Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Other Crafts

Other Crafts A place to share your creative side: artwork, photos, crafts, or whatever tickles your fancy!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Mosaic
Living well is the best revenge.

Default Making holiday gifts.

I've decided to make candles for gifts. Not big ones, but small, nicely colored tealights in clear containers. I just ordered a bunch of scents and stuff this morning. Today I've been preparing the wax I already have from the used candles I've been collecting for years. Cant wait for the new things to get here so I can start in earnest.

I'm going to make a bunch of the things and give them as those little odd gifts one needs to have ready.

Is anyone making holiday gifts this year? If so, what?
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

My son is knitting everyone scarves. I think I may make my nephew a superhero cape. He is very tiny for his age, so it can't be very big. I think I may make it reversable, a fire truck on one side, a letter T for his name on the other.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
mt-lady

I'm quilting potholders,tablerunners and placemats. Finished a wall hanging for 1 nephew and almost half way thru a quilt for another. I haven't started the baking yet, usually do a couple hundred dozen cookies to give to neighbors,friends,family and business aquaintences.
mt-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Mosaic
Living well is the best revenge.

A friend and I used to do a lot of cookie baking before Christmas for gifts. Lots and lots of really, really great cookies. .

But a couple years ago we both decided to stop the massive tradition because we each ate too many of them, and you know....
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
SheWoff
Southern by Choice

Some will get home baked cookies and such, others are getting quilted items. I'm starting on next years too. With 5 grandsons all getting quilts, I have to!

She
SheWoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Jess

I would like to freeze some meals for my 81 yr FIL. Does anyone have any suggestions about which meals freeze best ???? I am a very simple cook !!!
Also, cookies that freeze well -
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
Ol'one_eye

I'm not a very good cook, but when my Grandmother was gettin' on I made her serveral individually sized chicken pot pies, with lots of veggies and such. I cheated, and used mushroom soup as the gravy to keep the mixture together. She would just pull one of those out of the freezer, and either nuke it or put it in the oven. I also made her mini meatloafs, tiny lasagna and pasta dishes, and cabbage rolls. This was all stuff she liked and eaten throughout her life. Trying to keep her on the veggies was tough, but my meatloaf mixture was half dehydrated veggie mix, and nobody in my family can tell. ( Perhaps that just proves that I'm not a very good cook!)
Hope some of this helps...

Last edited by Ol'one_eye; 01-21-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: oops..sorry about the early thread drift...guess this should be in the kitchen somewhere..
Ol'one_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
bradensmith

Candle making is creative as well as good idea too.
bradensmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gifts, holiday, making