Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,221 Posts
Arrow What we cleaned today

I've been a real slug lately. Well, actually, I'm always a slug about cleaning. Today was endless laundry day. This is a major project when you don't have a dryer. From the last major laundry day, clean clothes were still hanging on the racks in the house. They hold about 4-5 loads of laundry max. That all had to be taken down, folded, and put away. Some things will still need ironing, but I didn't get to that today. Then I had the new laundry to hang up. If you don't hang it up well, not as much will fit, and then I am stuck with a laundry jam.

I also really needed to clean my CPAP. It is supposed to be cleaned weekly...ya...well... I cleaned it today. I can't remember the last time I cleaned it, so I guess it was time. The thing with cleaning it, is that the bathroom needs to be cleaned first. DH is supposed to keep that bathroom cleaned. So, I cleaned the bathroom...twice, because it was so filthy. DH does not see filth, and so it never gets done, regardless of what agreements we have about it. At least I got him to do some vacuuming for me yesterday while I did the grocery shopping.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I did some massive cleaning yesterday. I haven't been able to do anything with DD being so sick, and wanting me by her side 24/7. So I had a lot to do. I vacuumed the whole house, mopped all the floors with a bleach solution, processed about 6 loads of laundry, cleaned cat boxes, took out all the different garbages, cleaned the garbage cans with a bleach solution, flipped mattresses, put on new bedding, cleaned 3 bathrooms, cooked dinner, and made beef jerky. The sad part is that really only scratched the surface of what needs to be done around here. If I didn't have to work, this house would look nice, but basically I am the only one doing anything around here. It is too much work for just one person. I did try asking DH to vacuum upstairs last week. He did a rotten job, and I had to revacuum again.

Calorie Counter
Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,082 Times in 642 Posts
Just my clock..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
That's a LOT of work Mouse. Considering you were recently quite ill & your daughter has been & you're working crazy hours... I get tired just thinking about your schedule.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Wojapi
Member Level 4

Nothing lke the first bright day of spring to show all of my cleaning deficiencies...dunno whether to shovel off the coffee table or just plant my peas on it........

Wojapi, victim of crap-blindness
Wojapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
Mouse, you did more in one day than I do in a week. I don't know how you do it.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Mouse you really should have extra help. Perhaps if you adjust your thinking to how much is your time worth when you go to work you could well manage once a month for heavy cleaning and vacuuming and whatever. Perhaps twice a month if you see it is affordable. You must rest and care for your health because if you go down ill you will be a pay loss. That is possibly more expensive to the family than extra help.
The same with the washing and drying. I first wonder if you need to wash only on one day for a reason? Perhaps do one load at a time so you have more of a rotation. Or perhaps better still I am sure you should be able to purchase a dryer to save your valuable time and health again.
I am sure you have thought of this. Then like we women always do decide we should just do it ourselves. Wrong thinking on the part of we women.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,418 Times in 2,711 Posts
Everyday get dressed to your lace up shoes.

Empty and clean your sink everyday.

Fly Lady
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

For many, the dressing part is important - especially if you're tending to depression, apathy... etc. I'm known for wearing the weirdest combination of clothing so that part doesn't resonate with me. But the sink? Oh yeah! Every night as part of our 'clean up the dishes/kitchen after supper' routine, SO wipes down the stove top while I'm drying what he's washed. Once he's done with that & the kitchen is clear, I wipe down the counters with a pretty smelling disinfectant & finish by doing out the sink & taps. It's a tiny little thing but there's something abhout a shiny sink...
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,320 Times in 502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
Mouse you really should have extra help. Perhaps if you adjust your thinking to how much is your time worth when you go to work you could well manage once a month for heavy cleaning and vacuuming and whatever. Perhaps twice a month if you see it is affordable. You must rest and care for your health because if you go down ill you will be a pay loss. That is possibly more expensive to the family than extra help.
The same with the washing and drying. I first wonder if you need to wash only on one day for a reason? Perhaps do one load at a time so you have more of a rotation. Or perhaps better still I am sure you should be able to purchase a dryer to save your valuable time and health again.
I am sure you have thought of this. Then like we women always do decide we should just do it ourselves. Wrong thinking on the part of we women.
I discovered one thing when I was working fulltime and my husband was at home. He's a horrible housewife! But honestly, I didn't have the time or energy to do career, housework and ministry stuff so I cut back on the major housecleaning. Husband and son straightened the house and did their own laundry but deep cleaning waited till I had the time and energy. We didn't die but it was annoying. However your health, both mental and physical, is more important than a sparkling house. A dryer is a great idea! I washed my clothes yesterday but returned home late so figured I'd bring the laundry in today...it rained all night and is still raining...sigh.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

About 75% of the filth in our house is produced by our animals. We have 8 cats and a large dog. I'm leaving off the aquarium in my musings. Dog and DH track in a lot of dirt from the back yard. All of the animals shed a lot. The cats puke and pee around the house, especially in winter. In summer the problem cats are ejected outside, but we have 5-6 months of winter here.

The laundry is a problem because I can't wash when people are sleeping. We have mostly cotton clothing, which means it shrinks in a dryer. DH hates anything that's been in the dryer. A dryer sucks up major electricity, which is very expensive here. I used to have one, and it went belly up in under 5 years. Clothing needs 2 days to dry hung on racks in the house. That means I can hang 3-4 loads of laundry on my racks to dry. On a laundry day, the dry stuff comes down, gets folded, and some gets ironed. Then I fill up the racks again with new laundry. DD works the early shift, DH works 3 rotating shifts, and I work the night shift. It means that I have to get lucky to be able to do laundry so as not to wake up anyone, and then I go for it full tilt. BTW, the same thing applies to vacuuming, or anything else that makes noise.

Calorie Counter

Last edited by Mousehound; 04-02-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,418 Times in 2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
For many, the dressing part is important - especially if you're tending to depression, apathy... etc.

I think that is where Fly Lady was going with it.

My own Mother was that way. Lay around in sleeping clothing and slippers all day.

In my own self when I telework, I always work more and better if I get up and at least dress in shirt, jeans, shoes, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I may have given the impression that I slop around in scruffies. I find I can't; not during the day. Heck, even sweat pants are something I only wear in the evening. I have a couple of combinations of pants/shirts I wear cleaning around the house - they've almost evolved into 'uniforms' & I certainly have created cleaning 'uniforms' for work outside the house.

I rarely wear slippers in the house - tens to stick to socks... unless I'm cleaning. Something about slipping something on my feet is condusive to getting the job done more quickly.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,701 Posts
Because we have daily outdoor chores we always get fully dressed. By evening though, you can bet that I will dress down to something very comfortable. Shoes...well, if I can go without I will at least inside unless I have a client and then its all business.

Today the tiled floors in my dad's bathroom, the guest bath and the front hall got a good scrubbing. Everything was moved out of the area first so I could get to the walls and they got a good sweeping. Next came the toilets and because I was doing the floors I got to be generously sloppy about the affair. I have a long handled floor scrub brush with bristles that fan outward so you can get right into the corners. So after an initial mopping to get the floor wet it got a deep scrubbing and then a fresh mop rinse. They look so much better!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Went through half of my preps today, sifting out old stuff. Rearranged my kitchen cabinets, and cleaned them. I had to stop because the garbage can was full (ours are small). I also vacuumed the whole house, washed and hung up 4 loads of laundry, aired the house, brought the glass and paper to the recycling bins, cleaned the cat boxes, cooked dinner, and had a shower. This was all done without sleep. I've been awake 24 hours now.

Calorie Counter
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

That is a MOUNTAIN of work, especially on no sleep.

More than I'd attempt in a day, unless someone had a gun to my head or I was 'working off a mad'.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
Dang Mouse, just reading all of that tired me out. So far this week we have vacuumed the hall and living room. DH mopped the kitchen and took one of the sets of portable grab bars to the basement. I have my walker sitting in the kitchen by the basement door to go down stairs also. Misty can now get to her hiding spot in the bottom of the china hutch. Plus I put all of her toys in a basket and it's on the floor next to her bed. She couldn't get baby out of the basket last night so she pulled her harness off a table and drug it around instead. Baby is a felt teaser that she carries and cries over as she walks through the house. All of the dishes are soaking in hot water in the kitchen sink. I put all of the bottles in bags and next to the front door so we remember to take them to the store. All that took two days at my top speed.

Tags
cleaned, today