Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s

He directly contravened the school board's 'No Zero' policy, saying he couldn't in good conscinece give marks to kids to whom he'd given every chance to turn in past due assignments, etc. He was suspended. Reader comments overwhelmingly support this teacher's position - making reference to breeding snowflakes, bubblewrap kids, etc.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story...-sheppard.html
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,772 Times in 853 Posts
So now we are teaching kids that there are no consequences for their actions, or in this case, inaction. One step further for the nanny state.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

I don't know why for sure, but this quote came to mind: "Let them eat cake"
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

They won't be able to afford cake.

Many provinces have similar policies, carefully worded so it's not obvious. 'Education' is a joke. If my kids were Very Smalls, no way in hell they'd be going to public schools.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Samen
unregistered

I bet the 1 million engineers rolling out of China colleges every year actually know math, how to read, something on engineering and actually had to pas K12 with good honest grades.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Probably, they sure as hell don't have to here. My step daughter graduated high school here 5 years ago with a 'body of knowledge' I had coming out of eighth grade - which is the last of our primary years.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,920 Posts
You have to wonder if our current nanny states, and our medical systems, are saving people who would have been weeded out of the gene pool in previous generations. I hate to call humans "substandard", but that's the long and short of it. In the caveman days, someone who was too stupid to pour piss out of a boot even when told how would be eaten by a sabertooth tiger. In medieval times, if you weren't smart enough to know that animals die when kept in the wrong conditions, you starved to death.

But now we have people too dumb to comprehend that "crunchberries" are not real fruit. Too dumb to know that potatoes grow in the ground and that "coffee grounds" aren't real dirt and that if you walk out into the road without looking, you might get hit by a car. (Because if you ARE hit by a car, you can sue everybody in sight. )
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,401 Times in 2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
But now we have people too dumb to comprehend that "crunchberries" are not real fruit.
Wait, what? My Dr said to increase fruit intake, so I switched from Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch to Crunch Berries. Maybe if I go to OOPS! All Berries...
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.

Last edited by Exodia; 06-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,401 Times in 2,014 Posts
After getting some 0s for uncompleted assignments, I showed my kids mathematically how hard it is to recover from zeros. They went away for the most part. But then again my kids grow up in a house and community that values education.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
Wait, what? My Dr said to increase fruit intake, so I switched from Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch to Crunch Berries. Maybe if I go to OOPS! All Berries...
Reasonable Consumer Would Know "Crunchberries" Are Not Real, Judge Rules
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
I do keep wondering what the teachers and admins expect the kids to NEED from education.

Do you need to do math in your head? Or is it enough to know how to do it on a calculator?
Do you need to know how to write a full sentence? Is it enuff 2 no 2 tx?
Why is doing homework even worthwhile? At most jobs, you do not take work home. So, should students only have assignments that are done right there in class?

I know the idea that growing taters or 'maters or chickens for eggs is a good thought but will it matter to most if they can't do that? It has not mattered in my lifetime.

I know I learned a lot of 'stuff' in school that never helped me at my fast food jobs, didn't do much for me at my office jobs, was totally useless in using a computer at my banking job and really only helped me in going further in college to get more education.

I just wonder how much is us old fashioned 'do it like we did it' thoughts vs the new reality and how many teachers and admins in schools think...

I mean, how many of us HAD to learn to shoe a horse? Why not....our grandpas did.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
You have to wonder if our current nanny states, and our medical systems, are saving people who would have been weeded out of the gene pool in previous generations. I hate to call humans "substandard", but that's the long and short of it. In the caveman days, someone who was too stupid to pour piss out of a boot even when told how would be eaten by a sabertooth tiger. In medieval times, if you weren't smart enough to know that animals die when kept in the wrong conditions, you starved to death.

But now we have people too dumb to comprehend that "crunchberries" are not real fruit. Too dumb to know that potatoes grow in the ground and that "coffee grounds" aren't real dirt and that if you walk out into the road without looking, you might get hit by a car. (Because if you ARE hit by a car, you can sue everybody in sight. )
I've wondered the same as you but I do also understand that then we are talking eugenics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics and sadly the nazis made it 'wrong' to think.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Edmonton trustee wants 'no-zero' marking policy reviewed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...s-trustee.html

No matter what we decide is an important body of knowledge for children to learn, it's equally if not more important to teach them that in life there ARE deadlines, there IS accountability, there HAVE to be some standards to be met.

I don't want my lawyer 'having tried hard' to learn Constitutional lawyer if that's his practice, I want my firefighter to do better than "could ALMOST carry 150 lbs. 100 feet'.

We've created a generation that's coddled in the wrong ways for the wrong reasons. And if it doesn't start at home, it sure as hell does in the schools.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,672 Posts
More Idiotocracy and "everyone get a trophy".

I see it now at work. Under performers get angry when high achievers get bonuses and raises.

I worked at a job where they began a program where everyone got the same bonus and raise. Easy on HR and management. Everyone was miffed but no one got really p*ssed off. No unpleasantness to deal with.

They wondered why all of the high achievers left in 18-24 months.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Kassy
Eurothrash

But that will hurt on the long term so that will be taken care of by the market somehow.

The problem with the schools is that they probably have a different incentive.

I think it's proper to grade 0 if they turn in zero. It's what you'll get in real life so it makes no sense to exclude that froms the schooling program.

Here the schools get paid more when more students graduate.

Recently there have been some scandels were a number of seriously under par students did get their diploma's without meeting the requirements.

That happened in big community colleges (the type just below universities i'm not sure if it's the right translation).

The highschools have more or less the same incentive. Students final grades depend on the avarege of the score from school tests + score from national tests. So if your students are weak you organize easier tests to ensure they have an advantage.

You could compensate anything with anything but they changed the rules with minimal grades and they decreased the portion of imput from the school tests. They fear that a lot more kids will fail.

The problem is schools having a financial incentive to sacrifice quality of teaching to quantity output.

They should be rewarded for delivering the right kind of quality.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Dreamweaver
Senior Level 3

Not allowing zero's is a trend that is taking place in most school districts. Here in North Texas, Dallas included, just about all have this policy. Their reasoning is it's hard to recover from zeros and the teacher is not doing their job if they are giving out zeros. Teachers responsibility to see that the student does most of the work assigned.
Undeniable Fact #1: The government cannot give you anything it doesn't take from someone else.
Undeniable Fact #2: When claiming the government gives you rights, see Undeniable Fact #1.
Dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Is the teacher supposed to go to each student's home every night, duct tape him/her to the chair, wrap their hand over the student's, and force him/her to do the homework or write the paper? Because that's what it would take in some instances. Why bother doing the work, the kids figure, when everyone will pass anyway? Learning for its own sake is just not part of their worldview.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default 2nd teacher facing discipline for giving students zeros

Another one - same school - taking a stand. And judging by the looks of him, he's got a lot more at stake:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...iscipline.html
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,672 Posts
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...18-213828.html

Embattled Edmonton teacher can give zeros at new gig

EDMONTON – While still facing termination from his post at Ross Sheppard High School, the so-called zero hero Lynden Dorval will be returning to the classroom this October.

The physics teacher— who was suspended last spring for giving students zeroes on assignments — accepted a new post Tuesday at Tempo School, a private kindergarten to Grade 12 school.

"I took the job, yup," Dorval said proudly when reached at his home Tuesday evening "The headmaster called me yesterday at home and mentioned they were looking for an advanced placement physics teacher, so I said yes.”

Dorval toured the school with Headmaster Peter Mitchell and was impressed by the academically-oriented school.

"It was neat to be back in a school again, for sure," he said. "They have 30-some classrooms and some good science labs. They give zeroes."

Come late October, Dorval will have a part-time position teaching physics to smaller classes of roughly 20 Grade 11 and 12 students. He said the post is an ideal way to supplement his pension while still educating youth.

"It was the first offer, but it was also what I was looking for," said Dorval. “It's teaching some very bright students some very high-level physics, which will be both challenging and interesting at the same time."

Dorval received an official letter of termination from the Edmonton Public School Board on Sept. 14 for insubordination.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,483 Times in 2,486 Posts

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #20
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,618 Times in 949 Posts
Unfreakingbelievable. When our son's 5th grade teacher, who is awesome, gives him a 1 on the 1 through 4 scale I thank her for it. Our son has ADHD inattentive type, but that is no excuse for doing shoddy work. If she didn't do this, how would he know he was doing a crappy job? He is getting the message and those occasional 1s are becoming much less common, as are 2s.

How are these kids going to do when they get in the workplace and find out that the real world is not a safe, cushy, nurturing environment? They are going to be ground up like wheat in a grist mill. Talk about sink or swim. If I hired a new lawyer that had this sort of attitude, they'd have one week to get it in gear or be sent packing.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysiphus For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (05-16-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
lilly

My german language teacher gave me a passing grade if I didn't take German for a second year. LOL. You didn't get credits if you didn't take it for two years. A nice solution for an indifferent student of German. I looked like a Heidie of the mountains with long braids, so as a German he liked me.

Since I moved to Switzerland as an adult, a second year would have been useful. So my indiffernce cost me.

I only got high grades for those studies I found of interest. A lot of kids slide by. I know I did. Luckily my teachers liked me so I got by.I wasn't a self starter, I was a lazy student, but I never failed grades.

I would hate to be a teacher in todays world. At least in a public school.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #22
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

My kid gets zeros I blame the kid I make them responsible for getting the make up work if they can and make them do it .... its like pulling teeth but they gotta learn some time they cant slack off

Tags
edmonton, giving, suspended, teacher