Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default Homemade Cleaners

Some homemade, green cleaners for your home.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...b0z11zphe.aspx

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
Do you think vinegar will get the hard water spots off the shower?

I also need something to clean and shine up the stainless steel sink.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,037 Times in 4,413 Posts
Feather, try Mr Clean Magic Erasers. My glass shower doors were spotted with calcium really badly, and I tried everything to get them clean. It took a little elbow grease but the Magic Erasers were the only thing that removed the spots.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
I was thinking about those. If I get the piece that they snap on to I may get better grip and a cleaner wall.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Blue Gecko had/has a recipe for making a great cleaner. Of course my memory maybe confusing this with Goatlady. One or the other of them anyway.

I use an SOS pad on the stainless steel sinks. It has no horrible smell and it is easy and fits in the kinky spots near the drain. Use only a dab of water, don't get it soaked.

Last edited by Sarrah; 02-12-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Sarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarrah For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-12-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
LizB
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
Do you think vinegar will get the hard water spots off the shower?
From some random site I picked up a cleaning solution someone developed afer much experimenting, that works wonders. For a quart bottle - half white vinegar, half bottled lemon juice, 1/4 cup liquid detergent (Dawn).

I have a smaller spray bottle and just eyeballed proportionate amounts, this isn't exact chemistry.

Wow.

First I tried it on the discolored calcium buildup around the sink drain from before I moved into this house, that I have tried "everything" on including lime-away with little effect. It dissolved and got me back to pure sink surface. Slowly. I'd soak a paper towel in the mixture, let it sit on the calcium buildup a while, come back, rub it, soak it again, day after day once or twice a day when I was in the bathroom anyway. Took a month (it was a huge thick buildup), but it all went away!

So I cheerfully did the same in the shower - soak a sponge and slowly scrub the calcium stains, for stubborn parts soak a paper towel and let it sit on the stain a while then scrub. I thought my sink and shower were damaged - nope just needed this amazing home remedy non-toxic cleaner.

My stuff is acrylic. I have no idea what effect on stainless - maybe test it on the outside of a stainless cooking pot?
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LizB For This Useful Post:
Catbird (10-26-2014), D. Gale (10-25-2014), flourbug (10-25-2014), NowVoyager (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
Blue Gecko had/has a recipe for making a great cleaner. Of course my memory maybe confusing this with Goatlady. One or the other of them anyway.

I use an SOS pad on the stainless steel sinks. It has no horrible smell and it is easy and fits in the kinky spots near the drain. Use only a dab of water, don't get it soaked.

I wonder how I missed this. My favorite all purpose cleaner for greasy things is 1/4 cup Biz laundry additive with 1/4 cup Simple Green dissolved in a liter spray bottle filled with hot water. It has a very low EPA rating (1- breathing the mist may be irritating) and works like a charm on organic and oily messes.

It also makes an awesome deskunking solution.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Catbird (10-26-2014), spinnerholic (10-26-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Wojapi
Member Level 4

Cash and Carry now has cleaning vinegar, 6 percent instead of 5....

--Mother Teresa
Wojapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,295 Times in 368 Posts
Many thanks, BG! I was trying to remember the proportions for weeks now and was going to post and ask again. then, today, presto, here it is!

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,701 Posts
Sometimes I make it weaker or stronger. You'll get a feel for what you need. Just be sure to shake it well enough to get all the Biz dissolved or it will clog your sprayer.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizB View Post
From some random site I picked up a cleaning solution someone developed afer much experimenting, that works wonders. For a quart bottle - half white vinegar, half bottled lemon juice, 1/4 cup liquid detergent (Dawn).

I have a smaller spray bottle and just eyeballed proportionate amounts, this isn't exact chemistry.

Wow.

First I tried it on the discolored calcium buildup around the sink drain from before I moved into this house, that I have tried "everything" on including lime-away with little effect. It dissolved and got me back to pure sink surface. Slowly. I'd soak a paper towel in the mixture, let it sit on the calcium buildup a while, come back, rub it, soak it again, day after day once or twice a day when I was in the bathroom anyway. Took a month (it was a huge thick buildup), but it all went away!

So I cheerfully did the same in the shower - soak a sponge and slowly scrub the calcium stains, for stubborn parts soak a paper towel and let it sit on the stain a while then scrub. I thought my sink and shower were damaged - nope just needed this amazing home remedy non-toxic cleaner.

My stuff is acrylic. I have no idea what effect on stainless - maybe test it on the outside of a stainless cooking pot?

There are very few commercial cleaning products that are safe for me to have in the house so I make my own.

I've been using this formula for a while now and I agree, it's awesome. It's also cheap, easy to make and to use. If you add more Dawn, it makes the mixture viscus enough that it will stay in place so something can soak for awhile. I keep the heavier version in a cheap, plastic ketchup-type of squeeze bottle. Just be sure to shake it up well before using it.

Thanks for your tip bg. I'm going to have to check Biz out and see if it might be safe. If so, your idea sounds like it would make a super-duper cleaner for tough places.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
Cactus Az

Awhile ago I found liquid Biz. I bought all I could find. Good thing,I haven`t seen it since. There is always at least one bottle of B&SG under my sink. Love that stuff.

Tags
cleaners, homemade