Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 3,888 Times in 1,678 Posts
Default Freezer Tip

What a great idea!

http://shareably.net/quarter-cup-fre...mpaign =diycp

Emergencies are unpredictable. In this chaotic and stressful time, it pays off to have some practical knowledge on hand.
Thanks to Ms. Sheila Pulanco Russell from Lumberton, North Carolina, we all can feel a little safer with this practical survival tip she shared.
Simply titled “The One Cup Tip,”*the three main elements are a quarter, a cup of water, and a freezer.

Directions:
Place a cup of water in your freezer.
Freeze the water until it is solid, and then put a quarter on top of the frozen water and return it to your freezer.
Leave it in your freezer.
What does this tip accomplish?
It helps you determine whether or not your food has gone bad, or whether it refroze or stayed frozen while you were away.
For instance, if you return after you have been evacuated and find that the frozen water has melted and the quarter has fallen to the bottom of the cup, you now know that all the food has defrosted and it should be thrown out.
However, if the quarter is either on the top of the frozen cup or in the middle of the cup, then your food may still be okay. The top tells you that the freezer was still in tact the whole time – the middle tells you that your food might have defrosted, but later refrosted when electricity returned.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (11-04-2016), CajunSunshine (11-05-2016), Exodia (11-04-2016), Feather (11-04-2016), flourbug (11-04-2016), NowVoyager (11-04-2016), Ter (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,899 Times in 663 Posts
This is a very useful tip for us here because we get a lot of power cuts.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,013 Posts
That's a nice easy tool to get a general idea of what has happened in the freezer.

My scientist side will say it's more complicated than that. The mass of the item and the specific heat of the material are what will determine if it thaws or not.

Specific heat: The specific heat is the amount of heat per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius. The specific heat of ice is about 2 kJ/kg*K.

At the link there are specific heats listed for many foods (frozen and unfrozen). Since food typically has a lot of water in it, the values tend to be close to that of ice, but for things like meat/cheeses/eggs they can be higher,some requiring 50% more heat than water to change their temperature 1 degree.

http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/...20Alimenti.pdf
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,321 Times in 2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
That's a nice easy tool to get a general idea of what has happened in the freezer.

My scientist side will say it's more complicated than that. The mass of the item and the specific heat of the material are what will determine if it thaws or not.

Specific heat: The specific heat is the amount of heat per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius. The specific heat of ice is about 2 kJ/kg*K.

Imprecise.

2.05 kJ/kg-K to 2.108 kJ/kg-K depending on contaminants.

But nothing like experimentation to see if this works. I am going to try it this weekend.

But seriously, the best advice having watched and worried about a freezer during a hurricane is to fill it up all the empty space as much as you can with containers of water. You have to be perceptive enough in advance to get the water frozen hard before the power goes.

A full freezer, with airflow around everything, runs more efficiently anyway. If nothing else you always have a large chunk of ice for a punch bowl, or an Igloo water cask, all the time.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Imprecise.

2.05 kJ/kg-K to 2.108 kJ/kg-K depending on contaminants.
Note I said about...

Don't get me started on the difference between precision and accuracy.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,321 Times in 2,667 Posts
Calm down, just kidding around on my day off.

I am in my relaxed persona.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,821 Posts
Another freezer tip...

If you live somewhere with a cold winter, keep your freezer in an unheated, outdoor shed or garage. Electricity savings, and power outages tend to occur during the colder months due to storms. If it is freezing or below, no fear of loss.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb. For This Useful Post:
Feather (11-05-2016)

Tags
freezer, tip