Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #101
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,643 Times in 2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Huh? Can somebody explain that to me? I thought the game was about two football teams who, having clawed their way to the top of their respective divisions or conferences or whatever... played for the Big One?
Spoken like a typical white person. Check your privilege .
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #102
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,054 Times in 911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Huh? Can somebody explain that to me? I thought the game was about two football teams who, having clawed their way to the top of their respective divisions or conferences or whatever... played for the Big One?
It's quite simple - the team that's 59% black beat the team that's 75% black.

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
Sysiphus (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #103
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toner View Post
It's quite simple - the team that's 59% black beat the team that's 75% black.
Exactly. It's like arguing that one NBA team is whiter than another. And what about the poor Asians and Jews? They are almost completely excluded.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #104
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Students wear white pins to remind them of white privilege

DOMINIC MANCINI - ASHFORD UNIVERSITY •FEBRUARY 14, 2017

Students at Elizabethtown College this month are wearing white pins in the shape of puzzle pieces to remind them of their white privilege.

The campaign was launched over the weekend by the Elizabethtown College Democrats, who say it aims to make students at the small and private liberal arts college in Pennsylvania more introspective about issues of race, especially in their predominantly white region of Lancaster County.

“Discussions about race are often perceived as being only open to people of color, but I think it is just as important for white people to partake in conversations about race,” Aileen Ida, president of the College Democrats, told The College Fix via email.

Ida said white people are continually allowing for a societal system of oppression to occur unless they work against it. The white puzzle piece pin represents racial struggles of all sorts.

“No matter how accepting someone is, that doesn’t stop them from being part of a system based on centuries of inequality,” she said, adding the campaign transcends politics.
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31183/
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (02-14-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #105
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

A student who filmed a college professor calling the election of Trump "an act of terrorism" and declared that those “leading the assault are among us” (targeting the conservative student) gets suspended and required to write an apology letter to return to school.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...-neil-cox.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
flourbug (02-16-2017), rryan (02-16-2017), Sonny (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #106
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Post 17 YO Groundbreakig Spokesperson Displays, (Age Related?), Ignorance - Twitterverse is Horrified

In case anyone has been living under a rock these past several months, Covergirl's new spokesperson is a 17 YO male model. He apparently messed up, although it's hinted that he was copying what his friend said & his answer - not sure on that.

His grievous sins? He referred to 'Africa' as a country. He joked about the chance of catching Ebola there. AFAIC - his biggest 'sin' is being 17 & arguably like most 17 YOs, his knowledge of geography, not to mention infectious disease is... rather limited.

But, the tweeters out there are having predictable hysterics, calling for his contract to be dropped, a boycott of Covergirl... I'm waiting for a lynch mob next. The kid screwed up, tried to apologize, handled the apology with the gaucheness not uncommon to that age... come folks, lighten up. He DID go to South Africa to LEARN about the country & no doubt, the continent:

***Covergirl's James Charles Says Africa Is A Country With Ebola, Sparks Boycott

Covergirl's first male ambassador is under fire after speaking out on his concerns about an upcoming trip to Africa.

James Charles, 17, who recently made headlines for being company's the first male spokesman, sent out a distasteful tweet Thursday morning insinuating he was fearful of getting Ebola by travelling to the continent. ..***

More at link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02..._14817972.html
Old 02-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #107
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,770 Times in 2,603 Posts
Re the Exodia Post

College Instructor ( Electing Trump an act of terrorism )

Because I like to see what they look like .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #108
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

If you are a teacher, apparently you surrender the 1st amendment.

Quote:
Teacher ‘reassigned’ after praising Trump action on immigration

FEBRUARY 21, 2017
BY VICTOR SKINNER

NAPLES, Fla. – An elementary school teacher in Collier County, Florida was reassigned to administrative duties over a Facebook post during the “Day Without Immigrants” protest last Thursday.

Parkside Elementary School computer lab instructor Veronica Fleming linked to a Chicago Tribune story about the nationwide protest and offered her take on the situation.

“The funny part about immigrants staying home is the rest of us who pay for them are here at work like we’ve always been. Looks like less mouths to feed today. Have fun while you still can. So glad to hear about massive deportation. Let’s make America great again. Thanks Donald Trump!”

Collier County Public Schools spokesman Greg Turchetta told the Naples Daily News Fleming’s post didn’t sit well with parents of students at Parkside Elementary, 96 percent of which are minorities.

“This is a very tight-knit neighborhood school that stands for inclusion,” he said. “The teachers have nothing but love for these students. Anything else is not a reflection of the school.”

Juanita Perez, an immigrant mother of two, told NBC 2 she was “offended” by Fleming’s online comments.

“My feelings are hurt for our kids,” she said. “I couldn’t even believe it. How could a teacher speak like that?”

Other parents contend the post was “racist.”

“I was mad. Really, really mad,” said Gabriella Marquez, whose two children are in Fleming’s class. “I would consider it really to be racist.”

District officials removed Fleming from the classroom and reassigned her to the district administrative center while they investigate, Parkside principal Tamie Stewart told NBC 2.

She said many parents called the school to complain.

“We greatly appreciate our parents who have communicated to the school to share concerns so that we can address this issue,” she said. “I want to ensure our families that this person’s individual post is not at all reflective of our school staff in any way.”

“What hurts is that Ms. Fleming works at an elementary school,” Marquez told the Naples Daily News. “These are little kids. What is she teaching them? How was she treating them just because they’re Latinos?”

A petition on Change.org titled “CCOS should fire Veronica Fleming” has also received more than 3,000 signatures of support in the five days since the incident.

“We understand that as a private citizen Mrs. Fleming should be allowed to express herself, however, as an educator at a school composed of predominantly Hispanic, Haitian, and students of other minorities, one should always be professional and behave as an impartial authority figure that is held to higher standards,” the petition reads.
http://eagnews.org/teacher-reassigne...n-immigration/
rryan (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #109
Ross
Lifetime Member

Hey , do you have a problem with that !

She is white , she must be a racist .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
rryan (02-21-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #110
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Students Confess Their Sins At ‘Masculinity Confession Booth’

ROB SHIMSHOCK
Education Reporter
12:38 PM 03/27/2017

A university will be hosting a “Masculinity Confession Booth” along with a number of other workshops and screenings to combat “hypermasculinity.”

“We have all reinforced hypermasculinity one way or another regardless of our gender!!” explains the University of Regina event description. “Come and share your sins so we can begin to discuss how to identify and change our ways !!!”

The “Man Up Against Violence” initiative will be hosting these events at the University of Regina in Canada during the present week.

The Masculinity Confession Booth will be making its debut Monday, but is also listed on the schedule for Tuesday through Thursday — days on which students can also attend a “Healthy Relationships and Healthy Masculinity Workshop.” Yet another event will seek to redefine the phrase, “man up.”

snip

“We don’t have to continue to live in a misogynistic society,” says Tyler Perkins, a football player at the University of Regina, in the video. “I think [changing this] falls on everyone and especially men because quite frankly we are the problem right now.”
http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/27/st...#ixzz4cchdnnfN
A.T. Hagan (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #111
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Government Says Man’s Last Name Too ‘Offensive’ For License Plate

March 27, 2017 11:27 AM

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) – A Canadian provincial government has withdrawn a man’s eponymous personalized vehicle license plate, saying Lorne Grabher’s surname is offensive to women when viewed on his car bumper.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...license-plate/
Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #112
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Student has grade docked for using 'mankind' in English paper

Shanna Nelson - Arizona Campus Correspondent
@shannadnelson
on Mar 28, 2017 at 4:16 PM EDT

A Northern Arizona University student lost credit on an English paper for using the word “mankind" instead of a gender-neutral alternative.

Cailin Jeffers, an English major at NAU, told Campus Reform that she received an email from one of her professors, Dr. Anne Scott, informing her that she had been docked one point out of a possible 50 on a recent paper for “problems with diction (word choice)” related to her use of the word “mankind” as a synonym for “humanity.”

“I would be negligent, as a professor who is running a class about the human condition and the assumptions we make about being ‘human,’ if I did not also raise this issue of gendered language and ask my students to respect the need for gender-neutral language,” Scott explained. “The words we use matter very much, or else teachers would not be making an issue of this at all, and the MLA would not be making recommendations for gender-neutral language at the national level.”

Scott then offered to let Jeffers revise the paper to earn additional points in five categories, including diction, but noted that she is under no obligation to do so.
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8986
A.T. Hagan (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #113
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,860 Posts
Muslim, Latino and black student groups at Harvard are forced to apologize for putting up fake deportation warnings in dorms to frighten students
Quote:
Notices from the fake 'Harvard Special Investigations Unit' were put up this week
They warned that one of their fellow students had been detained indefinitely
The notices did say on the back that they were not real and hoped they would force people to reflect on the reality that many lived in fear of being deported
Two of the groups have since apologized after causing widespread outrage
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-flyers.html

Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #114
Ross
Lifetime Member

Dr Anne Scott who penalized a student for using the word ''mankind'' .

Is not shaving is a gender neutral thang ??

Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #115
A.T. Hagan

University of Wisconsin begins offering free tampons in the MEN'S bathrooms

University of Wisconsin-Madison is rolling out a free tampon pilot program
Comes after student representative calls buying tampons 'unnecessary burden'
Tampons will be offered in some men's bathrooms for transgender students

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-s-room.html

The University of Wisconsin-Madison's Red Gym building is shown,
where men's restrooms will have free tampons. The building houses
the school's LGBT Campus Center
Old 04-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #116
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

A whole lot of "solving problems that don't exist" going on...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (04-18-2017), rryan (04-17-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #117
A.T. Hagan

'I consider myself trans-species': Fantasy fan transforms himself into an ELF with £25,000 of plastic surgery including full body hair removal, skin bleaching and eye colouring
Quote:
Luis Padron, 25, became obsessed with elves after being bullied as a child
The Argentine became determined to look like his favourite fantasy characters
Now has a £4,000-a-month ritual applying creams, dyes and treatment
He has almost spend more than £25,000 on surgery including liposuction on his jaw, a nose job, full body hair removal and operations to change his eye colour
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rgery-elf.html

Luis Padron, 25, from Buenos Ares, Argentina,
became obsessed with the world of elves,
angels and fantasy beings after being bullied
as a child
Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #118
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,514 Times in 2,755 Posts
Rape case against WA boy, 10, dropped

A 10 year-old boy who pleaded guilty to raping and threatening to kill an eight-year-old boy will not be sentenced after charges against him were dropped on psychiatric grounds.
The case shocked Perth residents when it was first revealed in February that the small schoolboy had been charged with sexually penetrating a child but had then been allowed to return to his suburban school and interact with other children.

More http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...b09d2a52ddb95e
Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #119
A.T. Hagan

University to host a public workshop on how to ‘reduce the impact of white privilege’

Western Washington University is hosting a public seminar on 'white privilege'
It will be hosted by a white professor, Randall Jimerson, who teaches history
The workshop is aimed to 'reduce the impact of white privilege' on campus
Jimerson said it is open to anyone but specifically curated for white participants

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-seminar.html

The seminar will be led by a history professor,
Randall Jimerson, who is white

Tags
big, bottom, bowlhaters, cereal, crazy, hurting, lazy, line, millennial, thread, years