Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default Reno - Wow, That's Chaotic!

Those of you who've been building or doing renos... I now have a little appreciation for what you've gone through. Our building is 43-44 years old & out 'little' tub replacement involved more than I'd expected. I knew better - but I sure didn't think about it!

First, it's not a big bathroom but I have bathroom stuff all over the rest of the apartment. I can't believe I had it all squirreled away in there & could easily get hold of it when I needed it!

I'm impressed with how well built it was initially. The tile in the tub enclosure was pretty much intact - before they tore it out today. The grout had held up superbly for 40+ years although there were a few discoloured spots I couldn't remove that were driving me crazy. The leak we experienced last week WAS recent - my fear was that we'd had water leaking under the tub for a while. No, you could see about 5 spots where it had seeped through the drywall & there was a tiny bit of mould there but other than that, it was bone dry & solid. The mould spots were sprayed with a nasty fungus/algea/bacteria/everything killer & thoroughly dried before the new tub was set in place.

New pipes for a new unifaucet, a new overfill drain, new showerhead... all to go with my shiny new tub. The old one had a few scratches in it & the drain was starting to rust.

Most of the new drywall is up. That will be finished tomorrow & the tile will be insatlled. Apparently, I'm getting a nice WHITE tile - 4 x 6" or so. Good - fewer grout lines to clean & the 'in' shades of beige/brown tiles will be 'out' in a few years. Can't get a nice shine on those either. My old bath tile had purple lines running through it but the counter top was blue with 'marbled' greys in it - this new tile will make for a way more uniform look.

The guys cleaned up pretty good before they left. I'll run the vaccum around later especially now that I can vaccum up spots that haven't seen the light of day in several decades.

Wednesday, they'll finish the grouting & then we can use our shower/tub again.

To those of you who've done BIG renos - you have my deepest respect. That's a lot of mess to deal with.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,866 Posts
Now you know why my DH refused to reno the bathroom at the same time as the kitchen. they're both gut back to the studs rooms.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

I assume 'reno' means to remodel. Here, you say 'Reno' and people think you are talking about a city in Nevada.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ought Six For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
You're right Ought - especially Capitalized at the beginning of a Thread Title - sorry about the confusion.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
flu-n-u
Member Level 1

I thought you were talking about some place in Nevada...snow storm damage or something?
flu-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chaotic, reno, wow