Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,326 Times in 2,671 Posts
Default Road rage in school drop off line

Wtf?

http://www.khou.com/news/local/neigh...line/421476924

Deer Park parent pulls gun in drop off line

DEER PARK, Texas – There was a scary situation outside Deer Park Elementary Thursday after one mom pulled a gun on another in the drop-off line.

This happened in the morning as parents were dropping their kids off at school, according to school officials.

Apparently the gun was pulled after an altercation escalated, and kids were still inside both vehicles.

No one was injured in the incident and the weapon was not fired.

“Breaks my heart because they are so impressionable at this point when is this going to do for them when they have a conflict,” Jeff Wylin, a neighbor said. “Is that the first resolution they are going to think of, I'll pull a gun and brandish a gun? Not good.”

"People should be watching what they say in front of their children," said Judy Fields, as she was walking her granddaughter home from school. "Can you imagine a child seeing that?"

It is illegal to carry a weapon on a school’s campus.

Deer Park police were called to the scene but did not make any arrests. The Harris County District Attorney's Office says it hasn't decided on whether either mother will be charged.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,368 Posts
Have you ever been caught in a school pick-up/drop off line? I think they were designed to incite road rage incidents. The newest school in our town, was built and did they fix any of the design flaws? No, they actually made it worse. There is no place to park to walk in and pick up your younger students and getting through the bottle neck takes about 40 minutes unless you get there 30 minutes early. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents like this.
A.T. Hagan (03-13-2017), Feather (03-11-2017), rb. (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Deer Park police were called to the scene but did not make any arrests. The Harris County District Attorney's Office says it hasn't decided on whether either mother will be charged.
What the hell? How was there not an arrest here? Either the woman who pulled the gun was justified in doing so, in which case the other party had to have been committing a potentially serious offense in behaving threateningly, or the woman who pulled the gun was NOT justified, in which case she should be in custody and facing charges for pointing a gun at someone. I cannot conceive of anything emerging from a minor traffic dispute that could possibly justify such an escalation.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,476 Times in 2,485 Posts
The extract says a gun was ''pulled'' but does not clearly say ''pointed'' .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
The extract says a gun was ''pulled'' but does not clearly say ''pointed'' .

The school's letter to parents explicitly referred to one of the women pointing the gun at the other.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brihard For This Useful Post:
Ross (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,326 Times in 2,671 Posts
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/de...n-10992560.php

One parent got out of their vehicle and ran up to the window of the second vehicle. The woman in that vehicle pointed a gun at the other parent, Hart said.
The Harris County district attorney's office declined to file charges, as the woman with the gun said she was afraid and thought she was being attacked.

In a letter sent to parents, the school's principal said children were inside both of the vehicles during the incident, which was also witnessed by children in the surrounding area.

"I'm writing to inform you of an incident involving two parents that took place in the drop-off lane at Deer Park Elementary this morning. As students were being dropped off before school this morning, the two parents were involved in a disagreement. The confrontation escalated, ending with one parent pointing a firearm at the other.

Other parents witnessed the disagreement, and the police were contacted and quickly arrived on the scene.

Unfortunately, children were in both of the vehicles involved, and students were present in other nearby vehicles as well. No one was injured in the incident. In fact, the weapon was never used. But what should have been a reasonably safe drop-off process quickly became a police investigation.

At our school, teaching students the skills and knowledge they need to be successful in life is our goal and purpose. But we don't just teach language arts or science or mathematics or fine arts. We also teach children the appropriate way to resolve conflicts. It's not unusual for there to be disagreements between students at our school, but we always encourage children to seek a peaceful end to the conflict.

At one time or another, we've all experienced frustration while driving. But, as our students know all too well, it's never a good idea to react when emotions are high.

My hope is that we can all look at what happened this morning and reconsider how we deal with disagreements and anger in our lives. Conflicts such as the one that took place this morning have no place at our school. Keeping our schools safe for our children and community is our highest priority, but we can't do it alone. It takes all of us being aware of our surroundings, reporting suspicious activities, and using good judgment and restraint when disagreements arise.

Staff members are trained through the Crisis Prevention Institute, giving them the ability to intervene using specific techniques to deescalate a crisis situation. In this way, we are able to assure the Care, Welfare, Safety and Security for all students and staff at our school. I have included a crisis prevention resource at the link below.

In closing, I want to thank you in advance for doing your part to keep Deer Park Elementary a place where our students feel safe and secure.
Sincerely,
Lisa McLaughlin
Principal, Deer Park Elementary"
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
rryan (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Wallflower

You know, if parents would have their kids ride the bus instead of personal chauffeur service a lot of the lines would disappear.
Wallflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,368 Posts
Our district has drastically reduced bus service. If you choose a magnet school instead of your neighborhood school, you must provide your own transportation. Busing is only provided if you live 2.5 miles or more from your neighborhood school. Because of this, 90%+ of students are either junior high or high school age since we don't have neighborhood schools for those age groups. There is only one bus service for all she groups. Do you want your first grader riding a largely unsupervised bus with junior high age students?

Just a few of the reasons most parents end up driving their students to school.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,821 Posts
Or the bus arrives after the parents need to have left for work, dropping another kid at daycare, etc., etc.

It was so much easier when a parent stayed home. People would be in their houses when kids walked to school or waited for a bus. Eyes and ears to observe any trouble, and someone to take you in if the bus never arrived. Less traffic.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,817 Times in 1,917 Posts
I was a SAHM, and I had to bundle up both kids and walk up to the corner to wait for the bus for first-grade DD1. If I let her walk up alone, the older kids would tell her that the bus wasn't going to come, or that it had already come and she'd missed it. So she'd come home, and by the time I got her out of the house again, we could see the bus just pulling away. We had no second car, DH usually took our only one to work, and I was not going to walk for 2 miles down a very narrow, shoulderless, busy country road with my 6-year-old and toddler, and another 2 miles home.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,821 Posts
I did that walk, MA, in the last city we lived in. No bus after Junior Kindergarten. Toddler on a sled or in a wagon. #1 whining she was tired. Twice a day for two years. By the time #2 hit JK, she also broke her arm, so I was walking to and from school FOUR times a day, to help her use the toilet twice a day.

I was soooo happy to get a second car, four months of that cast was a killer.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Wallflower

In my area, there are separate buses for for elementary and middle/high school. They have different start times. I go by my area since, well I don't know about others. Here in my small neighborhood, we have bus service yet out of about 20 families with elementary kids only one child rides it. About the same for high school.
Wallflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop, line, rage, road, school