Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,143 Posts
Default What is wrong with my toilet?

Landlord had some major work done on the water lines up on street level. New line and meter to the townhouse next door. New line to my house. New fire hydrant across from his house on the other side of me. We have great water pressure now! Also, a fair amount of sand got into the lines and ended up down here as I am on the lowest level. Yesterday they cleaned the filter on the kitchen faucet, took the hoses off the washer in the basement and flushed those and today I have to get a new faucet thing on the bathroom sink because the cold water tap is only dribbling.

So i get up this morning and the toilet is running and won't stop. Jiggling the handle doesn't work. It's driving me insane. Any hints? Thanks!
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
drummagick

Looked inside. Water leaking out of the *inlet valve?* thingie.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,552 Times in 2,067 Posts
I'm guessing that some sand in the bottom of the tank is not letting the flapper valve seal completely.

"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

There's probably sand in your flush valve seal. Change it or clean it. You might as well change your flapper valve while you're at it...
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Until you get it fixed, don't forget to turn off the tap for the water line running into your toilet. You'll be amazed at how much water that leak will use, and horrified if you're the one who will be paying the bill.

Just turn the tap back on when you're ready to flush each time to let the tank refill. Then turn it back off. A hassle but better than a $$$$ bill next month.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,711 Posts
Likely the flapper got damaged from all of that sand.

They are cheap enough to replace yourself. Amazon
Sometime the seat (where the flapper sits) also get damaged by sand and grip. Hard to replace. You have to separate the two pieces of the toilet.

You could run a thick glob of Vaseline on the flapper and seat. At least it will stop running.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
drummagick

He tightened something up and it quit leaking.

The cold water faucet in the bathroom sink wasn't so easy. Since they turned the water back on yesterday, the cold water tap only gave out a trickle. One of the workers said the faucet thingie would need to be replaced. So the landlord replaced it, still only a trickle. Turns out a small rock had made it's way into the system and was mostly blocking a line downstairs by the shut off valve. Landlord and his son just spent about 2 hours over here fiddling with everything.

And I have a nice, new faucet thingie on the bathroom sink. The old one was old and ugly. Yay!

Thanks everyone!

Tags
toilet, wrong