Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,244 Posts
Unhappy Company coming

I've got company coming to stay for about 3 weeks, which means real clean-up has to happen. It's not done by moving pile A to room B, to be out of sight. I've made myself a list, and figure it will take at least 6 days to get the stuff done on it. Company is coming on a last minute flight, so I'm not even sure exactly when my time will be up.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,248 Times in 4,503 Posts
My son in law has severe allergies. Even a little dust will get him sick. When he and DD come to visit the house gets a really GOOD cleaning beforehand. I actually like them to visit more often, as that forced cleaning keeps the house looking nice. lol
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
I've got company coming to stay for about 3 weeks, which means real clean-up has to happen. It's not done by moving pile A to room B, to be out of sight. I've made myself a list, and figure it will take at least 6 days to get the stuff done on it. Company is coming on a last minute flight, so I'm not even sure exactly when my time will be up.
"I will be more than glad to assist in making local hotel reservations. There is a nice place right down the road...."
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

This is a young guy from Spain. He and we, don't have enough money for him to stay in a hotel. I have been putting this cleaning off for a long time now, and it needs to be done.

Calorie Counter
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
This is a young guy from Spain. He and we, don't have enough money for him to stay in a hotel. I have been putting this cleaning off for a long time now, and it needs to be done.
I guess it depends if you invited him or he self invited.

I have gotten past the point where I let people self invite and use my place like a crash pad to save on travel costs. (Especially last minute.)

If it is someone I like and would enjoy their company, they don't expect me to be a chauffeur the entire time, stays low maintenance, and helps out around the house I am good.

Otherwise, "sorry no room at the inn."
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
gsgs
searching for truth

company helps to clean
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
I'm with gsgs.

I live like I live. You don't like how I live, don't stay where I live.

You want it cleaner than I keep it? Cool...here are the cleaners, sprays, rags and mops! Do you do windows?

Mouse, it's a MALE coming....how freaking clean do most males need a place? Relax and enjoy the visit, don't sweat the small stuff. Even dust bunnies are small.
proteus (07-07-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post

Mouse, it's a MALE coming....how freaking clean do most males need a place? Relax and enjoy the visit, don't sweat the small stuff. Even dust bunnies are small.

How sexist is that?

It depends who the male is. Maybe it is not a relative but a friend of the daughter.

Mouse wants to lend a good impression so the guy marries the daughter.

How sexist is that!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
sandyd
Beach Fun

Probably very.

Clean it up good if you can marry her off!!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
gsgs
searching for truth

marries the daughter and divorces when he finds out the truth ?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
sandyd
Beach Fun

Sure, gsgs....why not? Doesn't that break the parent responsibilities legally so parents are off the legal hook for kids under 26?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I still have a lot to do, but have gotten some major things done already.

I got the blinds hung up in the living room that have been sitting there, waiting for the magic moment for about 10 years now.

I cleaned and disinfected the refrigerator.

Cleaned the trash out of DH's office without touching any of his "stuff." Last time I did that he was angry about me being in his office, but this time I did it to his satisfaction, and he was grateful.

I ordered, put together, and filled very large DVD shelves. That emptied one cabinet of mine, and got the DVD piles off of every flat surface in the living room.

I have been cleaning windows, frames, and re-doing screens where needed.

I sorted a catch-all clothing pile, and general crap corner in my bedroom. I still need to finish the dusting in there, and change the curtains.

The cob webs have been removed from the walls and ceilings.

Major things left to do:

Clean my office, and get the guest bed set up in there.

Iron my pile.

Clean the aquarium.

Weed the flower beds.

These are all things that needed doing anyway, and this is a good time to get them done. Usually every time I have vacation, I am too sick or injured to get anything done. Having the whole house go to seed like this has been making me very depressed. When I'm working I just don't have the time to tackle major cleaning projects, I only manage minimal up-keep. None of the other family members seem to feel responsible for anything but minimal tasks either, and it just doesn't work like that. Every time they have time off, they just stretch out and relax. When I was a kid spending the weekend at my father's house, everyone worked and cleaned on Saturday, and Sunday was a free day to relax. When you don't have regular working schedules for the family, it is hard to organize the family to get tasks done. The girls feel put upon when they are supposed to vacuum and clean the bathrooms even once a month. I want it done weekly so it doesn't get too horrible to clean...just forget that. I end up having to do their tasks because I can't look at the filth anymore.

Today I started myself off with some fun time with the cats. A package came in the mail that was bound with string. That string just screamed "cat toy" at me. We played so long that poor Loki's ears and nose were all pink and hot. The little lard butt isn't used to moving around that much. Fussel and Teddy got in on the action too. I think Tigger isn't feeling well lately for some reason...stomach maybe.

Calorie Counter
Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
gsgs
searching for truth

maybe you should post pics, if that motivates you ;-)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Mouse - that's bloody MARVELLOUS!

I'd say more but I've got to run for my bus. But in short - kudos+++.

You deserve more than a pat on the back for all that work.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

The family is impressed so far. Sort of like, gee, I didn't know it could look so nice in here (if we didn't all live like slobs).

Calorie Counter
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,248 Times in 4,503 Posts
Quote:
I didn't know it could look so nice in here
Our last home was a little gem. Small, but situated on a beautiful lake with fabulous views of the setting sun. I had visions of clearing out all the builder quality schlock and making it look like a modern loft, and building a huge sun room onto the back to take advantage of the views. But Jason HATED the house. Hated it. Did not like the layout, it was too small, didn't like the neighborhood, etc. Because we knew we'd eventually move, Jason did not want to put any money into the place. We lived with old furniture, between animals and invalids the carpets were steam cleaned to death, if something broke we stuck it together with duct tape and spit...

When we finally moved out, the economy sucked so we decided to rent the house rather than sell it. The carpets were ripped out and replaced with new. Professional painters and cleaners came in. The appliances were repaired.

When they were done, Jason said, "You know, this is a pretty nice little house!"
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

That's when you quietly put down the heavy/sharp/deadly implement you happen to have in your hand, turn on your heel & quietly walk out.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,473 Posts
Mouse I learned a quick trick to keeping the bathroom clean from my DGK's Mom. Because they have a toddler they are potty training they have a lot of baby wipes in the house. She keeps one pack of the wipes in each bathroom and after putting the boys to bed she takes a wipe and quickly wipes down the seat, lid and then outside of the bowl. I like having the wipes handy in the summer to help cool off so I tried her method and it works great.
Mousehound (06-29-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I spent yesterday in the garden with DH. He trimmed the lawn, I trimmed the bushes, and pulled weeds. Then we cleaned the weed growth out between the cracks in our brick path and patio. Later I managed to put up two more screens to keep the bugs out.

Today I'm tempting fate by drying my laundry outside. It should ensure rain soon.

Calorie Counter
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Well, my time is up. Our guest is coming tomorrow. I didn't get all the stuff done that was on my list, but I got a lot done. I still have a couple of days of vacation left, so I might still do stuff in spite of our guest. My office looks like a paper bomb went off in it, and until that is cleared up, I can't kill the dust bunnies in there. I also wanted to get my aquarium cleaned, and all the ironing done. I ironed for two nights, but still have a lot left. I hate ironing big table cloths, and I've got at least 3 of them in that darned pile. With all of the cleaning, and laundry hanging, the humidity level in the house is horrible. Even outside, we have 92% humidity right now. I had faint hopes that my jeans would be dry by tomorrow, but I can totally forget that. We have more humid weather waiting for us the next few days.

Calorie Counter
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,723 Posts
Mouse, It sounds like you've put yourself in order! I look at the state of my house as a reflection of my mental health. I never expect it to be perfect but it makes me happy when its pretty and mostly organized. There is always something that needs to be done for improvement but that's OK, that's real life. There's not a thing wrong with doing a few more things while you're on vacation but don't forget to take some time for yourself. Its your vacation!!! Enjoy your company!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
Mouse, it sounds like you've done plenty! I admire you for ironing. I've all but given up on doing that except for very rare, important occasions. I actually can't recall the last time I ironed something, except for when I'm sewing. So points to you!

BG, I agree about the state of my house being a reflection of my mental state. After almost 3 months of my being on "limited activity", my house is an undeclared disaster area. And so is my head.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,598 Posts
On arrival put him straight to work doing some cleaning .

You need a slave right ?

So get him started from day one then inquire about
his cooking skills . No skills ? great opportunity to learn .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

What's an iron? Aren't clothes meant to looked slightly lived in?
Cactus Az (07-07-2012), sandyd (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #25
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,473 Posts
When I need something ironed I put it in the dryer with a damp cloth and take it out as soon as it's done. Somewhere in this house is 2-3 irons and at least 2 boards. The only one handy is the tiny one for crafts.

Tags
coming, company