Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
That's the downside, (or... is it?), of holiday decorating. It limits your ability to clean where you decorate. 7 Rubbermaid bins - I'm in awe! We only have one but I think we're going to end up with an overflow next year. I need to buy some hanging ornaments next Christmas - running a bit short.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I know Im a little over the top...Working for Pier1 Imports doesn't help the situation either.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
That's the downside, (or... is it?), of holiday decorating. It limits your ability to clean where you decorate. 7 Rubbermaid bins - I'm in awe! We only have one but I think we're going to end up with an overflow next year. I need to buy some hanging ornaments next Christmas - running a bit short.
Hey Sue, now is the time to grab ornaments. I know ours are 75% off. Keep your eyes peeled when you are out. They're all on clearance. We had a lot left over this year. I buy everything on sale. I wait and watch....

I had crappy Christmas's as a child, now Im just a big kid enjoying it. My downfall is that I love to decorate, I have a design background. That's why I have this job at Pier1. It's just a hobby job, I spend my days decorating and staging the most beautiful things....and they pay me to do it. Access to first pick on sales and clearance is nice especially with my added discount. . I don't even come close to breaking even, It's just to support my Pier1 habit as DH says.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Believe me - I'd grab them if I had the cash! Vet bills took care of that this year.

Your job sounds like what I'd love to do in a garden center - stage displays & tend to potted babies until they go to a new home...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,037 Times in 4,413 Posts
Quote:
I don't even come close to breaking even, It's just to support my Pier1 habit as DH says.
One of my DD's worked for Coach, another modeled for Bebe. Not a penny was brought home. lol
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Thanks, AG. I think I feel a little better today, although I this cough is a killer. At least my throat seems to be hurting less. I never did have the nausea or vomiting. I wonder if that's the difference between the A and B strains?

As far as decorations go, I have 2 Rubbermaid bins just for ornaments -- I have about 4 of the cardboard 24-pack bases that IBC Root Beer bottles came in and put the really breakable or antique ornaments in those, then stack them in the rubbermaid bins and put the unbreakable ornaments on top and around the sides -- and everything is individually wrapped in tissue. The ornaments are the most labor-intensive Christmas job here. Then I've got about 5 more bins full of stuff, most of which I didn't even put out this year. That's after downsizing when we moved 2 years ago! Of course, then we had outdoor decorations, too.

I think I might purge even more this year -- if I'm not going to put stuff out, there's no point in keeping it. I'm really feeling the "urge to purge" this winter, with all of our household decorations and crap, not just Christmas and holiday decor. When I'm actually considering getting rid of books, you know I'm serious.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

BOOKS???

Dear Gawd - we needs us an intervention.
Feather (01-07-2013), Thymeless (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #33
occupant
Infosponge

We went from the tree box, plus the unused Charlie Brown tree box( I decorate it with all types of pears and have an adorable Partridge I sit at the bottom branches) and 7 storage tubs down to 4 tubs. So got rid of 3 tubs full. Just chucked the stuff. I basically decorate the tree with birdies now so out went the bulbs, etc.
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #34
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,866 Posts
I have three Rubbermaid totes. Much of my stuff was given to me when we didn't have a pot to pee in. I haven't put much of it out for years, so in the spring I'm going to sort through it, and donate any decent stuff to the local women's/children's shelter.

I'd like to buy a bit more, but it's hard to fill my taste in this town. A ffew nice things in English Butler, but my other local choices are Sears, Walmart, and Canadian Tire.

By the way...looks like we should all be buying Rubbermaid stock.

Tags
cleaning, holiday