Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #151
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Thank you!

Soooo, I had to run a couple of errands. I went to the bank and along the way I start getting a headache...I had to go to the grocery store ,while I'm there my chest starts aching a bit , then I go into a major coughing fit...about 4 times. So while I'm there, I book it over to the cooked food area and bought a bunch of cooked foods, lasagna's, cabbage rolls, chicken parm etc for my boys...just in case.

I'm going to lay down and hope that it's nothing...Yeah, I know I'm probably in denial.

I'll post back in a while...
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #152
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Oh hon... I doubt it's nothing. You ARE ready though & getting a bunch of prepped food was a great idea. Hubby & the male 'youngling' can cope - honestly. For now, IF you should be in for a few bad days, prepare them a few simple lists of what MUST get done & what can wait.

Make sre they know what symptoms as well, to watch for in both you & your daughter.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #153
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Oh God, Amber - I will be saying a prayer for you.

Feel better soon hun!
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #154
ukmum

Thanked 1,460 Times in 574 Posts
Sending healthy thoughts across the Atlantic for you (I've heard sea air is good for the constitution!)

hope you and yours feel better soon
ukmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #155
dessismama
Member Level 1

Oh no, Amber, hope it goes away quickly for you...
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #156
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Bolluxing bloody hell...

My step daughter was up pretty late & as a result slept much of the day before an evening shift. A 'cold' came on rather suddenly yesterday & she was up late due to congestion & tons of nose blowing.

Work sent her home halfway through her shift, after the bulk of the work was done. She staggered in, looked at us strangely & caromed off the walls to her room. Collapsed on the bed, coat, wet shoes & all. Took her 5 minutes to get enough energy to sit up, strip off her clothes & get into pjs. No fever but VERY flushed face. No cough, no aching... yet.

She managed to stay awake enough long enough to eat a big bowl of chicken soup, then fell asleep by seven thirty. She just woke up again a little bit ago. She's freezing... and sweating. Her knees ache. Sore throat & still looks flushed but underneath the hecticly red cheeks, she's terribly pale. She's admitting to a slight degree of nausea & zero interest in food. I had to push her to drink even a few sips of fluid.

She's a meticulously clean young lady who MUST shower every day after work & more often when she feels warm. I couldn't even coax her into a bath if I cleaned the tub, ran the bath & got her everything she needed - just not enough energy. A shower is out of the question.

She's done a ton of overtime in the past few weeks covering for sickies. Her last several shifts have been evenings & she tells me the 2 guys coming in to replace her have been working sick - whatever they have, (they're admitting to flu symptoms Lite), it hasn't been enough to keep them off work although both zonked out & slept away their days off.

I hope to Gawd, she doesn't have flu again. If she even had it the first time. Doc didn't want to see her when she called. Said it sounded like pH1N1, (too early for anything else to be going around), but unless she had to 'uh oh' symptoms, staying home & treating it sensibly was all that was required. Getting a test done wasn't even in the realm of possibilities then.

This is starting to irritate me...
Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 AM   #157
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Aww Sue, Poor thing. There is a hell of a lot of crud going around. She deals with the public a lot as well doesn't she.

I spent the day cat napping and watching tv wrapped in heavy blankets. I've been taking Benelin1 all in 1 and it's helping. I ache, my chest is a bit congested, I'm stuffed up and a few of my joints are hurting.I took a couple of Tylenol 3's tonight as well.

I'll wait to see how I am tomorrow, I don't want to waste Tamilflu. I was worse this morning then I am now...maybe it's the meds I've been taking, I don't know.

DD seems a bit better. She sat up for a couple hours checking out new vacation destinations for this winter. She's feeling the need for sunshine and heat and I can't blame her.The kids been through the wringer this fall.

DD called into work this morning to let them know she was sick. The owner was an absolute bitch to her,went as far as asking if she was going to get a doctors note.She didn't believe her.... I'd like to go over and rip her a new one...The other owner {her sister} was a real bitch last the first time she got H1N1. I told her to look for another job,she works her ass off for this store. DD is the managers favourite because she works so hard.Last time, the owner wrote DD up and had the mngr blast her because I called in to report her being off sick and not DD....
Maybe because....She was in the friggin hospital........ She still wanted DD to call in.

Help is close to home...my ass! Their loss will be someone else's gain. I won't have my DD who is a hard working sweetheart talked to like that. She's one of the few that take extra shifts, even if it's last minute.

Last edited by Amberglass; 11-07-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo's...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #158
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Wow! I would be furious with them!

Glad to hear you guys are feeling a bit better - warm sunny vacation spots sound great and are a good sign of things to come!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #159
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Amberglass, yeah once she's better & life is back to normal, a change of employment might be in order - in her OWN time. Get a better job then give them EXACTLY the mandated notice period - not a second more.

Hope YOU are feeling better this morning.

We stayed up late & when we got up this morning, she'd gone to work! Hopefully that means she felt much better. What I'm scared of is that she tried to call in sick & was told to come in because her workmate was already ill & they didn't have replacements. I hope that wasn't the case.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #160
ontariomom
Member Level 2

It is becoming apparent to me that there are many employers who just don't give a damn if there employees are ill or not...

Sue I hope your DD is feeling better soon too - it's a damn shame when people can't just take their time to recover without worrying about everyone else.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #161
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

She DID try to call in sick & one of the bonehead night staff told her she was the only one coming in this morning, so she dragged herself in. She wasn't 7 when the weekend supervisor came in at noon, she took one look at her & sent her home. Same symptoms, very fatigued, hectic colouring overlying a deep pallor. Aching knee joints which haven't gotten worse. She came home & crashed for 5 hours. She's supposed to work swing shift tomorrow - we'll see.

Many employers are running at absolutely minimal manning levels & it's biting them now. The hotel/travel/tourism industry around here doesn't hire this time of yeat. If anything, they lay off. There have been 2 recent hires at her job but they're out sick.

She's fretting enough that she doesn't have sick leave. This will erase her overtime.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #162
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

I want everyone to drink a bowl or two of chicken soup. Get into bed and every time you wake go make water. Drink two glasses of water and go back to bed. I'll see how you are doing tomorrow.
If my good broom wasn't in the shop I'd stop by to each of you and get you tended to. Get resting, now go to bed.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #163
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Argh....

I am feeling pretty rough. I'm not really really, sick or have to stay in bed sick, but I'm running really short in the energy dept. I've mostly been laying around watching tv and sleeping. DD has been in my bed doing the same. She's taking the Tami and also flu meds and they seem to be helping.

I've had enough......
Old 11-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #164
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

It's sure turning into a weird sickly season... flu that's NOT flu & non-flu that tests positive for flu. I'll tell you, it's turning me into a raving Munchasuen type hypochondirac by proxy - easgerly seizing on OTHER peoples' symptoms, trying to figure out what's going on & driving myself nuts.

Our FluWatch is showing, as is typical, low amounts of RSV, adenovirus & parainfluenza. We are seeing seasonal flu in this country but most of it seems to be limited to Quebec. 'Normal' head colds don't seem to exist - they either are a case of minor sniffles that pass in 24 hours or drag on & on indefinitely.

It's making me cranky.

I can't imagine having young kids to moniter these days. It's damned scary & my hat's off to you all.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #165
dessismama
Member Level 1

It is a terrible season... I hear students telling me they never get sick and they have had several colds already and the flu once or twice... My kids are constantly battling something... sniffles, stomach aches, sore throats... It is going to be the longest winter around here. Argh!

Hope everyone is on the mend...!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #166
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

We will be talking about this winter and flu season for years to come...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #167
ilovedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
It is a terrible season... I hear students telling me they never get sick and they have had several colds already and the flu once or twice... My kids are constantly battling something... sniffles, stomach aches, sore throats... It is going to be the longest winter around here. Argh!

Hope everyone is on the mend...!!!
I wonder if it will be coming down this way soon, then. Our family hasn't even had a sniffle since last March. We know plenty of kids(and their parents) who have had H1N1, strep throat(also some folks who had this as a secondary infection to swine flu), colds and crud, and even stomach viruses.....but somehow we've avoided the damages so far! What's funny is that we've taken 2 vacations in the past 5 weeks by plane and I swore I'd pick up some nasty thing but we got nothing thankfully. We even went to Mexico 2 weeks ago and I didn't hear one cough down there from tourists or from residents!

Yesterday we were at a tennis tournament(my 11 year old competes) and 2 parents who happened to sit next to me told me they were feeling under the weather. And then another kid told us that one of the boys pulled out of the tournament b/c he was home vomiting, but had no fever. And, another friend of my son's was home with pneumonia which was really weird b/c they thought she had her reflux problems bothering her and she had never even had a fever or cold symptoms, etc. She just started feeling crappy on Wed. AM and her cough sounded a bit more rattled, so they took her in to the doc and lo and behold she has pneumonia!

I live in AZ and I'd say that 30% of the people(or kids) I stay in contact with have had H1N1 and about 20% have had some other crud. I haven't heard any scary stories about the hospitals being packed or anything here, though, either.

I do pray that everyone stays healthy on these boards and that these flus and bugs start waning!
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #168
dessismama
Member Level 1

Ilovedogs, what is your secret? Are you supplementing with anything or is it pure luck? I am counting my blessings that even though I have been exposed to pH1N1 more times than willing to admit, so far...so good. And my three kids recovered with no secondaries and no serious damage, as far as I can tell.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #169
ilovedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
Ilovedogs, what is your secret? Are you supplementing with anything or is it pure luck? I am counting my blessings that even though I have been exposed to pH1N1 more times than willing to admit, so far...so good. And my three kids recovered with no secondaries and no serious damage, as far as I can tell.
Yes, we supplement but not with anything crazy! We just take our vitamin C, vitamin D, echinacea, garlic, and a super reds powder. We are constantly out and about and I am just not seeing illness around here like you guys are talking about. I walk through the stores and I don't see people even sniffling. I was at Whole Foods today, 2 golf stores, and SuperWalmart and I didn't see anyone questionable! Maybe it will get worse here as our weather cools down? I hope NOT!
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #170
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

One thing that's always been confounding about flu is how the impact is so uneven. One community can be surrounded by cities/towns with high attack rates, all out efforts by HCW & hospitals & be seeing... nothing or next to it. It can stay that way or, months later when everyone else is clear & conditions wouldn't appear suitable, THEN get nailed. It's one of flu's ongoing myserties, especially today when most do tend to travel more than a few miles from their home village!

My city was hit hard, not this week just passed but the week before. And this week? Nothing. School absence rates are back to normal, the flu assessment centers are only seeing a trickle of potential cases & I've not heard of any panic at the hospital. Yet the majority of residents DIDN'T suffer from any ILI. Does that mean we get another round later? Or are we fine? Nobody has easy answers.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #171
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I just slept for a few days and have now forced myself to get up. I ache but think I'm through the worst of it. I never did get much of a cough but there were times when my chest sure hurt.

DD is still out of school. She tried going yesterday, thinking she was well enough but she called me at noon to go and pick her up. I picked her up, we did a run to McDonalds for a few wraps and we both went right back to bed.She's still sleeping. She was up for several hours last night though.

She got her mid term and all her grades were high 80's and mid 90's, which took some worry away regarding her missing so much school. She brought home some work to get caught up on when she's up to it.

I will be so friggin happy when this is done..... and out of my house!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #172
Cassie

Wow Amber, you all certainly got hit hard with this. I hope it is done and over with soon for you as well.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #173
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,555 Times in 2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
I will be so friggin happy when this is done..... and out of my house!
Amen sister.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #174
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,840 Times in 3,315 Posts
I'll keep your DD in my prayers, AmberGlass!!

I'm so sorry that this nasty bug is hitting her so hard. She's blessed to have such a super mom and family! And the extended circle of those to offer prayers!
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hospital, isolation