Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs

Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs Tips for maintaining your car, boat, and all things mechanical.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,331 Times in 2,674 Posts
Default Split ring Wheels

Why they are bad.

Might be the cheapest tire he could buy but I would be on those dangerous split ring wheels. There is a reason shops have a cage when you air them up.

A tire explosion flying two men into the air was captured on tape. A truck driver bought a new tire for his truck in a store, and decided to have the old tire repaired next store. While the truck driver was having his old tire repaired at this repair shop, the CCTV was running next store, capturing the whole tragic event. The repairman was pronounced dead while the driver was sent to ICU.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Ross (12-20-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Jackpine Savage
Member Level 1

It is incredible how much energy is stored in a tire. Split rims are bad but any rim or tire can fail. When I was a kid I was driving a tractor along side a combine when a 1/2" x 6" piece of the big combine tire rim let go. Talk about an explosion. There was a folding ladder that hung down over the tire, it flipped the ladder up and wedged it in the door opening of the combine, right where we would stand and ride along once in awhile. We had to use a chain and a tractor to pull the ladder out of the doorway.

I still cringe when I air up a tire.
Jackpine Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,331 Times in 2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine Savage View Post
It is incredible how much energy is stored in a tire. Split rims are bad but any rim or tire can fail. When I was a kid I was driving a tractor along side a combine when a 1/2" x 6" piece of the big combine tire rim let go. Talk about an explosion. There was a folding ladder that hung down over the tire, it flipped the ladder up and wedged it in the door opening of the combine, right where we would stand and ride along once in awhile. We had to use a chain and a tractor to pull the ladder out of the doorway.

I still cringe when I air up a tire.
Ha! I blew a bicycle tire when I was young airing it up. Even a bike tire.

As an adult when I do auto tires I always stoop to the side.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,489 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Pote .

I also know of a man now brain damaged as a result of
a truck rim blow-out . He will never be the same again .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ring, split, wheels