Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Other Crafts

Other Crafts A place to share your creative side: artwork, photos, crafts, or whatever tickles your fancy!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default small craft show

so I did this small show at a church... the booth cost was a little pricey and the traffic just wasnt there...not enough to warrant the cost but I figured I might make some contacts...

about halfway thru my day i guy came in my booth looked around asked if I make everything I tell him I sure do... he looks around a bit more...
he says to me Im the organizer of blah blah show have you heard of it... I tell him yep it was full 6 months ago... he says yes but I have gotten a cancellation,Id like you to be in my show next month.... WHOOOT.... LOL
he gives me the application an says that I need to let him know ASAP he only has 2 spots available... I told him to come back in a few an pick up a check...

Im very pleased with myself... with how the booth looked... that he picked me out of the 60 or so crafters.... yeah!!!
kaneohegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Misty
Member Level 5

Congratulations! You're launched and now on your way to having a lot of fun in the craft show circuit. You'll meet a lot of very nice people at the shows and earn a little extra money too. DH and I have been doing this for a few years and love it.

Watch the table fees. Most of the promoters, unless they're a church or non-profit organization, are in it for the profit they can make from them plus the attendance charge. The fees vary a lot and it's possible to find shows with lower ones. Around here, they can vary from being free to costing $400 for a 6 ft. table for 2 days. We generally stay with shows that are free (few and far between) or cost under $100 or charge a 10% fee. A rule of thumb used to be that your sales should be 10x whatever the fee is, but with the drop in the economy and the drop in sales at craft shows over the past 3-4 years, that figure is way too high for most crafters. You'll have to figure out what works for you and whether you're in it as a business or just for fun and pin money.

I'm happy for you!
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
angelsea
Member Level 2

Kaneo, That's great ! I make my own Jewelry designs ( Native Indian) and sell them to a local store. I haven't done any craft shows yet but it sounds like alot of fun. I will be making more creations this Winter and showing them in Spring/ Summer 2009 ( as long as people still have $ to spend).
angelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post
Watch the table fees. Most of the promoters, unless they're a church or non-profit organization, are in it for the profit they can make from them plus the attendance charge. The fees vary a lot and it's possible to find shows with lower ones. Around here, they can vary from being free to costing $400 for a 6 ft. table for 2 days. We generally stay with shows that are free (few and far between) or cost under $100 or charge a 10% fee. A rule of thumb used to be that your sales should be 10x whatever the fee is, but with the drop in the economy and the drop in sales at craft shows over the past 3-4 years, that figure is way too high for most crafters. You'll have to figure out what works for you and whether you're in it as a business or just for fun and pin money.
yea up till now the most I have spent on a show was $60.00...

this show is 2 days for $100... so still $50 a day not too harsh...

I have yet to do 10x my booth came close once. 1 x outta 5 not too bad LOL... Im hopping this big show will help boost the name out there and I can get some custom orders.

I do it for fun... to make a little extra money...heck I even find some cool stuff while Im out... I found a great garden bench made of concrete... It has fairys on it... I have seen these in garden dept around here anywhere from $50-200... I got it for $30...
kaneohegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craft, show, small