Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Cassie

Default Fever and a headache, guess it's here

My poor little girl, today is her 13th birthday and she woke me up at 3:30 am with a fever and a headache. We worried that it might be coming as she slept at a friend's this weekend who had same symptoms yesterday am. DD went to bed last night saying she was cold, and I was so tired myself I didn't even think. Said she woke up at midnight and was up for awhile. She's been so exicted for the birthday she was in tears that now she will have to miss school.

The advil has helped get the fever down and the headache isn't as bad. She has a slight cough only every once in awhile. She's been taking elderberry the past week, Ester C and probiotics for about a month, and occasionally tea tree and oil of oregano when I am concerned about the germs. Her feet are covered in it now.

I guess by tonight we'll have a better idea of where this is going, at this point I feel better knowing it didn't come on too hard or fast. I have meds if I feel that it does start going in a bad direction. And luckily my order from Swanson for more elderberry and mullein will be in today. I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. We were supposed to have the vaccine this weekend at our school, but it got delayed till next weekend. Probably wouldn't have done us any good now anyways. But I wonder should she still get it IF she's still feeling any effects of this flu then?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,555 Times in 2,068 Posts
Cassie, sorry to hear that DD is sick. I think the elderberry will help shorten the duration for her. We had it run through our house. DW and DS got it first and had not been on elderberry. They were very sick, to the point we got Tamiflu for both of them. As soon as they became ill, my DD and I started taking elderberry. While we both ended up sick, it was nowhere nearly as bad.

I hope she is feeling better soon. I'd make sure everyone in the house is taking the elderberry at this point. Good luck.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Cassie

Thanks Exodia, I did follow your thread so I saw what you did, and am grateful for the info. I was one who wasn't sure on the elderberry for kids either, but I stocked back up last week after reading on here about people's results with it, I felt it would be a good idea.

I am kind of surprised she got it as we really don't have major amounts of cases yet, but the paper said it was on our doorstep. I just talked to the friend's mother who is about 12 hours ahead of my daughter and she has developed the bad cough now. So I suppose that's where we are heading. Thankfully she has not been nauseous and vomiting, so we should be able to keep the meds and fluids in her. I also am grateful for reading about mullein and the help it has been for the cough, I got my order in for that just in time as tracking shows it is out for delivery right now.

Exodia did you say whether you and your DD also took the Tamiflu? I feel alot better about this whole thing having this place to turn to. Funny I started prepping a few years back when I read all this stuff from you all, but I never expected to get it so soon before our whole area did.

Last edited by Cassie; 11-09-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

DD and I did not take Tamiflu, I feel that our proactive use of the elderberry kept us from being sick enough to warrant it.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Cassie

Ok good to know. I'm also in touch with the other mom whose daughter is 12 hours ahead of us. If I feel my DD's symptoms are much worse than the other girl's I would probably try to get some. But so far she's just tired and slight fever. Headache she says is better and it's been over 6 hours since advil. Slight sniffles and cough.

And speaking of Elderberry does anyone ever get any slight nausea from taking it? I always have. How often should I give it to her and my husband and myself? I was thinking a tsp. 3 times a day would be good.

Last edited by Cassie; 11-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,865 Posts
Cassie, we've been using elderberry for every sniffle, sneeze, and sore throat for 5 or more winters, and none of us have ever felt nausea after taking it.

I'd give it every four hours while awake, that's seemed the best for us. When the kids were younger, I gave them half an adult dose, but now at 11 and 14, they are roughly my size (just not quite my weight), and I give them a full adult dose.

I *think* we may have had it about 2 weeks ago, since the cough came within a day or two of the sore throat, and it didn't appear "cold-like". I immediately started giving them (and I) the elderberry. One missed two days of school, one missed three. Mild symptoms...100 degree fevers briefly, headache, mild cough, middle of the road sore throat, and very tired leading up to the illness, and after. 14 year old is still going to bed about an hour early, on her own. Otherwise, a-ok.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
ilovedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Ok good to know. I have a whole day to be safe to see where this goes, and hope not to have to use it. I'm also in touch with the other mom whose daughter is 12 hours ahead of us. If I feel my DD's symptoms are much worse than the other girl's I would probably start them. But so far she's just tired and slight fever. Headache she says is better and it's been over 6 hours since advil. Slight sniffles and cough.

And speaking of Elderberry does anyone ever get any slight nausea from taking it? I always have. How often should I give it to her and my husband and myself? I was thinking a tsp. 3 times a day would be good.
Cassie, I feel nauseous after taking elderberry, too. I have found the lozenges don't upset my stomach as much as the liquid. Also, I've mixed the liquid with Sprite or ginger ale to help tame the effects on my stomach and that helps, too!
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I've never felt nauseous after taking it. Are you taking sambucol (or other syrup) or an alcohol based tincture or something else?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Cassie

Thanks rb for the info. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one it makes feel nauseous. It's not awful, but my stomach tends to be sensitive to a lot of foods too. I'll definitely try the gingerale with it.

DD is now running fever of 102.5, I gave her some liquid advil and another dose of elderberry and she was nauseous and vomited almost right after.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Key
Member Level 5

Elderberry dosages from one of the original study trials:

"In that trial, 27 subjects were randomized to receive Sambucol for 3 days at the onset of flu symptoms. Adults were instructed to take 4 tablespoons per day and children (under 12 years; the youngest was 5 years old) 2 tablespoons per day. A significant improvement of symptoms, including fever, was seen in 93.3% of the elderberry group within 2 days, compared to 91.7% of the placebo group not showing improvement until day 6 (p <0.001). Complete resolution (“cure”) was achieved within 2 to 3 days in approximately 90% of the elderberry group and within 6 days in the placebo group (p < 0.001). "

And a second trial.... 15ml = 1 tablespoon ...so same thing as above.

"Patients were instructed to take 15 ml of elderberry or placebo 4 times per day. Study medication was started within 48 hours (mean 27.2 hours) of the onset of the influenza-like symptoms and continued for 5 days. Patients were also allowed to take a “rescue medication” (oral paracetamol and/or a dose-metered nasal spray [Otrivin®, Novartis, Basel, Switzerland]) if necessary during the study."
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Cassie

Not sure if it's ok to post links here, but I take the syrup that swanson sells:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU106/ItemDetail?n=

But I've taken Sambucol in the past and had the same thing, slight nausea.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Cassie

I take the Elderberry Syrup Extract 100% Natural that Swanson sells. But I've taken the Sambucol in the past with the same results, slight nausea. Not enough to stop me from taking it now that the flu is in my house, but annoying enough that I had not been taking it preventatively before.

Key, thanks for the info on the 15 ml= 1 tsp. I have lots of medicine cups that only show ml and I had no idea what was what tsp. wise.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
ilovedogs

Quote:
Thanks rb for the info. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one it makes feel nauseous. It's not awful, but my stomach tends to be sensitive to a lot of foods too. I'll definitely try the gingerale with it.

DD is now running fever of 102.5, I gave her some liquid advil and another dose of elderberry and she was nauseous and vomited almost right after.
If she can't keep the meds down, maybe get her into the bath to cool her off. Have you read about the wet socks method of handling fever? It might work if meds can't be kept down. I've not had to try this yet but I think I saw it here on another section of the message boards.
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Cassie

Actually I just read about the wet socks for fever on here this morning. We got it down to 101 again and the docs did say if you can't get it down to at least 101 with meds, that would be one concern. They also told me to give tylenol between advil doses so we'll do that this next time and hopefully it won't shoot back up again.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I was going to suggest the syrup if the tinture was bothering you, but sounds like you are already there.

It sounds like you are on top of things, keep up the watch and the good work.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
Cassie

Ya I made some tincture way back but after a few years my husband convinced me to throw it out. It smelled like wet dog. There's no way anybody would have taken that if they were sick. I replaced it with the syrup.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,967 Times in 1,957 Posts
Links to commercial websites are OK, Cassie, as long as it isn't something YOU are trying to sell or profit from. Links, especially from newcomers, that are ONLY aimed at trying to drum up customers are forbidden. Those get shunted into a forum only accessible to moderators and the person spamming gets banned.

If your first message had started out "HI! I take SneezAll elderberry syrup at the first sign of colds or flu! Buy it HERE!" then yes, that would have been forbidden. What you did was OK, directing other members to a place that you found helpful.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Key
Member Level 5

Quote:
Key, thanks for the info on the 15 ml= 1 tsp. I have lots of medicine cups that only show ml and I had no idea what was what tsp. wise.
Cassie, maybe you just have your abbreviations mixed up but I want to make sure there isn't some confusion.

It isn't a teaspoon, it's a tablespoon.

15 ml = 1 Tablespoon (Tbs.)

3 teaspoons (tsp.) = 1 Tablespoon

I hope your family is better soon.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
Cassie

Oh shoot ya, I read that wrong. Kind of spacey on a half night sleep. I'm glad you caught that for me.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Cassie

So is it the norm that they are NOT testing for H1N1 when symptoms seem that it is probable? Or is it just my area?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
It's very much the norm - else labs would be buried in H1N1 testing. Most labs test for everything - especially hospital based labs or private labs contracted to hospitals.

I'm wondering though - as flu season gets properly into gear - will they do more testing to see if seasonal strains become an important part of the flu picture this season? They HAVE to keep watching for drift/shift - especially with H3N2.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #22
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Sue--With H1N1 this firmly entrenched, do you expect much seasonal to get a foothold this year?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #23
Cassie

I just heard that they said at the school board meeting that 15% of the kids from the elementary school were out with fevers today, and I heard from another mother that several from my daughters class at the junior high were out or went home sick today. Last week everything seemed fine now BAM they are all getting it. The plan is if it gets to 40% they would close the schools.

My DD fever went down to 100 this evening, but that was with rotating tylenol and advil all day, like the nurse said. She said she's dizzy and tired, but no bad cough yet, hopefully she'll not get that part.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #24
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,082 Times in 642 Posts
That's the way it seems to be working Cassie..,

BAM!!!
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 AM   #25
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I've been thinking a fair bit about that. Understand I can only guess & my guesses are as wild as the next person's on this matter. I believe areas that are currently in the throes of pH1N1, who may even be seeing a second wave by now WILL be hit with seasonal strains as flu season progresses. We're in the very earliest period of flu season & while we're not seeing a lot of seasonal yet, we might. One province in Canada is seeing enough H3N2 for it to be identified regularly every week now as well as a bit of 'B'. So it's around & I think, biding its time. We see it later here - our eak is usually well after Christmas & with the majority of people in Canada NOT being offered seasonal vaccine until at least December, I fear we may get hit pretty hard.

In the US, the same may apply unless more people than usual decide to go for seasonal vax. Many will have been left weakened by pH1N1 & while I don't think we'll see much seasonal H1N1, H3N2 will probably show up. There was concern about significant drift in the southern hemisphere this past season. I'm watching for signs of that showing up here - nothing yet.

Tags
fever, guess, headache