Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
momcare

Default flu?

I have been coughing (mostly mildly) for a week. Of course I had lots of company/work during the holidays, and got too tired. I'm taking elderberry tincture and pleurisy root/boneset tea. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with very bad aching and fatigue, worse cough, but this doesn't seem like a cold. Are any of the flus going around slow in getting started? Maybe the elder put it off. I'm an RN,not working, so haven't seen this. The coughing did start suddenly, a week ago.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I hope your feeling better soon momcare.

I have 2 friends that were very sick with H1N1 over the holidays. One of them couldn't eat for 11 days, fluid only. She lives on her own and at one point called an ambulance for herself in the middle of the night.

H1N1 is still around.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,733 Times in 2,129 Posts
Hope you are feeling better soon. This flu season is bound to see all sorts of non-typical presentations I think.

And yes, still around. I got a note from kakready (mostly a lurker here, and a co-worker of mine) that he had it right around the weekend of the 25th.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
momcare

Default Dr.

Finally went to the doc. I'm now on cleocin, an antibiotic, and some other stuff. She said to do nothing (rest only) for several days or I'd be in trouble (lungs). So, That's what I'm doing. I do obey when they say that.
I have a Granddaughter who is having her tonsils out Wed., a baby shower to give on the 16th (with help of DD), and new Grandson to be born on Feb. 2nd! It will be Cesarean, and they'll need help when they bring baby home.
Don't have time for this!
Nurses are notorious for waiting for the very last minute to see a doc. I'm certainly guilty, but I wanted to give the wonderful elder it's chance. It's worked several times before. Unfortunately, the DD, who is to help with the shower, sounds just like I did 2 weeks ago when I got sick. I'm urging her to go be seen by her doc.....now.
Lots of people have this thing here, and it is being treated with antibiotics immediately. At the V.A. they call it "the crud", says a friend. Talking makes my voice sound awful.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
dessismama
Member Level 1

Glad to hear you got yourself the medicine. Whatever it is, this sickness sounds nasty. My son's chamber music partner and friend just got over the swine flu this week.

All my kids and DH had an awful 48 hour stomach bug between Christmas and New Year's. It was a mess.... the elder helped me not to get it, but it only goes so far...Sometimes you need traditional medicine to the rescue.

Hope you get all better in time for all the planned events. Congratulations on your new grandchild!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
momcare

Default thanks

Thanks to you all. I now believe, due to which antibiotics are being given for this coughing thing, that this is whooping cough. Only 20-40% of adults who have had it before get the "whoop", when they contract pertussis for the second time. I know a lot of people who are being given those drugs without even being told what they are ill with. I have fits of coughing, especially at night, and when trying to talk. Some in this house might say that it's quieter than usual around here!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
Mayerling
Member Level 5

I just got diagnosed with A Influenza. Presentation was very odd. 4-5 days of horrendous back pain and one day of vomiting. I thought that I had kidney stones. Yesterday, sudden onset of nausea, coughing, runny nose, sneezing, sore throat and lo grade temp.I thought then that it might be something other than a kidney stone attack so got tested and ended up positive. I am assuming that it is probably H1N1 so started myself of Tamiflu. Oh, bad, bad headache as well. I would not wish this on anyone. Nothing mild about it by the way.
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flu