Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #51
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,684 Times in 981 Posts
I am hoping things are going well and she and her daughter are simply catching up on well-deserved rest.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #52
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,865 Posts
Sue, they have a business. And a son. And now a daughter in the hospital. Busy, busy, busy, for sure. Hope all is well and she's not exhausting herself.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #53
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,295 Times in 368 Posts
Keeping watch on this thread and sending prayers for the whole family. It's not at all hard to get my heart all wrapped around Amberglass at this time. The world stands on end when your child, of any age, is threatened.

I do hope she will get an update to us soon.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #54
ladybugs4me
Wayta' Yawa' ~ Always Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerholic View Post
Keeping watch on this thread and sending prayers for the whole family. It's not at all hard to get my heart all wrapped around Amberglass at this time. The world stands on end when your child, of any age, is threatened.

I do hope she will get an update to us soon.
+1

Thinking of you AG.

Shrevet achaah qatt yuungtu. ~ The wind has a song for all eternity.
ladybugs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #55
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Hi everyone,

Thank you all very much for all your thoughts and kind words.

They released DD today as long as I keep her quarantined at home.She is not allowed to go back to school until she gets the all clear from our family Dr but for sure no school, mall or anything for the rest of the week. She doesn't have the strength or will to do anything anyway. Any backslips and I am to take her right back to the hospital.

If I go anywhere I am to wear a mask as well.I don't plan on leaving the house anyway,if I am infected I wouldnt want to pass this thing along. DD is still very weak but appears to be on the mend. Her blood work came back fine but we are waiting for her throat swab and H1N1 results.Her xrays showed some fluid in her lungs but she is coughing it all out now. The doctors said she had the flu,but which variety, we don't know yet.

This is one nasty virus. She had every symptom of flu except fever, but H1N1 does not always present with fever. They didn't give her Tamiflu because she had already been ill for just over 4 days. I took her to a clinic and the Dr told me it wasn't flu but Adenovirus. When she kept getting sicker I took ran her to emerg. They raced her in, hooked her up to an IV and put her in isolation right away. Anyone entering the room was draped in gowns, masks, gloves and eye protection. It was a very scary process.I think she was experiencing the worst of it when I rushed her in.

I am so drained right now, I will post when I know more.I am just hoping that the rest of us don't get this nasty bug.

I slept well at the hospital last night. I awoke about 7 am and went and got coffee.We had breakfast and DD went back to sleep. I had my coffee and curled up and went back to sleep myself until 10:00 am. I am getting every second of sleep I can.

After we got home DD had a shower and it took every bit of energy. She came into the living room and told me she felt really bad again. After she laid back down and rested for a while she was a little better. Her spirits are better now.

I will post when I know more.If this isnt swine flu....then there is one nasty bug out there along side of it.

Thanks for your kind words and prayers.

Amberglass.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #56
rb.

Very happy to know you're both home, AG. Now, take care of yourself. Sleeeep. Vitamins. Good food. Even if someone else needs to do it.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #57
rb.

PS Are they going to call you and let you know if it's swine flu?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #58
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Yes, they said they would call rb. I will post as soon as I know.

I am taking lots of vitamins and I'm sleeping every second I get. I'm loading DH and DS up on them as well.

ETA..Now that I have time to think about things.... I think DD's saving grace was the inhaler she got at the clinic that helped her lungs ....It was this.http://www.drugs.com/advair.html She started using this last Saturday..hmmmm
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #59
ladybugs4me
Wayta' Yawa' ~ Always Believe

I'm happy to read your DD improved enough to come home, AG, and hope the rest of you will stay well.

Get all the rest when you can.

Shrevet achaah qatt yuungtu. ~ The wind has a song for all eternity.
ladybugs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #60
rb.

Good, I'm glad they're calling. Let's hope it WAS/IS, and she, you, and the rest of the family can be done with it once and for all.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #61
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,027 Posts
I am so glad that your DD is feeling better and that your getting rest yourself.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #62
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Hang in there....good thing you were prepping & have the good soup and everything in place to deal with this.....but still a horrible thing to go through either way......yes it'll be a long, long fall & winter!
Take care & a feel better soon wish going out to your DD.
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #63
rb.

Think this thread has convinced me to ditch fabric dyeing tomorrow, and make chicken stock of all the carcasses I have in the freezer. With the kids back at school last week, and all the reported illness here in our little online world, I think it's time to have chicken broth, and a few "ready to eat" meals in the freezer. For whoever isn't sick to throw in the oven.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #64
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,295 Times in 368 Posts
+1 And here's another round of telling you to be sure you are taking good care of yourself.

I'm soooo relieved, Amberglass, that your DD got to come home. Being at home with Her things, Her bed, Her mama and all those other comforting things beats the fire out of being in the hospital in isolation. Recovery will be easier and much faster than in the hospital, too.

HUGS!

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #65
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
That's the best news I've had all day. Don't take this wrong but I hope it was swine flu because if not as you said, it means there's another really bad one circulating as well.

The lack of fever really makes this an uncertain call unless everything goes south in a major way & quickly... as it appears to have done with your daughter. Stick with the quarantine & watch her like a hawk for relapse & secondaries. From what I'd been hearing anecdotally, inhalers do really seem to help. It was after my SD used hers a few times that her lungs 'gave up' the gunk. Once had most of that coughed out, she began feeling as though she was on the mend.

We also got caught without enough convalescent meals prepped. That's got to become a priority. Two of us haven't caught it but who knows? Did we get enough exposure to trigger antibodies? You would think so but you can never be sure.

Be aware strep seems quite prevalent around here right now & I'm starting to hear of cases of mycoplasma pneunomia among folks I know. Interestingly, those folks tell me they FIRST had a 'heavy cold' which sounded more to me like flu symptoms EXCEPT for fever.

Early & odd winter sickly season, for sure.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #66
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,144 Posts
It IS very early and very odd. It's only September!

Strep is going around our neck of the woods too.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #67
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,320 Times in 502 Posts
I'm so glad to hear your daughter is home..how truly scary for you! Praying for a full recovery.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #68
Old Hawk
Elderest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
That's the best news I've had all day. Don't take this wrong but I hope it was swine flu because if not as you said, it means there's another really bad one circulating as well.

The lack of fever really makes this an uncertain call unless everything goes south in a major way & quickly... as it appears to have done with your daughter. Stick with the quarantine & watch her like a hawk for relapse & secondaries. From what I'd been hearing anecdotally, inhalers do really seem to help. It was after my SD used hers a few times that her lungs 'gave up' the gunk. Once had most of that coughed out, she began feeling as though she was on the mend.

We also got caught without enough convalescent meals prepped. That's got to become a priority. Two of us haven't caught it but who knows? Did we get enough exposure to trigger antibodies? You would think so but you can never be sure.

Be aware strep seems quite prevalent around here right now & I'm starting to hear of cases of mycoplasma pneunomia among folks I know. Interestingly, those folks tell me they FIRST had a 'heavy cold' which sounded more to me like flu symptoms EXCEPT for fever.

Early & odd winter sickly season, for sure.
CS, a significant number of confirmed H1N1 cases are presenting with little or no fever.

OH
Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #69
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Yeah, initially those numbers seemed fairly low but up here, they're talking of as many as 1/3 having no fever at all. More than a few think they have nothing worse than a severe attack of previously undiscovered allergies or a heavy cold... until they dfind out they've got pneumonia secondary to flu! I've seen more pharmacy delivery cars around here today than I normally see in a winter!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #70
Old Hawk
Elderest

1/3 is the figure I saw too. We were talking about this earlier and you were going to try to find more on it but I think you got bogged down.

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=17650

One of the problems we have seen here is that all PSA on H1N1 still list fever as the first symptom to look for. Drs are dismissing any query w/o high fever as not being flu.

I'd like to continue our previous discussion if you are up to it.

OH
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #71
ukmum

Thanked 1,460 Times in 574 Posts
Amberglass, this was good news to wake up to! I slept quite restlessly last night thinking about you and DD. I think every parent understands the worry you must have been feeling. Big hugs from across the pond.

I've read the 1/3 figure for no fever and that ties in with personal and others experiences here in my childrens school.
ukmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #72
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

I hope by the time you read this DD is feeling way better and wanting a big breakfast and a nap. You too.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #73
Christy
Member Level 1

Wow AG, that is a scary experience. How is your daughter today?
Please let us know as soon as the results come in.
Arik and me have been down a few days with flu-like symptooms. He is much better now but I just want to go back to bed.
Like Sue and OH said, no fever but all the other symptoms.
Been hitting that bottle with elderberry syrup every 4 hours.
Sitting here with icecold feet and feeling lightheaded.

Sounds as if your daughter has it much worse. Would elderberry be an option for her now? And for the rest of the family as a precaution?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #74
SarahS
ripple in still water

AG, glad to hear of the improvement in her condition. Even if the H1N1 tests are "negative" it sure sounds like it.
Christy, sending healing vibes your way.
My best friend in PA is down with it now.
SarahS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #75
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,412 Times in 649 Posts
Glad to hear she is improving.

Hope none of the rest of you get it.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hospital, isolation