Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,131 Posts
Default H5N1 and H7N9 Comparison Discussion

There has been some discussion of how the new H7N9 is similar to how H5N1 came onto the scene.

I thought a discussion thread about the differences/similarities would be interesting.

A couple of thoughts to get started.

Similarities:
Both strains were primarliy avian, and then branched out to be able to infect mamals.

Both seem to have somewhat limited H-H transmission, although its quite early in the game for H7N9.

Both seemed to have arisen in China (if my H5N1 history is incorrect here, please let me know.

Differences:
H5N1 was highly pathogenic in birds, leaving large poultry die-offs in its wake. Sort of a canary in the coal mine. H7N9 has been detected in pigeons, but so far has proved to be asymptomatic in birds.

H7N9 seems to have a bigger intial push into humans, with a lot of cases in a relatively small geographic area. My memory of H5N1 is more of spot fires popping up over larger areas.

Please feel free to hop in and add/refute/clarify/etc.

Thanks!
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Dietrich
Niche player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
H7N9 seems to have a bigger intial push into humans, with a lot of cases in a relatively small geographic area. My memory of H5N1 is more of spot fires popping up over larger areas.
The first case of high path H5N1 in a human was in 1997 (hong kong). In 2003, there were 4 confirmed cases of H5N1. In 2004, there were another 40 cases. So it took 8 years to accumulate 45 cases. Very slow. Additionally, H5N1 was killing birds in large numbers for years (from 2002 on) before there were even 10 human cases.

With H7N9, the first confirmed case was around February of this year, and we now already have 28 confirmed cases. China reported 3 or 4 cases per day over the last 4 days.

Profiles look very different.
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dietrich For This Useful Post:
Exodia (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,131 Posts
Thank you Diethrich, that is exactly the type of discussion I wanted to have. Appreciate the H5N1 re-cap
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
Dietrich (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Interesting discussion. Thanks to you both.
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
H5N1 has a %50+ CFR. Too early to tell about H7N9 but it's significant.

It seems both can lead to multi-organ failure - a pretty rare complication in seasonal strains.

Tags
comparison, discussion, h5n1, h7n9