Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Talking The Clutter Club - Spring Cleaning Project

I was born to a cluttering family & some are genuine, certified hoarders. I am neither a hoarder nor a clutterer but by Gawd, I have to work at it because I have a lot of the mind set of a hoarder built into my bones. I have to fight an urge to hang on to stuff 'that might come in handy some day.' or 'Maybe I'll take up this hobby.' Or - my favourite: 'I'm a prepper!' Lots of ways to abuse those at times, pragmatic traits & I have to watch it. Another biggie I have in terms of traits is... I like to do things as close to perfectly as possible & that's not always realistic. Hell, it's rarely realistic.

Luckily, I keep on top of my own negative traits or at least... stay aware of them & when I can't fight them... I either work around them or try to turn them into something positive I can use. Which brings us to spring cleaning. Yup - it's that time. "But it's only February!" True that but February weather tends to suck. It looks like we're going to get an early spring, not really having experienced a winter so far & once it turns nice, I'd rather be out biking, walking, bird watching & crawling around watching plants grow. If I start spring cleaning now, I can smugly enjoy my excursions - knowing the big work is done.

I had a busy weekend dealing with filing, personal matters & took today off - just mossed around & relaxed. Tomorrow - spring cleaning starts.

The first hurdle is always... HOW? Where do you start? What order do you do things in. A clutter bunny such as I fight being can easily bog down there. In the end, it doesn't matter what room you start in - as long as you start. Not sure if I'm going to do the 'bedroom/bathroom wing' first or the 'livingroom/kitchen/den wing' next. I'll decide when I get there. And for those of you who think it's ridiculous to speak of wings in a tiny apartment that might come in at something south of 800 feet - allow me my pitiful illusions - please!

But an easy starting point is the entrance hall & that's the goal for tomorrow with Wednesday to be used to take care of any maintenance tasks generated by the work to be done tomorrow. And tomorrow's work is as follows... take down our 'collection' of hats hanging on hallway hooks - they all need to be vaccumed of stray dust & washed. Do that first so the hats have time to dry. Remove & clean walking sticks from their hanger in the hall - quick job. Take down & clean some wall art - a few cheap prints & family photos.

Move from wall & empty a food cupboard I have in the hall - wipe it out. That was recently done so shouldn't take long. Check the stored food in there - a few things have been there untouched a long time - mainly baking items. Make sure they're okay & think of ways to use up those getting close to 'best by' date. Scrub our 'shoe shelf' - it's made of wood so I want to give it a few layers of Pledge once it's cleaned & dry. Scrub out the boot tray.

Then - wash walls, doors, door knobs, thermostats - anything vertical. Follow that up by scrubbing the floor.

That's enough for one day - even though the hall isn't that big. Best to start small & spread it out over several weeks. That way I don't wear myself out & I don't end up putting the whole thing off because I've allowed myself to get overwhelmed at the thought of aaaaaaaaaaaaall the work involved. Making lists helps too - by writing a ton of small tasks down, I get to scratch things off quickly - that keeps me motivated & working.

Writing it here adds accountability...LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,752 Posts
Sue's Spring cleanings are legendary.

I suspect she might slip the relatives some old fashioned Spring Tonic in there.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,239 Times in 4,501 Posts
Quote:
The first hurdle is always... HOW? Where do you start?
Flood your kitchen. It is a strong motivator.

I have a habit of NOT throwing out or putting away things that accumulate on my counters. Knife block is okay, a nice container with utensils is okay. But then I put my favorite knife off to the side, and my big strainers, and leave the EVOO, flavored and spiced oils out because I use them a lot, plus a few jars of favorite spices... and pretty soon I can't see the counter for the clutter. All Essential, mind you - but still, clutter. Yesterday all cabinets were emptied and scrubbed clean, everything in them wiped down with alcohol or sent through the dishwasher before going back in, sink cleaned and recaulked, granite scrubbed and sealed, floors and trim scrubbed and polished, blah blah blah. Boring until I step back and admire my clean kitchen. I should take a picture. lol. Jason was home yesterday and deep cleaned the bathrooms while I tackled the kitchen (he was so proud of his sparkling clean toilets - it was cute!) so they have had their Spring Cleaning as well. He replaced the air filter with a HEPA filter on Saturday, gutted the sink cabinet on Sunday, and the plumber was here yesterday to replace the cut off valve under the sink. Hopefully we have found and eradicated all places mold can hide. The rest of the house is fine... I deep clean one room per month so my recent illness didn't do too much damage. The only thing left is the towels and throw rugs I used to soak up the water that flooded the kitchen. I think I'll be done laundering all those by 2014.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I hear you on kitchens. I barely have any counter space. I have one small area of counter between the fridge & stove. My knife block, old stonewate crock with kitchen utensils, toaster, pot holders & lazy Susan with condiments on there... leaving me about 1 square foot of working space. There's a strong incentive not to let stuff pile up more than day or so. The other counter - the 'long run' is interrupted by the kitchen sink. Nothing is allowed to accumulate on that.

Flooding - yeah - that's surely incentive to do the kitchen & personally it's the room I have to do - I'm always bemused at how much stuff I can cram into my cupboards. Spring cleaning day for the kitchen is when I really evaluate what's there - if it doesn't get used - out! It's amazing how many kitchen gadgets can pile up when you're not paying attention.

I'll need a spring tonic after cleaning.

Waiting until 1000 or so to start. My excuse? SD was home late & is sleeping. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
flourbug

I make mistakes when I am tired. Example, we moved the puppy out of the kitchen into our bedroom while we cleaned up. Puppy has a crate with a nice soft bed and housebreaking is going well. I grab her as soon as she wakes up in the morning and she proudly does her business outside. Last night I woke up when I heard her gagging. Uh oh. I checked on her and she was fine... if not a little confused why I was bothering her... but she went right back to sleep. This morning the alarm went off and a minute or so later, another gag. Jason said, "It sounds like she's right next to the bed." She was. I forgot to close the door to the crate, and for my punishment I got to clean the big wet spot on the floor.

Sooo... I fumble around doing harmless things, until I am wide awake. Some days, it takes a while. Like today. It's raining. I'm sleepy. That's MY story.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I may take a nap before starting to be perfectly honest. Didn't sleep as well as I would have liked - some issues with my SD rearing their ugly head or about to & I spent many late hous rehearsing various ways of killing her.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
flourbug

Just let that clutter build up, Sue, and when it is finally shoveled out and they discover the skeleton, claim you thought she moved out. Two birds, one stone.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Don't

Tempt

Me

And I refuse to do her room. She's a week shy of 23 & if daddy wants to treat her like a princess - his call. I will not.

Why I'm irked - seems she's been neglecting to pay her student loan - she's 3 months past due & they're getting pissy. I told him not to even THINK of bailing her out because that wasn't going to fly with me.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
flourbug

Sounds like you need to take a long sharp stick and draw a line in the sand.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

It got drawn about an hour ago - both by her dad & myself. NOT what she wanted to hear but tough. We won't be around forever.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

About to finish lunch - then I'm going to put my currently homicidal rage to good use... scrubbing walls & disinfecting stuff to within an inch of its sorry life...LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Oaky, got through my scheduled cleaning - much to my surprise. I just didn't FEEL like it today & kept finding excuse after excuse not to start. I finally started by moving everything that had to be moved & getting those hats in soapy water... in the kitchen sink. No choice but to deal then. It only took about 2 hours of solid work - I stretched it into four. I'm a big fan of frequent breaks...LOL

I think tomorrow I'll tackle the long hall towards the bedrooms. That involves a lot more wall space but it's cleaner. One problem - the bookcase lives in the hall... oh Gawd...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,472 Posts
You've got me wanting to start mine so that I can get all of the stuff together for a yard sale. If DH get's all of his stuff in one box and off to the side of the dining area I can stack all the boxes of books and bags of clothes in there. If I sell it all for $1 each I'll making a few thousand.

Tags
cleaning, club, clutter, project, spring