Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #51
dessismama
Member Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
I'm doing much better today. I'm the only one in the house who never developed a bad cough. Not sure why. The headache and muscle aches (mostly upper body..??) are still there, but the fever is down a good bit. I'm trying today with no meds.
Glad to hear you are on the mend!! I think you did not get the cough because the elderberry blocked the virus from infecting your lungs.

Go elderberry!! Off to chug down some more... more contacts with infected students.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #52
kakready

Ex,
Thanks, you're so thoughtful. Glad to hear you're getting better, really. Don't be put off by my Neo-Nicey humor. It's just that the economy is suffering greatly since you are not in the workforce. BTW, you've been assigned the "metal room". We need some 2024-T3. Get well soon!
kakready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #53
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,013 Posts
Sorry, we don't stock that (now that I'm in charge). You'll need to order it yourself.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #54
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Well, everyone is back to school/work for the first time in two weeks. DW is still having a tough time of it with a nasty cough that won't go away. I think maybe a follow up with the doc is in order, i'm concerned she's got pneumonia now. Everyone else is doing pretty well, although the overall energy level is really at rock bottom for all of us.

Our school district has finally given us a date for vax. November 24th. The district serves about 9300 students. They have a six hour window. Sounds like a disaster in waiting. Even if they get a 25% turnout, they would have to vax 7 kids a minute for 6 hours straight. Good luck.

DS wants to get the vax even though we think he's had the flu it twice now. He's scared to catch it again, and never wants to be that sick again.

On a lighter note, we rescued an abandoned kitten Saturday night, looks to be about 5 weeks old. He's brightened everyone's spirits a little.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #55
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Great news! Hopefully your wife is just suffering a cough and nothing serious - definitly do a follow up and let us know how she makes out!

While the kitten might brighten your spirits now, give it about three weeks. We got a kitten about a month ago, sweet little thing but she is VERY annoying lol..gets into everything, messy, loves to play with your feet under the blanket at 3am...

Glad to hear you guys are feeling better!
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #56
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,045 Times in 5,057 Posts
Check with your local health department about the wisdom of getting the vax this close to possibly two bouts of flu - I don't know what the latest thinking is.

Yeah, get your wife checked for pneumonia & be aware that the kitten will have more energy than all of you combined for the forseeable future.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #57
flu-n-u
Member Level 1

"DW is still having a tough time of it with a nasty cough that won't go away. I think maybe a follow up with the doc is in order, i'm concerned she's got pneumonia now."

Dr visit called for, yes of course! But that cought-forever can also be caused by post-nasal drip, sinus infection, etc. This is where neti pots & saline nasal spray and gargle can really come in handy.

I've found starting treatment before cough/sore throat works best, but during is better than nothing. (A pneumovax can sometimes help prevent the cough-forever, for anyone lurking.)

But for this flu, I was also prescribed an inhaled steroid, which made a major difference. I used it for almost a month. You might want to ask about that too.
flu-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #58
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I guess I spoke too soon. DS stayed home yesterday and is home today with fever and sore throat. I'm guessing the strep was not fully eradicated. Poor guy, he's really sick of being sick.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #59
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Oh no! That sucks!

Is he on any antibiotics for the strep?
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #60
Cassie

Oh not, not again. These viruses are really not wanting to leave people once they take hold. I hope he feels better soon.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #61
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

As I read more and more headlines about kids and teachers who have died. I want to say thanks for the information and wisdom from the folks here. I posted the below at PFI, and it applies to you all as well (maybe more so because you shared my personal situation). Thank you:

Quote:
Quote:
Swine flu blamed in school teacher's death
Gilmer County special education teacher lovingly remembered
Quote:
Teacher Teri Lynn Burgoyne inspired others
My DW is a teacher. When it hit our family, I was very proactive about getting her Tamiflu (and she was still very sick). I can only imagine what would have happened if I had not; it might be her in one of these headlines.

I thank everyone here, and at the other sites I visit for the great information and analysis that you provide.

Tags
add, list