Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Arcade and Computer Games

Arcade and Computer Games Discuss our Arcade and your favorite video and computer games here.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Kassy
Eurothrash

Default World of tanks

World of tanks

http://worldoftanks.com/

This game is fun and it's free.

You do need a good connection and a computer that can store some 4000 MB for the interface but if you have that there's a great game.

It's all about tanks.

You get placed into a 15 tank team fighting another one. Matchmaking depends on your own tank.

Battles are great fun. You earn points for damage, kills, spotting tanks.

Over battles you will improve your crew (from 50% to a 100% then you can train special skills) and with the points (XP and Credits) you can research tank modules. Better engine , better gun, better radio, better tracks etc and that unlocks the next tier tank.

You start out with a selection of light tanks (Early WW2 models) from USA, GB, Germany, Russia and France. Pick one and see how it works.

The first battles are cruel because the fastest way to learn is to drive up to road to see where you meet the enemy. In the first few battles you'll get slaughtered there. There are more intelligent learning curves but i did it my way.

Play a number of battles and XP will add up.

Check out the upgrade paths to see which tank you fance.

Light tanks/dedicated scouts: starting tanks or higher tier light tanks. The dedicated scouts get dropped in high tier battles. Scout, don't fight T4 tanks. You will light up tanks on the map which will give artillary opportunity to shoot them.

Medium tanks and Heavy tanks. Main course really. These are the warriors. Medium gets to the battle first while the heavy tanks will chime in later.

Many choices depending on the nation you pick (you can mix tanks from all nations but with the starter tank you unlock higher models from THAT nation).

I run around in a Churchill III and my brother mentioned it looked like one of the tank models i had when we were young so maybe that's why i had to get it).

Rest of collection: Vickers british light tank, free french slot, free russia spot, USA TIE-6 or something which was a Christmas gift from the game company.

And to more classes.

There are also Tank Killers. They are like tanks but with a fixed huge gun. Love playing these. Get to snipe spot and shoot the crap out of opposition.

Then there are SPG, self propelled guns. They are great fun too. This is the artillery and it works differently.

Make sure you have a line to the enemy that's free ~ i'd been shooting but the shells didn't hit, zoomed out and the house i was hiding behing to pieces was shot to bits...ah. It has this great view & with position you can really damage those slow huge tanks.

As a bonus you get put into battle with tanks of a much higher tier which is great. Best trick is to get a platoon mate with a dedicated scout.

You get put into battles many tiers up so you get to see (and destroy) some great tanks. Many historical models, but there's also prototypes in the game that were never produced.

Gameplay is serverbased so in the link you have to chose a client.

I'm on the Euro server so i can't play vs people on the US server (would need the other client to play. It's possible, not sure of repercussions for gameplay).

Here's a clip of a crap russian tank killing a Cromwell. It's not the ideal method but it's funny:

There are probably much better replay on YouTube.

If any TBM member is into the game & on the Euroserver feel free to PM me.

We can Platoon.

I had tons of fun with this. In early sandbox games there are idiots that shoot at their own team, ignore them if you can.

Chat on euroserver is fun too.

Slowly learning to see what is russian and polish.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

I play this game too, but I am on the SEA server. Got a couple of mates who play too and we normally platoon up if we are on at the same time.

I love the little T50 especially drifting at high speed down hills and around corners

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,130 Posts
Wow, thanks jacksmith, some helpful info there.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,546 Times in 4,606 Posts
zap
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
lol..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Kassy
Eurothrash

Did he put in a link or something?

Just wondering...the info he posted was all general and true and while this is not the most logical way to get too what it might have been genuine.

He is listed as a player on the NA server.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Kassy
Eurothrash

Nice bump anyway. I'm having a great time with the game. The great thing is that it is easy to get started but quite difficult to become really good at.

In tier one you just have 1 tank per nation to teach you the very basics. Tier two introduces different vehicles like tank destroyers, arty (SPG or self propelled guns).

Later on the tanks will diverge into scout light tanks, general light tanks, medium tanks and the heavy tanks.

The trick is to remember you are playing people (if i remember that i hate losing more) and you should play the virual tank like you're really in it yourself. Survival comes first. After that deal out damage & one team will run out of tanks.

~In the 15 vs 15 randoms you can get unlucky with the team. The maps will have 3 routes so 3 places where the battles could be but sometimes most of the team goes one way. I went the other way and killed some of their heavy tanks while they killed my two support tanks.

When the skirmish was over i checked the minimap to see where the rest of the team was and the other 12 were dead too... that was 5 minutes in or so. Game was lost but the endgame was fun.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Kassy
Eurothrash

Some videos

Very atypical but hilarious battle at Malanovka. Usually driving the field will get you killed, here they do it in a different way.

It's a Team Company battle so the whole team is coordinated using TeamSpeak 3 or something like that. It's very different from the randoms.

Random battle with a good player & the M18 Hellcat

Dutch team company trolling a TC battle with the mother of all lemming trains.

Tags
tanks, world