Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default AC/Furnace fan

how much can the electric bill go up/go down by using the fan set on ON instead of AUTO?

Im trying to figure out what is best... the ac/furnace guy says setting it on ON is better as it keeps the air circulating thru the house better keeping the temp in the house more even thus cycling the AC/Heat on/off less...

BUT will running the fan all the time run up the electric bill more?

Im trying to drop our bill down... we are using all floresent lights where we can there are a couple fixtures that need incandecent and following the kids/yelling at them to kill lights,

the only thing I can think of is the FAN on the heating/cooling unit...

I use the AC alot in summer as my lungs cant handle the the humidity very well... this winter our gas bill should be less cause we had a new wood insert put into the fireplace... but that bring the question of the FAN back into play... if I leave the fan to ON it will help circulate the warm air thru the house better right? I know heat rises but would it be better?

anyway... this is my round and round question....
note to self... I need to order some more wood... sigh
Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Samen
unregistered

Auto can start cooling in a room where the shun shines into while the rest of the house is cooler, my bet is ON.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,319 Times in 2,665 Posts
Get used to a higher temp.

Yea, I know, not something you want to hear.

One of the best things Ms. Pote ever did for us is wean me off colder temps.

Now, I am OK with 79-80F as long as the humidity is around 60 in the house and ceiling fans are running. Of course that means shorts and t-shirt and some bare feet but that is OK.

Edited to add the lungs and humidity. I would try a portable dehumidifier and still turn the AC up. Basically what you are doing is using an expensive running AC to remove moisture.

Yes, a dehumidifier does take more electricity than a fan to run, but less than a whole house AC.

I would also use a room AC in the bedroom at night and turn back the rest of the house.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

kg:
Quote:
"how much can the electric bill go up/go down by using the fan set on ON instead of AUTO?"
I could go into all the complex math, but there are just too many variables. The bottom line is, it will probably cost you a few bucks a day to run your fan 24/7. The only way to figure out whether it is really going to save you money on your power bill is try it, and see if your bill goes up or down. I would guess that if it is really hot out, probably running the fan is a good idea.

Much better would be to get an attic fan combined with a whole-house fan that will vent the hot air out through the ceiling up into the attic, and then outside. That will save you a ton of money, and make your house more comfortable.

The attic fan vents the hot air out of the attic. Most homes have a peaked roof with vents at the end. You can install the attic fan kit right in the existing vent. They have solar powered ones now, so you do not have to worry about wiring. It will also make your roof last longer by venting moisture out of the attic and prevent rot, mold and other nasty stuff.

A whole house fan mounts in the ceiling, usually in a hallway. It vents hot air from the house up into the attic, making the house much cooler. If you have an attic fan, too, the hot air the whole house fan blows up into the attic will then get sucked out of the attic by the attic fan.

http://www.atticfans.com/
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,772 Times in 853 Posts
I have a 3 speed fan on my A/c, and kept it on low all summer. BIlls were noticably less.
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Sonny
Star Witness

I do believe the central HVAC fan/Blower motor Upgrade to a more energy eff, unit is eligible or covered by the tax credit..

You might also want to buy a new green energy eff, water heater,
depending on how old your's is and which State you live in.
You might be surprised
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

An attic and whole house fan is also eligible for a energy saver tax break.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,076 Times in 637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Get used to a higher temp.

Yea, I know, not something you want to hear.

One of the best things Ms. Pote ever did for us is wean me off colder temps.

Now, I am OK with 79-80F as long as the humidity is around 60 in the house and ceiling fans are running. Of course that means shorts and t-shirt and some bare feet but that is OK.

Edited to add the lungs and humidity. I would try a portable dehumidifier and still turn the AC up. Basically what you are doing is using an expensive running AC to remove moisture.

Yes, a dehumidifier does take more electricity than a fan to run, but less than a whole house AC.

I would also use a room AC in the bedroom at night and turn back the rest of the house.
This summer the Mrs. and I got used to temps about four degrees higher. That saved us $125 a month.

We have ceiling fans, having them on keeps the aircon turned off longer between cycles.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 9,937 Times in 4,373 Posts
It wasn't deliberate on my part but I have definitely been acclimated to the heat in Florida. When we moved here, cold weather didn't bother me. I hated the heat. The first year I thought my eyeballs would melt. Now I don't feel warm until it is around 83 F. That seems to be the line where active housework becomes uncomfortable. If I am just sitting at the computer I don't want AC until it is 85 or so. Our AC is on for the FOOD. I keep telling Jason an air conditioned pantry would save us a lot of money.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

Earlier this summer, BG and I had a serious problem with mold/mildew in the basement. I think that happened because of my experimentation with ways to save $$ on the electric bill.

Anyway, one of the first things we did was to turn the basement air system fan on full-time. And we left it on for about 6 weeks nonstop, until we felt the threat of mold and mildew had passed because of the hotter, drier weather.

But I got curious about how much it cost to run that fan full-time so I whipped out my array of electrical test goodies and went to work. I used a clamp meter to measure the amps being drawn by the fan and found that it was 100 watts per hour. So since our electricity cost is 10 cents per killowat hour, that translates into 24 cents a day, or $7.20 per month. That's not too bad, all things considered. For one thing, the basement and the first floor air handling systems are tied to the same air intakes, so the cooler air from the basement floor was constantly being mixed and that helped to keep the basement at a nice, even temperature. But at the same time, when it got hot upstairs, we could turn on the fan for the first floor and get some of that cool air from the basement to cool the first floor instead of using the AC. CHA-CHING! And that saved a lot of pennies...

Now kaneohegirl, I don't know how much your fan motor pulls, but it should be close to ours. Most of the air moving systems for houses use a squirrel cage fan because they're more efficient and they move ALOT of air. But remember, if you run your fan all the time, the air filters will need to be cleaned or replaced much more often. Because if your filters are clogged, the power it takes to run that same fan will increase and cause problems. Ask me how I know???

The reason our basement fan got turned off is because the filters got dirty while I wasn't looking and that motor heated up and blew a fuse! That took some dinking around because I'm no HVAC type fellow. I just got lucky and happened to see an automotive type fuse in the panel and that was the problem. So I cleaned the filters and changed the fuse and we were back in business. I hope my round and round answer helped you with your round and round question.
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 3,885 Times in 1,677 Posts
Fortunately, after a thorough basement scrubbing with a bleach/vinegar solution for everything not wood and murphy's oil soap for the wood solved the mold/mildew problem in one fell swoop. Thankfully, we've had no problems since.

We keep the AC set on 82 and use regular floor fans to circulate air in the heat of the day when needed. That air blowing on us really makes a difference and we can generally make it without additional AC for the few hours in the heat of the day. The highest electric bill we had this summer was $150. We haven't run the AC at all for about a month now so we expect the bill to be back to around $85 again.

Once the night time temperatures drop below 82 (unless its really humid out) we open up the house and use the attic fan til bedtime. In the morning we run it again for a bit while the temps are still cool then we button up the house again and go through the day.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

hot water heater is gas...
I dont mind the house a little warmer... its the damp that does me in...

I cant do anything else to the house for the tax credit our fireplace insert is going to eat that.

its sad that the tax credit goes away this year... there are lots of things that need to be down around the house to increase the energy efficiency , ie windows, more insulation, ect

Tags
ac or furnace, fan