. You have no desire except to sleep thru it.
Let me throw one other caveat in the mix.

It depends. If the cold is "immunologically novel" you will be totally wrecked. Just like the flu except no nausea or diarrhea.

Example, I go to Asia. I pick up a cold, my first one from there. Total devastation.

I get one locally. Since it is probably just a variant of one I have seen immunologically last year, no big deal.

Of course the same thing applies with influenza. I also got H1N1 on a trip. I had the flu shots for years and haven't had contact with flu in about 20 years. They hadn't gotten H1N1 into the flu vaccine mix at that point.

I [email protected] near went to the hospital.

Tags
cold, flu