Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Sarrah, I doubt they would do that. I have shopped and I have her stocked up on anything she may need. Tomorrow, we are doing a big fruit and veggie run before she heads back. She'll be fine, I just know that DD will run until she drops. By that point, she's usually really sick.

DS never gets sick..( knock wood) I think it's all the hot sauce he eats.

I'm hearing that a lot LvDemWings I was thinking I may not bother getting the shot at this point.??
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
Wallflower

My son had the flu shot and was diagnosed with Type A yesterday.
Wallflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #28
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Sorry to hear that Wallflower. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
rootdiggr
Enjoying the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post

I'm hearing that a lot LvDemWings I was thinking I may not bother getting the shot at this point.??
Just what I have been thinking. Of course, I procrastinated beyond reason this year. And likely would have continued to do so at this point.

It was soooo much easier when the company brought in a nurse with a cooler full of vaccine, lol. But last year I managed to take care of it myself in November, and I could have this year as well. Only myself to blame.
rootdiggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,225 Posts
We didn't get the vax until late November in the north here because of politics between the major health insurance companies, and the supplier of the vax. By then it was too late for me to get it, as the first cold of the season hit me, followed by insane working problems in Dec. So I got the flu.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

hear about the nurse that refused to get the flu shot and was fired after 22 years of working at the same hospital and has never had a flu shot but couldnt get a waiver or anything
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #32
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
Sarrah, I doubt they would do that. I have shopped and I have her stocked up on anything she may need. Tomorrow, we are doing a big fruit and veggie run before she heads back. She'll be fine, I just know that DD will run until she drops. By that point, she's usually really sick.

DS never gets sick..( knock wood) I think it's all the hot sauce he eats.

Nope, I never thought for a moment she would run to the Doctor. It is me again changing the topic. I am bad for that. There is no point in promising to do better. I automatically assume that your beautiful intelligent daughter would make better choices.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #33
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 18,929 Times in 6,062 Posts
I'd love to know how they justify statements that the flu shot matches the current flu when so many people who have had the flu shot are getting the flu. It can't ALL be the timing.

It's that kind of doubletalk, words not matching the reality that everyone observes, that leads people to be suspicious of every official reassurance they are given about disturbing situations.

No one seems to think the American public (or the Japanese public re:radiation, for that matter!) deserves an explanation that makes sense to us.

It's always: This is the way it is--not how you see it. Don't pay attention to the facts, listen to what we say.

How long do they think that is going to work?

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,036 Times in 4,412 Posts
For as long as we sit and take it.

The Soviet news media... Baghdad Bob... the US govt and MSM... all jokes.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 18,929 Times in 6,062 Posts
I just ran across an interesting fact:

The flu shot is only 50%-75% effective even when it is well-matched to the strains circulating.

I guess nobody wants to advertise that little detail when they are trying to convince people to get the shot/sell flu vaccine!!

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
As a member of the public who understands the flu shot manufacturing process & who knows a bit about how quickly flu can shift, drift & change, I don't expect the WHO to get the flu shot composition right every year. It's not a reaosnable expectation.

What I do expect is national health authorities to be upfront when a vax doesn't match the circulating strain causing the most grief. It's not an admission of error or fault. It's an acknowledgement of reality. It is to me, more trust inducing, than a pat, BS assurance each & every year.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

lint, that info is available but as as readily as it SHOULD be.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linttrap View Post
I just ran across an interesting fact:

The flu shot is only 50%-75% effective even when it is well-matched to the strains circulating.

I guess nobody wants to advertise that little detail when they are trying to convince people to get the shot/sell flu vaccine!!

Well, if people wouldn't be such drone and sheep about their own health.

Taking care of yourself medically does mean a person has to do some work.

Anyone can check on the formulation of the vaccine every year. It is published on the CDC sites, WHO site. Heck, people even post it here.

If the formulation is the same as last year I skip it to same the $25.

The flu shot isn't a panacea. It takes months to manufacture so they take a scientific SWAG what the formulation needs to be.

Remember the year they missed H1N1? I went to Asia and got it.

Prior to that, it was 20 years since my last time.

Sure, it may not be 100% effective every year but I will take 50-75% over getting the flu again.

I am healthy. For the immunocompromized or the elderly, it may be that one thing that begins the long slide to an early death.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #38
Sonny
Star Witness

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

During week 52 (December 23-29), influenza activity increased in the U.S.
  • Viral Surveillance: Of 9,363 specimens tested and reported by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories, only 2,961 (31.6%) were positive for influenza.

Not all ILI are caused by flu viruses. also not everyone with the flu will have a positive test result even though they have the flu.. So all in all

only 32% of persons tested for ILI tested positive for Influenza tho you would assume there was clinical reason to suspect they had Influenza as the reason for the test in the first place..

Second point also from the same article Is this years seasonal vaccine strains are a very good match to the strains circulating in America.

Antigenic Characterization:

CDC has antigenically characterized 413 influenza viruses [17 2009 H1N1 viruses, 281 influenza A (H3N2) viruses, and 115 influenza B viruses] collected by U.S. laboratories since October 1, 2012.
2009 H1N1 [17]:
  • All 17 2009 H1N1 viruses tested were characterized as A/California/7/2009-like, [which is ] the influenza A (H1N1) component of the 2012-2013 influenza vaccine for the Northern Hemisphere.
Influenza A (H3N2) [281]:
  • 279 (99.3%) of the 281 H3N2 influenza viruses tested have been characterized as A/Victoria/361/2011-like, [Which is ] the influenza A (H3N2) component of the 2012-2013 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine.
  • 2 (0.7%) of the 281 H3N2 viruses tested showed reduced titers with antiserum produced against A/Victoria/361/2011.
Influenza B (B/Yamagata/16/88 and B/Victoria/02/87 lineages) [115]:
  • Yamagata Lineage [79]: 79 (68.7%) of the 115 influenza B viruses tested so far this season have been characterized as B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like, [which is ]the influenza B component of the 2012-2013 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine.
  • Victoria Lineage [36]: 36 (31.3%) of 115 influenza B viruses tested have been from the B/Victoria lineage of viruses.

~
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
Sonny
Star Witness

Posted on January 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM

PHOENIX -- Urgent care facilities, doctor's offices and hospital ERs are filled with those who think they have the flu.

But, RN Ashley Bergeron of Banner Baywood Medical Center in Mesa says [peak] flu season is still a few weeks away. She said most people are coming down with respiratory infections or a type of stomach virus which they mistake for the flu.

full article available at:
http://www.kvue.com/news/health/185757972.html

~
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #40
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Yep "cruise ship disease".......... its Global and has gone through Sydney a few times lately. A lot of cruise ships dock in Sydney. The Oriana had a bad one .... below
http://news.sky.com/story/1024825/he...us-hits-750000
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
local, visit