Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,130 Posts
Default OK, add us to this list

DS (turns 11 in two weeks) just got back from the ER. He started feeling very ill last night (aches, sore throat, stomach), and around 5:00 am I heard him calling for me from his room (does not happen). He was very warm, and complained that he hurt everywhere. He said he felt like he had sunburn because he was hot, but felt cold. Rattling cough, congestion, massive headache etc....

It came on pretty quickly (as we have heard). The descision to go to the ER was based on the pain he was in, plus or Peds reluctance to consider anti-virals in the past.

DW took him and visit went like this:

Doc: Yes, looks like flu, go home and sleep.
DW: No, I want some additional testing done to see if its H1N1.
Doc: We don't have a flu test.
DW: OK, then I want Tamiflu.
Doc: We can't give Tamiflu without a positive for flu. (Love the circular argument)
DW: Well, I want the Tamiflu.
Doc: OK, we'll test him for flu

I'm guessing she meant they didn't have an H1N1 test. Based on description, they did a rapid flu A test.

So he came back positive for flu A. And then the typical "It doesn't mean it's H1N1, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, they wrote a script for Tami. Three of the local pharmacies are out, but just found one that filled it.

Wish the rest of us luck (DD hopes to get perfect attendance this year, so she's worried brother will get her sick!).

OK, off to pick up the Tami, I'll check in later.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,170 Times in 960 Posts
Best luck
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,536 Times in 4,604 Posts
Awww, hope he feels better. Keep us informed as this plays out in your household.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Bri2301
Member Level 4

Hate it when the kids get sick. Even worse when they're really young and can't explain what they're feeling.

Good luck and kudos for sticking not folding to the "authority".

Jeff B.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
ukmum

Thanked 1,585 Times in 595 Posts
Hope he's feeling better soon.
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Good for you Ex - symptom wise, sounds like the 'classic flu slam'. Fever, aches & coughing. Glad you held out for test & Tami. It's still too early in your state for seasonal strains to be an issue, so chances are damned high it's H1N1.

Hope he starts feeling better fairly soon & hope the rest of you stay clear.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,217 Times in 2,044 Posts
Hope he has a rapid recovery, Ex. It's hell on parents when their kids are sick.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanks all. DW is coughing and has the chills and sore throat now also.

I had mentioned a couple of days ago in chat that the school district that my kids go to (and DW works at) had two schools with 30% + absenteeism last week. One is right around the corner from us, and our kids and theirs mix all the time with soccer, baseball, football, church, etc. One of the kids that is in choir with my son goes to the 30% + school and came home early on Friday. I actually emailed the newspaper to give them the heads up (and low and behold there was a front page articlt the next day), but the administators responded with the typical spin/drivel. I posted the articles in the US thread on thursday or friday.

The other vector that it could be is that DS broke his hand last week and spent a few hours in the ER for xrays. There were a lot of ILI patients there, and they were not in their own area, they were mixed in with all the other patients.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

What a great parent you are, insisting that they get him the tami could very well mean the difference between a long, difficult illness and a easier quick recovery! He's the same age as my ds and I dread going through it! I hope the little guy will do ok, keep us posted!
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

He's hating life right now.

Can I alternate tylenol / advil (every 3 hours) to help with the aches and fever?

DW is sliding downhill fast. Insists she's not sick...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Key
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
He's hating life right now.

Can I alternate tylenol / advil (every 3 hours) to help with the aches and fever?

DW is sliding downhill fast. Insists she's not sick...
I have often seen that method recommended to reduce a stubborn fever. I have also read some cases of this flu where even doing that won't kick the fever down much.

Best wishes, Exodia.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Yes, you can safely do that & sometimes that combo works better than either one straight up.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Exodia,

My thoughts are with you all.I hope your family is on the road to recovery very soon.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
dessismama
Member Level 1

Exodia,

Your family is in my thoughts!! Hope your son feels better soon and DW too!! I only did Tylenol here but the elderberry made the fever go away pretty quickly. I did turmeric for the pains and let the kids use ice packs.

DD was covered in frozen peas at 5 in morning, moaning in pain... Your story brought back the memories...

Wishing everyone speedy recovery!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Old Hawk
Elderest

Quote:
Exodia.....

Doc: Yes, looks like flu, go home and sleep.
DW: No, I want some additional testing done to see if its H1N1.
Doc: We don't have a flu test.
DW: OK, then I want Tamiflu.
Doc: We can't give Tamiflu without a positive for flu. (Love the circular argument)
DW: Well, I want the Tamiflu.
Doc: OK, we'll test him for flu

I'm guessing she meant they didn't have an H1N1 test. Based on description, they did a rapid flu A test.

So he came back positive for flu A. And then the typical "It doesn't mean it's H1N1, blah, blah, blah...
Quote:
http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread...609#post159609

I compiled the CDC items from Key, printed out copies to pass around, and emailed it to all I could. For the convenience of anyone wishing to do this you can copy below. OH

CDC ON FLU
Some doctors are uninformed. People are being refused flu treatment because they do not have a high fever. People are being refused flu treatment because of a negative quick test. Pregnant women are being refused flu treatment. The following are excerpts directly from the CDC with links. Please pass along to everyone who might encounter an uninformed doctor

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/sick.htm
How do I know if I have the flu?
You may have the flu if you have some or all of these symptoms:
  • fever *
  • cough
  • sore throat
  • runny or stuffy nose
  • body aches
  • headache
  • chills
  • fatigue
  • sometimes diarrhea and vomiting
  • *It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/rapid_testing.htm
    RIDT result: Positive for Influenza Type A
    Note: This test can not distinguish influenza A virus subtypes. For example, this test cannot distinguish influenza infections caused by novel influenza A viruses versus seasonal influenza A viruses.
    RIDT result: Negative for Influenza A and B
    Note: The sensitivity of this assay has been shown to range between [10-70%*] for the detection of novel influenza A (H1N1) virus and between [20-100%*] for seasonal influenza viruses. A negative result does not exclude influenza virus infection. If influenza is circulating in your community, a diagnosis of influenza should be considered based on a patient’s clinical presentation and empiric antiviral treatment should be considered, if indicated. If more conclusive testing is desired, follow-up confirmatory testing with either [viral culture or RT-PCR*] is warranted.
    * Fill in with individual clinical laboratory data and information
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/clinician_pregnant.htm
Treatment Recommendations
Pregnant women
with influenza-like illnesses should receive empiric antiviral treatment. Because of its systemic activity, the drug of choice for treatment of pregnant women is oseltamivir. Recommended duration of treatment is five days. Treatment should not be delayed while waiting for the results of viral testing. As is recommended for other persons who are treated, antiviral treatment should be initiated as soon as possible after the onset of influenza symptoms, with benefits expected to be greatest if started within 48 hours of onset, based on data from studies of seasonal influenza. However, data from studies on seasonal influenza indicate benefit for hospitalized patients even if treatment is started more than 48 hours after onset. Thus, antiviral medications are recommended for high risk persons, including pregnant women, presenting for care more than 48 hours after illness onset, particularly for those who require hospitalization
-----------------------------

You got an uniformed Dr. Exodia. Everyone please consider printing this out and carrying it with you.

OH

Last edited by Old Hawk; 10-26-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Rough night last night, although the 2nd dose of Tami seems to have moderated things somewhat.

Last night the fever and aches were so bad that my son actually told me he wished he could die. Not the first time I've heard this from people with a bad bout of influenza, but it's scary when you hear it from your kid, unsolicited. He got about 5 hours of uninterupted, peaceful sleep (in contrast to the painful, incoherent thrashing that had proceeded it), and this morning he seemed more himself personality wise, even wondering how the Eagles did last night and how his fantasy team made out.

DW stuggled all night, the cough and exhaustion seems to be the bad part for her. She's somewhat resistive to taking medication, but finally gave in late last night for some night-time theraflu. That allowed her to sleep through the night.

It will be interesting to see the progression of the disease for DS (on Tamiflu) compared to DW (not on Tamiflu).

DD and I are hitting the elderberry in prevent mode.

My son had something about 2 months ago that the pediatrician thought was probably H1N1, but it was nothing compared to this. Either he didn't have it then, or there are multiple versions circulating. I wouldn't think that if he had it twice, it would be worse the second time. Anyone recall from the 1918 stories of multiple infections if there was a trend either way?

I'll check back in later with an update. Thanks again for all the positive energy.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Aw, poor guy. Hang in there, Exodia. DD#2 is about the same age as your son, on her first, visible 24 hours with it. I've been giving her elderberry every four hours since last night. Seems to be keeping it mild, although her nose is running like a faucet, and she's got quite obvious infection of the eyes at this point. Low fever. Hope that bodes well for you and your DD on the elderberry.

So your wife's playing the martyr, eh?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
Wow, Ex. It really sounds like you've got it bad there. Double cases in your house right now.

My thoughts are with you.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Keep it up! Congratulations on the DW getting the tami from your reluctant doc!
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

DS sounds better, DW sounds worse.

I was able to get DWs doc to phone in a Tami Rx for her.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I suspect another rough night ahead. And I'm sorry for that. Soetimes, a really BAD 24-72 hours means a faster recovery. It's the damned worrying about the intial time frame that is awful for you though, not to mention the symptoms for the family!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,217 Times in 2,044 Posts
Yes, in 1918, there were several reports of people getting it in both the spring mild form and again, much more severely, in the fall.

I would not be surprised to find that there are 2 or more pandemic H1N1 strains out there; consider that the rapid spread in the spring allowed for plenty of time since then for multiple strains to also spread.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Unfortunately, we don't know the strain situation. That's one of the reasons I was torqued that so little testing was done over the last spring, summer & early fall. I understand they didn't want labs overwhelmed with specimens to type out but you can't do detailed genetic testing without a good range of specimens.

What happened in 1918? We don't know. Was it H1N1 in various guises? Or was the seasonal strain(s) in vogue then also taking no prisoners?

More importantly, what's happening now. It would be darned early for seasonal flu & so far, not a whole lot of it has been seen. Confounding matters is the report that came out in the last several days showing that many who were sick in the spring wjho were assumed to have flu, did not. If they didn't, what the behoozles did they have?

We badly need to know exactly what's out there - very much so this year.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #23
dessismama
Member Level 1

Exodia, was your son taking vitamin D3 and elderberry preventatively before he got sick? Was the first illness with as high a fever as the second one?

My 7 year old had a very mild viral illness in mid-September and then the following week she got hit like a truck with the flu. It was horrendously worse the second time and honestly, she had never been this sick. I dread the possibility of a third attack that is even worse...

Hope your child and your wife are both better now!!!

Keep taking the elderberry and extra D3 and C!!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #24
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

dessismama--he was not taking anything before he became sick. The first illness was rather mild, low fever, loss of appetite, tiredness. What you descibe is what I'm seeing this time around, I've never seen either of my kids that sick.

I'm actually a little fearful of inducing a cytokine over reaction in the kids with the elderberry if they are already sick. I'm worried that they may not recognize a bad reaction immediatley (you know how kids are, most times don't mention something until it's bad). I'm giving my daughter elderberry in prevent mode, hoping to keep viral load down enough that we never get to where my son was yesterday.

My son has responded well to the Tamiflu and ate a hearty dinner, fever is down pretty close to normal (on ibuprofren).

My wife just took her first course of the Tami, and still is pretty ill. I did get her to a steam and to take some cough medicine, and that has helped with the cough. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, she sees the improvement my son did.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
dessismama
Member Level 1

Thanks, Exodia!! Hope your son continues to improve and your wife is better too!!

I would recommend Mullein for the cough. My mom who always develops bronchitis with colds tried it this week when she got the cold my youngest had, and she stopped coughing after 1 dose. She was amazed... and now she is recommending it to everyone. It worked on all of my kids better than any cough syrup. (No worries about cytokine storms either with this herb.)

Tags
add, list