Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs

Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs Tips for maintaining your car, boat, and all things mechanical.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911
 
Glockd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,069
Thanks: 127
Thanked 1,683 Times in 791 Posts
Default K&N Performance Air Intake

I have an O5 Avalanche that I love. Although I no longer drive, the truck is mine, and despite its age, will remain my primary mode of transport with a driver. I am looking at installing a K&N Performance Cold Air Intake on the stock 5.3L V-8 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with these units. I am looking specifically at gas mileage and overall performance improvements. If I am going to spend just shy of $300 on this mod, I really want it to pay off.

After this, I plan on upgrading the exhaust system. Headers and a Flowmaster Cat-Back dual exhaust.
__________________


"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!
 
Twoolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tertius Colony, Tella Prime
Posts: 5,489
Thanks: 1,720
Thanked 1,772 Times in 853 Posts
The few pennies a gallon in savings you get probably would not justify the expense, unless you are looking for performance improvement, which would also be undetectable except on a dyno.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
rryan
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,976
Thanks: 2,344
Thanked 1,382 Times in 641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
I have an O5 Avalanche that I love. Although I no longer drive, the truck is mine, and despite its age, will remain my primary mode of transport with a driver. I am looking at installing a K&N Performance Cold Air Intake on the stock 5.3L V-8 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with these units. I am looking specifically at gas mileage and overall performance improvements. If I am going to spend just shy of $300 on this mod, I really want it to pay off.

After this, I plan on upgrading the exhaust system. Headers and a Flowmaster Cat-Back dual exhaust.
I have run K&N filters--they help but the increase in performance/mileage is marginally noticeable. I have not run the cold air intake you are talking about above but would look at a knock off first as you pay a major premium for the Flowmaster name.

The exhaust will help a lot but if this is one of those systems where you are installing headers, running them into on cat converter and then splitting it back into two mufflers/exhaust pipes you will not get much benefit as there wills till be a bottleneck at the converter.

If you can ditch the converter and run true dual exhaust, or add another converter and run that way. Take a look at Magnaflow, much better price and comparable quality/performance. I recently put them on my old power wagon and my mileage instantly went from an average of about 8.5 to nearly 12 and a very obvious power increase so they obviously breathe really well.

You might get more bang for your $ with a programmer (Bullydog or similar) then look at the other mods if that isn't enough.

Are there emission inspections in AZ?
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911
 
Glockd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,069
Thanks: 127
Thanked 1,683 Times in 791 Posts
Yes, we have emissions tests here, at least in my County. Not worried about running two cats, I actually did that on my 77 GMC shortbed with headers and dual exhaust. I bought my cats at a performance shop and spent less than any parts store wanted for one cat. This will not be a daily driver, but I do want it to be available to others should the need arise and one possible user (my dad) might need it to haul a trailer. Momma is getting a new truck, and this will become my tinker-toy. As for Flowmaster and K&N, I have no problem with other brands provided I can get like performance.

I miss my 71 Ventura and 77 Shortbed. I need something to bust knuckles on.
__________________


"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3
 
Ought Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35,164
Blog Entries: 15
Thanks: 180
Thanked 392 Times in 328 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
The exhaust will help a lot but if this is one of those systems where you are installing headers, running them into on cat converter and then splitting it back into two mufflers/exhaust pipes you will not get much benefit as there wills till be a bottleneck at the converter.

If you can ditch the converter and run true dual exhaust, or add another converter and run that way.
These days you can buy high-flow performance converters. They are expensive, though, especially if you are running two of them. They certainly lessen the restriction.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
rryan
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,976
Thanks: 2,344
Thanked 1,382 Times in 641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
Yes, we have emissions tests here, at least in my County. Not worried about running two cats, I actually did that on my 77 GMC shortbed with headers and dual exhaust. I bought my cats at a performance shop and spent less than any parts store wanted for one cat. This will not be a daily driver, but I do want it to be available to others should the need arise and one possible user (my dad) might need it to haul a trailer. Momma is getting a new truck, and this will become my tinker-toy. As for Flowmaster and K&N, I have no problem with other brands provided I can get like performance.

I miss my 71 Ventura and 77 Shortbed. I need something to bust knuckles on.
Cool--if you run two cats and headers--true dual --you should get a really decent performance boost.

Look into Magnaflow--they make some good stuff
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Sonny
Star Witness
 
Sonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the safe house
Posts: 5,654
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 1,716
Thanked 694 Times in 460 Posts
Based on the used oil analysis reports at BITOG, K&N filters allow more dirt to get in.



Last edited by Sonny; 09-04-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
DBA
Member Level 2
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sturgeon County, Alberta
Posts: 281
Thanks: 31
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It's been a while so I don't remember the exact time line but shortly after buying my 98 Chev Silverado 4X4 I put a K&N in. At some point I began having engine problems, again I can't recall the details. I was told I needed a new 'mass airflow detector' as it was fouled do to the oil from the filter and it wasn't cheap. Upon arguing with then about how could that be they produced a Chev service bulletin indicating this was a problem. I kept the old detector as I was going to wash it out, put it back in and see if that was all that needed to be done but never got to it. Now I'm pissed with K&N about my bill and go to their website where I found them profusely denying that there filters cause any problems. End of that story.

After a while I put it back in the truck and after all this time have had no problems. Perhaps the factory load of oil was to heavy. When I clean and spray the filter with oil I make sure I don't put a whole lot on and saturate it.

I have K&N in my 96 Toyota 4runner and a 06 Ford Triton v10 as well with no problems. I find washing them, drying and reloading a pain compared to chucking in a paper filter, therefore it probably doesn't get done as often as they should be.

With the additional cost of their cleaning fluid and oil, are they worth it, I don't know. Replacing the air box would make sense, just like when I used to flip the lid upside down on the old doughnut filter shroud so the air didn't have to get sucked through the tube on the side.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
jason
Official Peon
 
jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,445
Thanks: 50
Thanked 561 Times in 311 Posts
I'm a fan of OEM intakes these days. Reliability trumps 2 extra hp that you can't feel.

Even my Hayabusa has the stock filter
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, intake, kandn, performance

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.