Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Default 200 new ventilators arriving in Ontario today!

Just read an article that 200 ventilators are arriving in Ontario today, also read that 3/4's of the population have NOT yet been exposed to the H1N1 so it's going to get worse before it gets better!
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Haellan
Member Level 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleMaBell View Post
Just read an article that 200 ventilators are arriving in Ontario today, also read that 3/4's of the population have NOT yet been exposed to the H1N1 so it's going to get worse before it gets better!
I hope it doesn't get worse. My friend is going to visit her cousin in the hospital tonight. The cousin has H1N1 and is in the hospital in a coma on a ventilator. She has been on the ventilator for a week now and Dr. wants to do a tracheotomy on her. I hope she makes it.
Haellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
When it gets to trach stage, it's pretty bad. I hope your friend's cousin hangs in there.

You know, one thing I'd love to know more about & understand - how long it takes, in general, for a cytokine storm to successfully resolve, as well as the mechanics involved.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haellan View Post
I hope it doesn't get worse. My friend is going to visit her cousin in the hospital tonight. The cousin has H1N1 and is in the hospital in a coma on a ventilator. She has been on the ventilator for a week now and Dr. wants to do a tracheotomy on her. I hope she makes it.
I'm sorry to hear that, it's tough out there for sure with so many young health people so sick! I hope your friends cousin pulls through! It's shocking to see such illness and heart breaking. Is she in Ontario?

My cousin in NL just spent a week in the hospital, young Mom in her 30's, secondary illness pnemonia after battling H1N1.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
When it gets to trach stage, it's pretty bad. I hope your friend's cousin hangs in there.

You know, one thing I'd love to know more about & understand - how long it takes, in general, for a cytokine storm to successfully resolve, as well as the mechanics involved.
I would not know anything about that Sue, good question though.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I've not done much reading about cytokine storms & am not sure the full mechanism, (in patients who lived), has ever been properly described. I'd like to see some kind of graphing on the severity of the cytokine reaction over time - what would such a graph look like for the AVERAGE patient experiencing a cyt storm?

How does the severity of the cytokine reaction correspond to clinical symptoms - all that 'fun' stuff.

I'm not trying to sound like a doomer but we can't forget H1N1 isn't the only one out there. H5N1 is still lurking & that one, scares me to death. Even western medicine is going to have a hard time keeping CFR down to something we can live with in this world.

What about H3N8 currently affecting dogs? It could jump.

Other strains have shown intriguing abilities to sicken humans in very low numbers. But if they're already making small jumps 'over the fence', so to speak - they're learning...

We REALLY need to understand about this common illness that already takes a significant annual toll - even without pandemic status.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Sonny
Star Witness

Many interesting and informative stories in the monthly blog archives. Written in an easy to read conversational prose. Good comments from knowledgeable readers. makes this a good read.
gently introduces the reader into another world.

http://panvent.blogspot.com/

Quote:
This blog documents our attempt to construct a ventilator design for use in a Flu Pandemic that can be made from readily available materials at the last minute. Hopefully, the situation never arrives where this device will need to be used for a pandemic. But just in case... The Post below is the most recent. See the right side panel for other posts. This Blog was started on Feb 22, 2007
# ECMO Dialysis H1N1 and MacGyver
# Using a Dialysis Machine to do ECMO
# A High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilator Design
# Video of "Building a Pandemic Ventilator" Presentation
# Home Made Ventilators from the Polio Epidemic
# A Home Made Iron Lung for the Hospital for Sick Children
# Why There is a Need for the Pandemic Ventilator
# The Pandemic Ventilator at the Canada Wide Science Fair
# List Of All Posts

Quote:
This person is Dr Abhay Divekar of the Winnipeg Children’s Hospital Health Sciences Centre. He used his idea of doing ECMO on a dialysis machine to save the life of Keith Porcher. The spokesman for the hospital told a news conference “We felt the baby had no other option, that if this experimental procedure wasn't going to be tried, the baby was going to die."
!
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Haellan
Member Level 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleMaBell View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, it's tough out there for sure with so many young health people so sick! I hope your friends cousin pulls through! It's shocking to see such illness and heart breaking. Is she in Ontario?

My cousin in NL just spent a week in the hospital, young Mom in her 30's, secondary illness pnemonia after battling H1N1.
No, this woman is in th U.S. and my guess is she is in her 40's. As of today she is still on a ventilator in an induced coma. They have not gone ahead with the trach yet. I was told that a fungi was found in her blood and they are preparing for dialysis. I'm not sure if this is related to the swine flu or not.

Glad to hear your cousin is out of the hospital. Hope she is doing well.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Haellan
Member Level 2

Unfortunately the woman who was still in the hospital from the swine flu passed away yesterday. Per a report the final outcome was septic shock. My condolences to family and friends.

Tags
200, arriving, ontario, today, ventilators