Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
janetn

Default H1 an idiot MD office

DH get the vaccine this am - the shot [dead virus] well by the afternoon he has a sore throat and cough, states he feels like he is coming down with something.
I do some checking around and this is NOT a reaction from the dead virus vaccine - per CDC I called them. So my next question is will Tamiflu interfer with the vaccines antibodies response - NO it wont, not with the dead virus vaccine. So I call his MDs office now I am not going to tell them he just had the vaccine I dont want to muddy the waters so to speak. I tell the medical assistant that he has aa cough body aches and a sore throat. AND that DH has a cardiac hx [MI and CABG] along with CHF and COPD. I cant even get an appt for him The medical assistant tells me that he does not have H1 but the seasonal flu because he does not have n &v or a T above 101 and to top it off she tells me he is not high risk per the CDC guidlines, and he does not meet the criteria for Tamiflu per the CDC. So no appt nor Rx for Tamiflu. does it matter that I tell this brain trust that there is no seasonal flu going around and that you dont always get n&v with H1 ? Nooooooo

Thank God I got Tamiflu last spring and have started him on it. Had I not had Tami my DH would be getting sicker by the hour. I will be finding a new MD
janetn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Dear Gawd... past time to find a new MD & I'm so very relieved to hear you've already got Tamiflu on hand.

OTOH, I feel awful for those finding themselves being 'served' by equally idiotic morons who don't have Tami stashed away.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
will Tamiflu interfer with the vaccines antibodies response - NO it wont, not with the dead virus vaccine.
It's a Neuramidase inhibitor which stops new flu particles leaving infected cells. The dead virus can't reproduce so it doesn't get to this stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseltamivir
Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,733 Times in 2,129 Posts
Wow, they can tell if you have H1N1 over the phone now. Sweet!
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

I'm really sorry to hear that they are giving you such a hard time, making you go through illness and worry when they could easily have given you the tami. Good thing you had it on hand, I could never get any and my Dr. wouldn't give any to me in case of flu.
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
janetn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Dear Gawd... past time to find a new MD & I'm so very relieved to hear you've already got Tamiflu on hand.

OTOH, I feel awful for those finding themselves being 'served' by equally idiotic morons who don't have Tami stashed away.
Exactly! BTW DH is feeling fine, the Tami did its job. I have no doubt that if I had not had it on hand he would be in the hospital today. How many needless deaths and hospitalizations have we had because MDs and their staff are not educated on H1???

Got a new MD one of the doctors I like at work came in to see some of his patients and I got him to take us as patients even though he isnt taking new patients

He kept kidding me saying he had to take a nurse as we make such rotten patients, said somebody has to bite the bullet and put up with us
Old 11-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
If he's worth it to you, I suspect you could have sat there & grinned through anything he said...LOL
Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
janetn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
If he's worth it to you, I suspect you could have sat there & grinned through anything he said...LOL
Oh yeah. A decent Doc is worth it. He is a younger doc who is without the God complex. Listens to the nursing staff A big plus in my book.

DH is completly recovered, thanks to the Tami no doubt.

Tags
idiot, office