Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default Window Well/ corner and side yard flooding

Torrential RAIN
so I have one window well that is flooding completly thru the window ... the side of the house and back corner of the backyard are in ankle deep to mid calf deep water...

the water leaking THRU the window is making a lovely path thru the basement to the floor drain ** hoping/crossing fingers that doesnt backup**

so

am I correct in thinking I need to dig down/around the window well (checking to be sure it isnt rusted) and and create a new drainage? I think I need to start in the back yard and work our way to the street away from the house...

digging trenches lining with gravel and installing some new perferated drain things?replacing the clay like soil with soil that has had something mixed with it to drain better then re seed the grass?

HELL with the amount of water I would almost want to instal my own culvert... might be more cost effective LOL
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
If it's not just the window well but that entire area of the yard backing up, yeah you'll need to do both the window well & yard. Gravel lined drains with perforated piping should do it but my knowledge of any of that is so out of date it's not funny.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Ill try to take pics Tomorrow only have my phone camera right now the kid has my camera in Cali with his grandma...

ughhhh sooo not fun

Im gonna have to borrow my friends teenager to come and help us digg and he is more high strung than my kid
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,512 Posts
The chance of rust is why we are installing the plastic/pvc window wellson our house. Kind of helps that we are on a little hill.

I feel for you KG.

We never had water in the basement until they put a drainage ditch behind us. Even in 1993 when most of downtown Des Moines was flooded.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

Sue is right. French drains are what you need. Trench along the foundation, put in a layer of gravel, then perforated pipe, then landscaping cloth on top of that, then fill the trench with gravel. You need to pay attention to the slope of the drain so the water flows downhill as desired, with no high points to interupt the flow.

With the volume of water you are dealing with, a surface drain may also be needed at the lowest point in that corner area to drain off large amounts of water from a cloudburst.

Last edited by Ought Six; 06-14-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

**sigh** the amount/depths of digging has me contemplating a Backhoe ...

the cost of the rental/person to drive it may save the hubby and friends backs to some extent...

after some research it looks that I need to go about a foot deep/6-8wide at least... for the trenching

and I dont know about the window well depth yet...

I got a guy coming out to quote me... then we weigh the cost vs. the backs...

Im betting the men will say screw it and pay for the backhoe...esp with the heat the way it is... it could take them 2 weeks to dig what a backhoe can dig in a day. (KIM these are overweight men that hate weather over 78 degrees LOL)
then they will only have to deal with the gravel and drain pipe and moving the dirt to the backyard. I have a couple of areas the fence is getting washed out so we will repurpose the grass/dirt that way
Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

sooo

had a guy come out and ideally we'd want to totally dig out to the footing (and if we we're gonna do it RIGHT we should go all the way AROUND the house)... which requires removal of the AC (if Im going to rip out the 20yr old AC Im gonna replace it...that only makes sense)... ummm yea totally wrong time of year... plus Id need to repair a foundation crack at the corner **sigh** which needs to be done anyway but cant afford it right now...

but he thinks he can regrade the yard to direct the water away from the house/basement well... what has happened he says that over time the sediment from the run off has caused new berms to be made and they need to be cut away...

good news is he will do this temp fix for $300 and then give me a ball park for the foundation work for us to save for...

the crack is a issue but we have a sump pump and we can patch it for now...

hell if im going to dig all that away from the foundation to the footing Im just gonna put in 2 of those Egress Basement windows ... then I can really finish out the basement right.

Last edited by kaneohegirl; 06-14-2010 at 05:10 PM.
kaneohegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
I kinda' thought that's what should be done, kg, but didn't want to say it. We have a similar situation, and are waiting for a guy who does excavation to stop by tonight or tomorrow to give us a price to regrade the driveway and backyard. Our lot slopes from the northeast corner at the street/driveway, to the southwest in the back. Our house is in the way...I feel your pain. And the dimwits that lived here before us built the detached garage at the end of the driveway (rear of house) LOWER than the sidewalk...constant water in there in the spring.

As for the crack in the wall, is it exposed on the inside, or is your basement finished to drywall there? We had a type of epoxy injected into a crack in ours, from the inside, but it was a hairline-type crack. Another, that was too wide for the injection, was dug down outside, filled, and a waterproof membrane placed over top. Wasn't very expensive...couple hundred for both, I believe, and in and out in less than a day.

Good luck. You have that, "while we're doing this we might as well..." thing going on. Not necessarily bad because it usually means things are being done properly, but rarely is it inexpensive. At least that's our experience.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

the inside
is setup in the Dry basement style as seen here we have the bright wall system

so any thing that leaks thru the walls will actually feed down and sumped up and out... and it stays really dry no mildew smell and Im really sensitive to that...

the exterior cracks need some exterior patching/repair...

but I think we will nurse them along a couple of years and fix it how it needs to be done.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
That Bright Wall system looks pretty good, kg. I've never heard of it before. We did P2000 insulation (foam core between foil layers) for the walls, sealing it to the Delta Floor membrane, and used plastic under the bottom of the interior walls, tuck taped to the Delta and P2000. Nice dry envelope. We've got engineered hardwood down there, and no problems. I do use a dehumidifier though, since three of us shower down there daily, and I don't like leaving the exhaust fan on for extended periods as creepy crawlies like coming in that way. Don't want no bugs in my basement.

Tags
corner, flooding, side, well or, window, yard